Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 03:17 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,257 times

Advertisements

What do you use to best clean stainless steal appliances? I know they make specific cleaner but can you use anything else? Like windex or something? I really do not want to buy an additional cleaner if I don't have too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 04:29 PM

522 posts, read 1,584,582 times
I use Sprayway stainless steel cleaner. I can't tell you how great this product is. Unfortunately you have to buy another cleaner but it's not that expensive and they sell it at Costco and Sam's clubs. Trust me this is the best out there that I have used.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:56 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,452 times
Old English Lemon Oil! I read it on here in another thread on this subject, and for the longest time I didn't believe it. Then I was in the cleaning section, stumbled across it, and figured for $3 I'd give it a shot. It is awesome! Works very well and leaves everything nice and shiny.

Yes, its another cleaner, but its a good multipurpose cleaner. In fact, stainless steel isn't even listed on the bottle as a use!

Old 12-20-2008, 08:08 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,304,950 times
I use white vinegar to remove finger prints/smudges from stainless steel appliances, but it also does a nice job cleaning too. I also use vinegar to clean stainless steel grills. Many restaurants use vinegar to clean their stainless steel equipment...

Old 12-21-2008, 08:26 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseynj View Post
I use Sprayway stainless steel cleaner. I can't tell you how great this product is. Unfortunately you have to buy another cleaner but it's not that expensive and they sell it at Costco and Sam's clubs. Trust me this is the best out there that I have used.
I second this! I have purchased other products that was more work correcting the smudges and oily messes. Sprayway is easy, also their window cleaner is great also.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:58 PM

34,919 posts, read 56,918,061 times
I just use a real soapy sponge or dish cloth to clean and then wipe away with paper towel. Works great and I do not have to spend any extra $ for special cleaners. Jay

Old 12-21-2008, 02:45 PM

If your appliances become dull, as they will through normal use, you can bring back their showroom shine by using vinegar. White or cider vinegar dabbed onto a damp cloth will bring back the shine of stainless steel while protecting the coating of the steel. Vinegar is also an excellent cleaner and will help remove smudges and other marks that may show up on your appliances through normal wear and tear.

Learn how to Clean Stainless Steel at Stainless Online

Always use a soft cotton or micro-fiber cloth and wipe lightly in the direction of the grain, e.g. for refrigerators wipe up-and-down, not left-to-right.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:43 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,182,160 times
I'm considering an axe........
SS is highly overrated IMHO

Old 12-22-2008, 09:37 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
What do you use to best clean stainless steal appliances? I know they make specific cleaner but can you use anything else? Like windex or something? I really do not want to buy an additional cleaner if I don't have too. Thanks!
I think that most stainless steel cleaners are basically mineral oil with an emulsifier and some sort of lemon extract. It isn't exactly cost prohibitive. Why not just buy the specific cleaner? Unless you clean your stainless appliances every day a bottle should last over a year, probably closer to 2.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:51 AM

I don't think most people really want to "clean" their stainless steel appliances, they just want to remove a few finger smudges and dust...and give it a sparkling finish.

For example, I learned many years ago that using Windex (or some similar product) to wash ["clean" if you will] windows and mirrors (house or auto) was not needed...nor even recommended. Have you ever noticed the haze and streaks on glass and mirrors after a few days or a few weeks? Sure you have! That layer of haze is nothing more than the residue of the window cleaner left behind. The absolute best thing to use to wash (clean) glass and mirrors is plain ol' water and wipe it until it's dry. Then you'll never have a haze. Try it!

Back to the stainless steel - you don't need to use a "cleaner" because it's not really dirty. A damp (soft) cloth with a little bit of vinegar (white for no odor) cuts the finger smudges and makes the finish look like new. Now if you have hauled your appliances on a rainy day behind your car on the interstate or sprayed it with motor oil, then you might need to actually clean the finish. Otherwise, you don't need to clean it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House