U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 09:42 PM

129 posts, read 300,362 times

Advertisements

We are just about to buy a house and are looking keenly at what Consumer Reports has to say about vinyl flooring for the kitchen. (The current vinyl is the original, screams early '90s and has all kinds of scuff marks.) Here are the top 3 we are looking at:

Mannington Adura Essex Oak Plank AW511 Natural

Allure Trafficmaster Cherry 12012

Nafco Better Living Collection Permastone Natural Slate NS660 Sandstone

If anyone has any experience with any of these, I sure would appreciate your recommendation! TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 10:03 PM

2,034 posts, read 3,853,602 times
Don't do vinyl. That is a killer for resale. Do ceramic tile or hardwood.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Both are much more appealing to the eye, I'll agree! But...

Ceramic tile is hard on dropped dishes and cups, tiles can crack, grout can stain, and is difficult to install.

Wood can discolor, wear quickly, and dent, and also difficult to install...

All this is what I'm reading in Consumer Reports...

Old 12-20-2008, 10:09 PM

66 posts, read 237,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Amen. Tile is pretty easy to do yourself too and so much nicer.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflu View Post
Both are much more appealing to the eye, I'll agree! But...

Ceramic tile is hard on dropped dishes and cups, tiles can crack, grout can stain, and is difficult to install.

Wood can discolor, wear quickly, and dent, and also difficult to install...

All this is what I'm reading in Consumer Reports...

Sounds like you would rather have something in that's ugly from day one than something that might eventually get ugly and need some care.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbridgman View Post
Sounds like you would rather have something in that's ugly from day one than something that might eventually get ugly and need some care.
Just looking for something durable, and there are a lot of good-looking vinyl floorings now, from what I'm looking at online... have you seen all the choices? Ones that look like wood, all colors, some that look like ceramic tile...

Old 12-20-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Just looking for something durable, and there are a lot of good-looking vinyl floorings now, from what I'm looking at online... have you seen all the choices? Ones that look like wood, all colors, some that look like ceramic tile...
I don't think there is anything more durable than tile, and broken tiles are very rare and easily replaceable, just save a few from the install. There is a class at Home Depot every month or so on installation, it lasts like an hour or two, really easy in my opinion. There is also a class every Saturday I think at the Tile Store on Glenwood Ave. Grout stains are not a problem if you use dark grout and even if you prefer light grout and seal it properly you'll be fine. My .02. I don't know much about vinyl but what I've seen at the major stores still looks like vinyl to me.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I don't think there is anything more durable than tile, and broken tiles are very rare and easily replaceable, just save a few from the install. There is a class at Home Depot every month or so on installation, it lasts like an hour or two, really easy in my opinion. There is also a class every Saturday I think at the Tile Store on Glenwood Ave. Grout stains are not a problem if you use dark grout and even if you prefer light grout and seal it properly you'll be fine. My .02. I don't know much about vinyl but what I've seen at the major stores still looks like vinyl to me.
Really GREAT information, David! Thank you so much!! I have actually helped a friend install ceramic tile in her bedroom and it was fun. It looked so nice!

Old 12-20-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Really GREAT information, David! Thank you so much!! I have actually helped a friend install ceramic tile in her bedroom and it was fun. It looked so nice!

No prob just let me know if you have any questions, I have done a ton of tiling in my current house and my previous one.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
No prob just let me know if you have any questions, I have done a ton of tiling in my current house and my previous one.
Just one question... don't your tootsies get cold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House