U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-25-2008, 08:52 PM

5,149 posts, read 6,346,217 times
Default Gas Fireplace...too much cold air.

We have a gas fireplace. Glass front. It is vented to the outside. It is 7 years old...the same as the house. We hate how much cold air it lets come in underneath. The floor of the main level is always cold in the winter because of this...we may as well have a window open. On really cold days, the floor is freezing around it. Sometimes we kick it on just to heat it up to keep the cold air out for a little bit. Anyone else experience this? Should we replace it with something else? Thoughts? I asked one guy who was servicing it and he said there was nothing we could do to stop the air from coming in. The worst thing is that the thermomstat for the whole is is on the opposite wall from the fireplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 06:04 PM

8,424 posts, read 23,372,201 times
Is the flue closed?
When was the last time you had it cleaned professionally?

But anyway...a product:
Fireplace Draft Stopper Chimney Plug Balloon Pillow

I never ordered from that site but I am sure you can pick up something similar at a hardware store.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:55 PM

5,149 posts, read 6,346,217 times
I don't think it has a flue.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:41 PM

6 posts, read 17,154 times
Our house was just finished being built in October (2008) and were having the same problem. Not only is the downstairs freezing from it, but the upstairs is burning up because the heat is kicking on so much trying to heat the lower level! I don't know what to do either, but I'm calling our builder, we've had enough!

Old 01-09-2009, 05:19 PM

556 posts, read 1,539,421 times
You've got me concerned! We're just about to install our gas stove on the main floor!

Old 01-09-2009, 06:23 PM

2,217 posts, read 361,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We have a gas fireplace. Glass front. It is vented to the outside. It is 7 years old...the same as the house. We hate how much cold air it lets come in underneath. The floor of the main level is always cold in the winter because of this...we may as well have a window open. On really cold days, the floor is freezing around it. Sometimes we kick it on just to heat it up to keep the cold air out for a little bit. Anyone else experience this? Should we replace it with something else? Thoughts? I asked one guy who was servicing it and he said there was nothing we could do to stop the air from coming in. The worst thing is that the thermomstat for the whole is is on the opposite wall from the fireplace.
Somebody screwed up.

Several years ago my wife & I built a sun/family room onto our acreage house. I put a vented gas fireplace on one wall, with a direct exhaust out the wall. It kicked out heat like nobody's business - and it did NOT let in cold air when it was turned off. None.

Somebody screwed up big-time.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:17 PM

12 posts, read 40,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Check out www.draftcatch.com

Old 01-31-2010, 03:18 PM

12 posts, read 40,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Somebody screwed up.

Several years ago my wife & I built a sun/family room onto our acreage house. I put a vented gas fireplace on one wall, with a direct exhaust out the wall. It kicked out heat like nobody's business - and it did NOT let in cold air when it was turned off. None.

Somebody screwed up big-time.

Look at www.draftcatch.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House