U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-12-2008, 05:26 PM
 
175 posts, read 1,294,141 times
Reputation: 169

Advertisements

Hi everybody--I've attatched a couple photos of the circuit breaker on a house I'm interested in. Can anyone tell me if it's 100 or 200 amp service? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Can you tell me if it's 100 or 200 amp by the circuit breaker photo?-breaker-box.jpg   Can you tell me if it's 100 or 200 amp by the circuit breaker photo?-breaker-box2.jpg   Can you tell me if it's 100 or 200 amp by the circuit breaker photo?-elec.meter.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2008, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,589 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Reputation: 30145
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
Hi everybody--I've attatched a couple photos of the circuit breaker on a house I'm interested in. Can anyone tell me if it's 100 or 200 amp service? Thanks!
Kitty,
You have photo'd a 100 Amp/240 volt breaker, but I think it is not the main for that panel.
It appears to be a branch circuit switch, since it is in line with the branch ciruit switches.

Does this home have an electric furnace, or a sub-panel that would use the 100 amp breaker?
Is there another breaker at the top of the box, or in the small enclosure beneath the meter that could be the main?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2008, 05:56 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,084 posts, read 33,129,150 times
Reputation: 16733
100 amp service from White Westinghouse IIRC. Older than dirt as well. That 100 amp breaker IS the main. I have seen 2 of these style panels in 26 years doing Electrical work. The main comes in at the center of the bus and the house breakers are above and below it. Usually they are exterior panels and attached right to the meter enclosure. Other than taking the GE "family" of breakers which are found in any home store and most hardware stores, they are almost impossible to find parts for if something wears out or breaks on them. The ones I have seen, one was 16 circuit the other was 20 circuit. Stamped into the metal either right below or right above the 100 amp breaker (I forget which right now) will be "Service Disconnect".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2008, 06:07 PM
 
Location: West, Southwest, East & Northeast
3,446 posts, read 6,449,407 times
Reputation: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
Hi everybody--I've attatched a couple photos of the circuit breaker on a house I'm interested in. Can anyone tell me if it's 100 or 200 amp service? Thanks!
What device is protecting this panel? You did not show the very top of the panel, so I can't tell if there is a main breaker up there. If there is no main breaker in the panel it must have a device to protect it, e.g. separate enclosed circuit breaker, fused safety switch, etc. mounted beside of the panel...or possibly inside the watthour meter enclosure under the meter, which is something they did many years ago.

There must be a protection device for this panel because it has more than six branch breakers, i.e. NEC six sub division rule.

To "Bydand" - I think you're thinking about the old split bus load centers. This panel looks like at least a 150 amp if not a 200 amp amp panel (load center) to me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2008, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,113 posts, read 15,296,085 times
Reputation: 3661
That definitely is a 2 pole 100amp c/b....I can't read the catalog # because of the glare in the picture..

Since I used to work for westinghouse (Eaton C/H), I have old catalogs and can give you more info on the panel if you can provide the cat # (and most importantly, the correct replacement breaker for that panel)

I'm guessing, but most likely it'll be a cutler hammer BAB2100 that replaces that c/b....anyone wanna bet?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2008, 10:39 PM
 
Location: sowf jawja
1,940 posts, read 7,965,006 times
Reputation: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I'm guessing, but most likely it'll be a cutler hammer BAB2100 that replaces that c/b....anyone wanna bet?
well seeing as how the c-h BR series is the listed replacement for westinghouse, i'd say its more than most likely.



this is a 100A service; i've never seen one of these in person. only in pictures. i wonder how old that is? 1950's maybe?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2008, 11:25 PM
kbg
 
Location: Chester County, Tennessee
223 posts, read 234,631 times
Reputation: 77
Yes, it's time for a Siemens up-grade or even Square-D would put you some where in the 21st century.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2008, 11:40 PM
 
Location: West, Southwest, East & Northeast
3,446 posts, read 6,449,407 times
Reputation: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
That definitely is a 2 pole 100amp c/b....I can't read the catalog # because of the glare in the picture..

Since I used to work for westinghouse (Eaton C/H), I have old catalogs and can give you more info on the panel if you can provide the cat # (and most importantly, the correct replacement breaker for that panel)

I'm guessing, but most likely it'll be a cutler hammer BAB2100 that replaces that c/b....anyone wanna bet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
Hi everybody--I've attatched a couple photos of the circuit breaker on a house I'm interested in. Can anyone tell me if it's 100 or 200 amp service? Thanks!
Kitty3 isn't asking what size the circuit breaker is in the picture (image), but what amperage size the service is. The amperage rating of the panel will likely be the same amperage as the service amperage). It's easy to see that there is a 100 amp 2 pole circuit breaker on the bus along with numerous other circuit breakers...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2008, 05:57 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,589 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Reputation: 30145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
100 amp service from White Westinghouse IIRC. Older than dirt as well. That 100 amp breaker IS the main. I have seen 2 of these style panels in 26 years doing Electrical work. The main comes in at the center of the bus and the house breakers are above and below it. Usually they are exterior panels and attached right to the meter enclosure. Other than taking the GE "family" of breakers which are found in any home store and most hardware stores, they are almost impossible to find parts for if something wears out or breaks on them. The ones I have seen, one was 16 circuit the other was 20 circuit. Stamped into the metal either right below or right above the 100 amp breaker (I forget which right now) will be "Service Disconnect".
Bullseye!
I copied the photo, and zoomed in on it, and to the left of the 100 Amp switch is stamped "SERVICE DISCONNECT."
100 Amp service.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2008, 06:15 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,084 posts, read 33,129,150 times
Reputation: 16733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
To "Bydand" - I think you're thinking about the old split bus load centers. This panel looks like at least a 150 amp if not a 200 amp amp panel (load center) to me.
Nope, Not thinking a split bus at all. Seen plenty of those and this type is a totally different animal.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top