Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:55 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times

Advertisements

I am buying a home that was built in 1988 and has the original tank water heater in the garage.....original and still works like a charm per the current homeowners. The house is not that big...only 1670 square feet under air. Should I replace the water heater now or just wait until it goes bad....and how much would it cost me ? Can I install it myself or do I need a plumber ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 08:05 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,381 times
I think the lifespan of your water heater depends on both the quality of the appliance, and the quality of the water running through it.

I used to live in an area with EXTREMELY hard water. It wasn't uncommon for people to be replacing their water heaters every 3-5 years.

One thing that could increase the life of the appliance (and something very few people do) is to put a hose on the tap at the bottom of the heater, and drain it every so often (turn off the power to the water heater first). This will get most of the sediment out of the bottom of the tank. It'll improve the water heater's efficiency and possibly extend its life.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:10 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:16 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
You're right.

The only time I might disagree with that, would be if you knew your current water heater was horribly inefficient, and you did enough research to know that a new high-efficiency model could pay for itself, in energy savings, within a year. Adding to the incentive is the fact that a lot of local utility companies offer substantial rebates for high-efficiency appliances.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:18 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Older heaters (over 15 years) are good candidates for replacement if they are installed in such a way that a leak will be damaging to the property. Too many heaters are installed without pans and drains to channel water. It sometimes only takes one more power outage to a heater to cause thermal shock leading to a leak.

My experience is limited but I have seen heaters fail in the 10 to 15 year range most often.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:35 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
Not only are you living on borrowed time, and are well past replacement time, but replacement would benefit you in a couple of ways. One, it isn't going to go out at the worst possible time, and a new one is soooo much more efficient than your antique. It will give you better, quicker hot water, and will cost far less to operate.
Change it now and you won't have to worry for another 12 years.
What was it your mother used to say..?? A stitch in time saves nine...! She was correct...

Old 12-08-2008, 10:04 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,822 times
I would say a typical water heater lasts 15-20 years. That doesn't mean it won't require replacement thermostats...or heating elements (if electric) or replacement coils or solenoid valves (if gas).

Old 12-08-2008, 11:56 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Shoot. The last water heater I replaced was 50-something years old. And the only reason I replaced it was because its little metal legs had rusted to the point where they weren't going to support the body of the tank much longer. The great-great nephew of the plumber who installed it installed my new water heater.

A 1988 water heater isn't that old. It's probably nearing the end of its life; however, it may last another 5 months or another 5 years. Why don't you wait and see how it works for you before deciding what to do?

I'd be saving up, though, just in case. And even if it does die on you, it shouldn't be that hard to find a plumber to replace it within 24 hours.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:03 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,299,067 times
A water heater that lasts 50 years is a record holder. Average life spn is 12 - 16 years.

Like others have said...if the unit is in a place where it will damage property if the tank leaks - then change it out.

Most people will replace a car BEFORE it dies in the middle of the road, yet will let everything in their house fall apart before they take action. I guess I just do not understand the logic there.

If you do not believe in preventative maintenance, then just wait until it dies, or leaks, then replace it then. Yes, you may go without hot water for a day, or so, and you may pay a premium for a plumber if it goes out over a weekend, but you will have the satisfaction that you squeezed every last cent out of the units cost. Mind you, that if the tank leaks, you may also get hit with repair costs you had not anticipated. If it's a slow leak that you don't notice for a while, the damage can be significant.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:44 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times
how much does a water heater cost then ? Probably going to replace it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House