Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:35 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Sounds to me like a a simular age old argument about whether the toilet paper goes on paper off in or out.

Geez some people will go to bed tonight with no sheets. Be gratefull you have sheets and some one to put them on for you
I always make sure the toilet paper rolls off the top (front), never the bottom (back).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 09:41 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,853 times
Well, I'll let you in on a big secret! It's treason, but WTH. The wide hem has to go at the top, because that is where we've placed the brain sensors. If you've a "bad brain," then we know not to come abduct you for our experiments. If you've a "good brain," then we know exactly where you are. Now, if you switch it on us and we run out of "good brains," then we will just abduct you anyway. Mind you, there aren't many "good brains" out there, so we abduct a lot of people who don't follow the proper protocol.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:52 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
Well, I'll let you in on a big secret! It's treason, but WTH. The wide hem has to go at the top, because that is where we've placed the brain sensors. If you've a "bad brain," then we know not to come abduct you for our experiments. If you've a "good brain," then we know exactly where you are. Now, if you switch it on us and we run out of "good brains," then we will just abduct you anyway. Mind you, there aren't many "good brains" out there, so we abduct a lot of people who don't follow the proper protocol.
That's just what I thought...

Old 12-22-2008, 10:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
For the same reason that you ALWAYS start peeling a boiled egg from the small end first.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:58 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
Quote:
I knew there was a valid reason. Thank you for providing it.

Na-Nu, Na-Nu

Old 12-23-2008, 08:40 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,732,227 times
Default It all has to do with the brains.......

Quote:
Of course the big hem has to do with the brain, it has to be located close to it.

It is not that simple about "Bad" and "Good" brains. Now you can get a brain transplant.

There was this guy who was not feeling all that well. So he goes to the doctor, doc sezs; "You got a bad brain".

Guy sezs; "What I do about it".

Doc sezs; "We can do a brain transplant".

Guy sezs; "How much does it cost?"

Doc sezs; "We can give you a truck driver's brain for $200, accountant's brain for $400, engineer's brain for $1000, rocket scientist brain for $2000, TV executive in charge of programming content on TV for $10,000,000".

Guy sezs; "I always wanted to be in the TV business, why so much for that type of brain?"

Doc sezs; "Do you know how many TV executive type guys we have to kill to get one ounce of brains?"

For the record, I have no direct knowledge how any of them put their sheets. I also do not know the amount of brains required to get it exactly right. I do know if I get a brain transplant it will not be from any woman, no matter how cheap it might be or how smart they claim to be. I also know a number of them claim, I have no brains way too many times, even if I do manage to get the sheets right. Mostly they claim I hog the sheets, the big hem gives you a better grip.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:54 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
It is consider a "fine dress maker's detail" to have a larger hem at the top of the sheets. It is a matter of design. Many sheets have embroidery, lace or a contrasting fabric at the top. They are made this way to have a more finished appearance on the top, as that is the area you see.

If you notice how fine hotels make up beds, a blanket goes on top of the sheet, and then the top of the sheet is folded over (deeply). This keeps your face away from the blanket (folding the sheet over the blanket). It looks more elegant to have a wide band (or an embellished band) folded over the blanket.

There are rules for anything one fashions out of fabric, lol. One rule is that women's zippers always go to the left side, not the right side. Another is that any large piece of fabric intended to be used as a sheet has a large hem at the top. That identifies it easily from a tablecloth, wh/ is hemmed equally all the way around.

Historically, the smaller that upper "hem" or band of embellished fabric at the top of the sheet, the cheaper the sheet. It takes more fabric to make deep hems - thus, anything w/ deeper hems signaled "more expensive" (i.e. curtains and sheets).

Old 12-23-2008, 12:24 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,053 times
The wide boarder is at the top so you can wipe drool, or what ever , from your face during the night

Old 12-23-2008, 02:24 PM

24,467 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
The wide boarder is at the top so you can wipe drool, or what ever , from your face during the night

Giggle, good one. I just do it that way cuz the Super Chief said too.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:35 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
The wider hem lays heavier/stays in place and rumples less. Plus that tag. But I cut that sucker off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House