U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:07 AM

35,886 posts, read 64,904,830 times

Advertisements

What projects do you have planned - or are doing - right now?

I want to put recessed lighting (can lights) in the kitchen and hearth room. I guess that is next on the list.

What are you all planning? Doing it yourself? Gonna get some assistance? Hiring a contractor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 09:12 AM

8,191 posts, read 27,332,542 times
I just closed on a 1920's home that needs some love to live up to its potential.

On my DIY list: gut & replace kitchen, refinish original oak floors, tile kitchen floor (nasty old vct has already been ripped), rip & replace bathroom floors, and paint, paint, paint.

Once spring gets here there will be a major fence/hedge discussion in the back yard and some serious weeding & planting out front.

This house has some plumbing concerns that seem to float between doing it or having it done. I am guessing that it will end up being some of each.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:16 AM

9,113 posts, read 15,230,786 times
We just had our kitchen backsplash tiled. Gift from the parents...it came out awesome. Now we can actually clean the grease off the wall when it splatters from the cooktop LOL.

I'm looking into insulating the garage and crawlspace walls (even though its very late in the season to do it.) I won't do it till '09 because I'll get a tax credit for the materials (so basically cost me $0 except for my time & labor).

Wife is painting interior rooms one by one when she has the time. She can't stand the white walls anymore...LOL

Also in the spring we'll be looking at shrubs for our property line....

Old 11-29-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I just closed on a 1920's home that needs some love to live up to its potential.

On my DIY list: gut & replace kitchen, refinish original oak floors, tile kitchen floor (nasty old vct has already been ripped), rip & replace bathroom floors, and paint, paint, paint.

Once spring gets here there will be a major fence/hedge discussion in the back yard and some serious weeding & planting out front.

This house has some plumbing concerns that seem to float between doing it or having it done. I am guessing that it will end up being some of each.
Oh, what a wonderful goal! I expect you are going to have all sorts of interesting projects in the coming months! You should start a blog and post pictures of all the renovations you do!

Good luck w/ your new (vintage!) home!!!

Old 11-29-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
We just had our kitchen backsplash tiled. Gift from the parents...it came out awesome. Now we can actually clean the grease off the wall when it splatters from the cooktop LOL.

I'm looking into insulating the garage and crawlspace walls (even though its very late in the season to do it.) I won't do it till '09 because I'll get a tax credit for the materials (so basically cost me $0 except for my time & labor).

Wife is painting interior rooms one by one when she has the time. She can't stand the white walls anymore...LOL

Also in the spring we'll be looking at shrubs for our property line....
Hey, Jack!!!

What a truly thoughtful gift - I know you are thrilled! Yeah, nice to be able to get those splatters off the wall, Hee Hee!!!

We have been in this house six years and ONLY ONE white room to paint. I have put off that bedroom for so long . . . and I found 2 gallons of Valspar "mistake paint" at Lowe's last weekend . . . for $5 a gallon! Whoo Hoo!!! It is exactly the color I had thought about for that bedroom, so I grabbed the cans up . . . DH gave me a quizzical look . . . he is the one who will have to do the bulk of the painting. I (conveniently, LOL) have a pinched nerve problem that makes it nearly impossible for me to reach up for any period of time. I can do the lower parts of the walls, of course. Not sure when I will be able to talk him into starting on that project . . .

Excellent idea on the insulation! It will be a smart thing if you get the tax credit, so that only makes sense to wait til you can make it as cost effective as possible. That should help year round!

There are other things we would like to do but I am hesitant to spend the money right now. This economy has me a little uptight about letting go of my cash . . .

Old 11-29-2008, 06:19 PM

654 posts, read 3,018,579 times
I am process of redoing my bathroom which will be pretty much a gut. Have taken down the old tub/shower surround and now have the moldy drywall to remove next. Working on rewiring the bathroom so that I can have new vanity lights and update the old receptacles to GFCI's. May plan to add a small window above the toilet so as to allow more natural light. Yep this will be a fun adventure! :-)

Old 11-29-2008, 10:16 PM

244 posts, read 1,042,634 times
We have done a ton of work on our yard (ripping out huge dead shrubs and ivy, moving rock around, pool work), painted all the cabinets in 2 baths and our kitchen since they were all real wood and the configuration was pretty good. I am slowly painting all the rooms cause I am also sick of the white walls (been here 9 months). What do we still plan to do...change the vinyl/carpet to hardwoods, re-landscape our front yard (since it's still tore up cause of winter), replace our kitchen counters, insulate and sheetrock the garage, move a storage shed to the other side of the yard so we can build out the back of the garage for more storage, paint the whole outside and add trim to our windows, repair a sag in our roof and add a pillar, and add a porch to go with the spanish style of the house. Oh, and recessed lighting in kitchen and living room. That's all I can think of for now. We do all this work ourselves cause my hubby can do anything and would NEVER pay anyone for something that he can "eventually" do...hehe. Good thing we plan to be here for a few years

Old 11-30-2008, 11:12 AM

20,337 posts, read 25,314,277 times
Wow all of you sound really busy. My husband and I are actually slowing
down for the next couple of months. We started building our own house, just the 2 of us, in June. We moved in the house in October. We just finished the ceiling in the main living area and the master bedroom. We still have to build closets in the bathroom for the water heater and 2 closets in the office. Once the closets are done we can do the drop ceilings in the bathroom and the office. Then we need to repair any cracks in the drywall, install all the floor trim, and do any touch up paint.

As weather permits this winter we need to add another strand of barbed wire to our fence, start building a deck, and put a new gate in.

Next spring we will do all of our landscaping and start my first garden. Oh yeah we also have to finish our mile long driveway.

This is our story if you want to check it out.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...tennessee.html

Lisa

Old 11-30-2008, 05:55 PM

41,314 posts, read 38,291,588 times
We are refitting a laundry room closet into a mudroom type space. Tall cabinet, cubbies overhead, large coat hooks, beadboard back, bench seat with underneath boot storage. We just removed the drywall and are deciding how far up we want to remove the framing. We are a little apprehensive because there is a plate of 2 2x4's at the ceiling - we are pretty sure the wall is not load-bearing. The framing and drywall also jutted out about a foot on each side of the closet. We are hoping when we remove all the framing, the wall stays up.

We just got done installing wainscot paneling in our dining and trimming out our bare columns with mouldings to match, as well as crown throughout.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:03 PM

1,367 posts, read 4,952,322 times
We moved this summer into a house built in 1950 and are doing major renovations.

What we have done:
1. Drywalled over pine paneling and front closet in living room
2. Installed mosaic tile on fireplace hearth
3. Built and installed mantle
4. Replaced ceiling fan
5. Installed crown & trim

What we are doing:
1. Flipping guest bedroom closet to hallway and combining with hall closet to build one big space for water heater and w/d
3. Building new closet in guest bedroom
2. Flipping front closet into master bedroom, combining with existing closet
3. Gutting kitchen - painting stock wood cabinets from Lowes, installing sandstone tile counter, repairing floor tiles, etc. etc.

In the future:
1. Replacing all interior doors
2. Refinishing hardwood floors
3. Drywalling over pine in hallway
4. Relaxing in our new home! (yeah, right)

And yes, my husband and I are doing this all ourselves while living in the home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House