U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 05:44 AM

167 posts, read 1,310,231 times

Advertisements

We are planning to buy a house built in 1998 with those white kitchen cabinets ( do not know all those technical terms to describe them). The agent told that these are good quality cabinets (thicker) but I prefer cherry colored wooden cabinets. The kitchen is medium sized and there are not many cabinets. The cost of changing appliances to steel ones, counter top and gas cook top is so high that my husband is trying to convince me to keep them. I just want to know how can I change the look of these outdated cabinets ? How much they will cost? (just an approximate figure)

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen cabinets refacing-1628185c.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 05:50 AM

2,005 posts, read 4,822,293 times
I would keep them white and put a black granite counter on them. New hardware and stainless appliances will spruce them up. When you put a color on the wall, you might just end up liking them.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:55 AM

1,553 posts, read 4,441,225 times
I agree with the previous post. Those look like nice cabinets and while it might not be what you would pick if you built the house I'm not sure its worth the investment to change them out. I would focus on spending your money on new hardware, new counters, some bolder paint and maybe a nicer backsplash - tile or something. And frankly I also agree with your husband. consider yourself lucky - we lived with harvest gold appliances when we bought our house until they eventually started to die out.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:45 PM

10,425 posts, read 40,665,369 times
First off...white cabinets are way out of style. WAY out of style. You would have to do a lot of leg work to find a kitchen showroom that still has a white kitchen display. I took white cabinets out of my showroom about 6 years ago. Up untill that point I think I sold 2 white kitchens since 1999 when I opened. White is available but not popular.

I disagree with your thinking your cabinets are outdated. Strange coming from me huh?...from those who know me. I know your brand and sometimes pictures are hard to tell but they look in pretty good shape.

That cabinet above the range top was done incorrectly and whoever did it should be embarrassed and ashamed. I love the in-out and different height look but if your going to use crown molding that cabinet must be 3" deeper. Look what they had to do with the crown to make that mistake work. If they were full overlay doors that crown would not work at all.

Now for refacing. Never ever ever is refacing cheaper then brand new. Refacing cabinets is like putting a brand new clean pressed suit on a man with dirty pockets and dirty shoes. Refacing is a gimmic and a scam in most cases.

You have SS (solid surface) tops. Better known by brands such as Corian. If you can find a very skilled cabinet craftsman here is what you have to do and save that nice top. If you want to save the top. The top has an overhanging lip which is lower then the cabinet height. He has to break apart and remove the old cabinets one or 2 at a time while always supporting the top. He cuts 1" off the entire bottom of the cabinet making it one inch shorter. Push it under the countertop and shim it back up. Liquid nail to under the CT and screw the cabinet to the wall in the normal fashion.

Do one or 2 boxes at a time while supporting and not disturbing the CT. When you are finished you will be putting on a toe skin and side skins on the exposed ends which hide the rough cut you did to shorten the boxes.

Hows that for a trick huh? I believe I am the only nut in the country performing this wild trick and those refacing companies hate my guts. Oh and I use a quality product from the worlds largest and oldest cabinet company. The refacers use plastic, thermofoil and melamine.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:37 PM

3,020 posts, read 21,696,492 times
Default Well if you really don't like white.......

What does the inside look like? How much is painted????

If the cabinets are real high quality wood, why not just strip them in place and refinish them. Costs are nominal if you do it yourself. Can also remove the doors, makes it a lot easier, decide on what to do with the fronts, not much there could do them in place. Not that big a project.

Or you can change them out and pay the big bucks.

Could have the other options of taking them out and having them professionally stripped. Depending on what is painted could just do the doors and fronts.

Or could just leave everything alone, don't look all that bad to me and I don't particularly like white on a normal basis. Hey, it is just a kitchen where you whip a lil chow. Looks like it will do the job. Don't be such a fashion wonk. How does a kitchen get "Outdated". Mine is going to last for as long as I have the shack.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
What does the inside look like? How much is painted????

If the cabinets are real high quality wood, why not just strip them in place and refinish them. Costs are nominal if you do it yourself. Can also remove the doors, makes it a lot easier, decide on what to do with the fronts, not much there could do them in place. Not that big a project.

Or you can change them out and pay the big bucks.

Could have the other options of taking them out and having them professionally stripped. Depending on what is painted could just do the doors and fronts.

Or could just leave everything alone, don't look all that bad to me and I don't particularly like white on a normal basis. Hey, it is just a kitchen where you whip a lil chow. Looks like it will do the job. Don't be such a fashion wonk. How does a kitchen get "Outdated". Mine is going to last for as long as I have the shack.
Cosmic I recognize her brand. Those doors are thermofoil over MDF. The faceframes are poplar and the finish on the faceframes are baked enamal. The interiors are white melamine.

Kitchens can get outdated like any other product. Try wearing victorian period cloths outside and see if you dont get looked at. That example is a stretch I know but just making a point. I dont think her kitchen is outdated. I betcha it is about 6 years old. The problem is more she hates the white rather then the style. Your right, it really dont look bad at all. I dont say that too often do I......

Old 12-19-2008, 05:33 AM

167 posts, read 1,310,231 times
Thank you so much for your replies.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:44 AM

2,349 posts, read 9,021,937 times
Try IKEA for doors or at least door ideas. The website has great pics and displays. You might be suprised

Old 12-19-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Try IKEA for doors or at least door ideas. The website has great pics and displays. You might be suprised
Sorry but IKEA will not work on American made cabnets. IKEA is all metric measurments and that junky cheap brand does not abide by any KCMA specifications. They make their own set of rules that does not conform to any other cabinet manufacturer products anywhere.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:45 PM

1,727 posts, read 3,088,719 times
Desertsun41 Are those white cabinets Kraftmaid? Just curious. I have a question about cabinetry. We live in a home 15 years old. Cabinets are in the laundry room , kitchen & family room. All same color and similar style. When redoing a kitchen (changing cabinets) it will not have the same flow throughout or does that matter? I doubt the laundry room matters but what about the Family room being next to the kitchen? I know we have a huge project on our hands when we finally change it out as our kitchen is very large, lots of cabinets and some with leaded glass over a desk area as well. Any advice? I can try to post a pic but need to take ppics of the fam rm so I can give you the feel for the areas. You seem very knowlegeable so hope you don't mind me picking your brain :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House