U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:56 AM

1,436 posts, read 2,733,514 times

Advertisements

One or the other or both Lowes and Depot will give you the machine to use free of charge if you purchase a certain amount of insulation. You will probably fall within their requirements for free usage of the machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 12:55 PM

3,020 posts, read 22,223,482 times
Lowes and HD typically give you the machine as a freebie if you buy a certain amount of insulation from them. Usually there is a waiting list (least in the bigger cities), you get on it, when your turn comes, there is a refundable deposit amount (something like $500) and you trot off with the machine for whatever terms have been agreed. They might say so many days. I've done it and kept the machine as long as I needed it, one big job, had it a couple weeks. Again the machine was always free.

My local Lowes all have the machines, nobody ever seems to have them out.

One good tip is check the size of the holes for their nozzles if you are going to do walls. I always did them from inside. Prebore all the holes before getting the machine, greatly speeds up the job. Other good thing to have is a switch at the nozzle guy. I made up a rig with a box that had an on / off switch. Used an extension cord to actually power the machine from the nozzle guy position. Dude at the machine also has the switch on the machine for safety but it is usually left in the on postion. The machine guy just feeds the bundles as needed. Need long rubber gloves, masks, keep the hands out of the machine.

The bundles of insulation have a chart on them which allows you to estimate the amount you need for a job.

Beware of a lot of them insulation guys and the type of contracts they try to write. They were so bad, I never would sign one of them. Always did the work ourselves. They want money up front, no start date, no completion date, if you get tried of waiting and do it yourself you still owe them the money. READ any contract carefully. What are they really promising to do.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:12 PM

21,462 posts, read 54,554,535 times
We hired an uinsulation company to do parts of our house in ICYNENE foam, part in fiberglass batts and part topping off and replacing blown in cellulose.

They did a very nice job with the Fiberglass. They had to come back six times to get the foam right. It was very uneven one inch on one place, four in another. Finally the guy got pissed and just covered most areas with 6" better for us.

The cellulose was only actually blown in at a few small areas. Otherwise they just sprayed a bunch of it around the house to make it look like they put it in the walls. It took a year to figure out that most of the old part of the house had no insulation at all. (no wonder out heating bills were so high).

Be wary of the insulation companies and choose a very established and reputable company.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,402 times
i need a price on the cost of r19 inslation 1800 square feet of inslution i need

Old 07-28-2010, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,402 times
i need a price on 1800 squre feet of r19 inslation

Old 12-19-2010, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,565 times
price quoted as 99 cents sq/ft. They are saying they will pull existing insulation down and blow in new to build up area. 740 sq ft and then they are charging another set at 740 sq ft that they are recycling over living room - quote is $1600 Sound too high? I don't have anyone that can do this for me so having to rely on help to get this down.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:57 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,107,815 times
why don't you get another quote?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House