Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times

Advertisements

Just getting ideas what people would consider a rare "luxury" in a home... I would say a well-designed and large open closet with shelving and drawers (almost like an entertainment center, but for clothes).... what do you consider a luxury home upgrade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 09:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
More than one bathroom.

A kitchen island.

motion sensor light switches.

an elevator

a walk in pantry

A scullery.

hardwood floors

radiated heat

tankless water heaters

automated house comuter system.

electric garage door opener.

more than one common room (ie. front AND back parlors, dining room, library).

An office.

A guest bedroom

A play room or theater.

a sunroom.

a room for a dog

A bowling alley

Indoor pool

Indoor raquetball, squash or tennis courts

sound dampening insulation between rooms.

built in vacuum systems.

stained glass

skylights

jaccuzzi tubs

Walk in showers.

more than one kitchen sink.

Fireplace.

walk in closets

pocket doors

Anything that is not necessary.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:11 AM

414 posts, read 1,862,014 times
Nowadays, IMHO, custom closets, granite countertops, large soaking/spa tubs, stainless steel appliances, etc. are all becoming standards. I have by no means a luxury home and my condo came equipped with all of these as a standard upgrade by the builder. After touring many homes before purchasing mine, some of the things I would consider "luxuries" would be:

-home gyms
-theater rooms with screens and stadium seating
-large outdoor entertaining areas
-3-4 car garages
-large master suites w/private baths
-his and her closets
-separate mother-in-law quarters

Just my opinion. I may be way off base.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:12 AM

41,939 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Two bathrooms!
Walk-in closets (although, technically you can walk into most closets ...)
A sunroom, Florida room, whathaveyou
Separate shower and tub

Old 12-12-2008, 09:24 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
A mud room with bath attached, with washer/dryer included in the mudroom and places to hang clothes to be put on when coming in from outdoors, places to stash outside shoes, etc.

I saw one of these in an old farmhouse on 70-odd acres that had once been a dairy farm. The house was mediocre; the mud room was to die for.

The same house had an 8 x 8 walk-in pantry with shelves and a freezer. Another luxury that is rarely seen.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash330 View Post
Nowadays, IMHO, custom closets, granite countertops, large soaking/spa tubs, stainless steel appliances, etc. are all becoming standards. I have by no means a luxury home and my condo came equipped with all of these as a standard upgrade by the builder. After touring many homes before purchasing mine, some of the things I would consider "luxuries" would be:

-home gyms
-theater rooms with screens and stadium seating
-large outdoor entertaining areas
-3-4 car garages
-large master suites w/private baths
-his and her closets
-separate mother-in-law quarters

Just my opinion. I may be way off base.
Ick. I hate stainless steel and grainte. They are too commercial sterile and cold. If I want to clean stainless appliances every day I can go work at McDonalds or work in a hipital. A home should be cozy, not industrial. .

Old 12-12-2008, 09:29 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
I don't want stainless steel appliances, and it's turning out that, yes, they're a pain to keep clean, but I do lust for stainless steel countertops in the sink area. With wood everywhere else. (Butcher block.)

Old 12-12-2008, 10:58 AM

41,939 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Stainless steel appliances that work just as well as the other kind are hardly a luxury.

The only luxury is the inflated price tag.

Quote:
I saw one of these in an old farmhouse on 70-odd acres that had once been a dairy farm. The house was mediocre; the mud room was to die for.
LOL! I wouldn't die for my mud room, although I may someday die in it from frustration!

Old 12-12-2008, 11:18 AM

759 posts, read 3,183,384 times
i guess you could call my home a luxury home...
I don't think the size and rooms, etc. make it a luxury home.
my list of item i have above and beyond standard (granite, SS, etc. etc. etc.)
Master bath shower with multiple shower heads and body sprayers.
Master Bath with 6 foot whirlpool tub with several adjustable jets.
Master Bath with TV cable/satellite area built in for a 37" LCD.
Separate walk in closets in MB...with all the shelves and cabinets (my wife's closet is ~ 6'x15')
ceilings lowest point is 10 feet. great room and entry area is 23.xx Feet
all doors - 8/9 feet (2 of 3 bedrooms upstairs are the exception)
upgraded HVAC system. I designed mine with the AC guy to basically be bullet proof with all the real bell and whistles (humidity sensors, UV, electronic filter with 5" media, not electrostatic )
Media Room - separate media room..i believe it is 28 x 24 with all custom wall sconces, lighting, etc. (i have moved my McIntosh AV equipment in there yet because i am still researching projectors)
Game room with area for large plasma/LCD
2-home offices 1 for wife 1 for the King...i mean me
4 car garage...don't ask...everyone has a 3 car...so I wanted a 4 car.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I don't want stainless steel appliances, and it's turning out that, yes, they're a pain to keep clean, but I do lust for stainless steel countertops in the sink area. With wood everywhere else. (Butcher block.)
We bought a commercial type stainless steel sink for washing dishes, but we hid it in the scullery behind a secret door (along with the dishwasher). That way there is no need to keep it clean! No one ever sees it. We have painted and butcherblock counters. It is nice, but you do have some simple maintenance to do. The best thing it that if they get stained, you just sand them down and refinish them it only takes a coule of hours and they are like new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House