Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:46 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,401,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Thanks and these are all excellent ideas. I have a friend who has told me to hire someone to come in here and just clean, but I already hire someone to do the pool and the yard and cannot afford to add the house when I am capable, just can't seem to get motivated, to clean it. Plus, I'd have to clean it just for someone to come in and clean.

I am for the getting rid of stuff and my dogs and I are enrolled in training right now, so hopefully I will get a handle on their behaviors. Right now they are not fun to walk as they don't know how to do so on a leash. I think that comes in a couple more classes
Well at least you are keeping a lot of people working.

Have someone come in and clean from top to bottom thoroughly 1 time. Then devote 30-60 minutes to keep it that way every week depending on how big your house is you may need to add more or take away less.

Or you could always get the pool boy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 09:02 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,369,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

Or you could always get the pool boy....
There's an idea

Old 12-28-2008, 01:59 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,332,386 times
1. Get rid of all the extra stuff. The less clutter you have the better you will feel and the easier it will be to keep clean.
2. Make sure everything in your house has a spot. Start small and try to re organize your stuff.
3. If you hate cleaning just clean 1 room per day. Straighten out and put things away everyday.
4. When you are waiting for something like the coffee to brew or water to boil pick something up and put it away. In the morning while the coffee brews I can put the dishes away from the dish drain and make the bed.
5. If you are finished with something, put it away.

Limit the puppies access in your house until they are completely trained. It will make your life easier.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:48 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,980,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Well at least you are keeping a lot of people working.

Have someone come in and clean from top to bottom thoroughly 1 time. Then devote 30-60 minutes to keep it that way every week depending on how big your house is you may need to add more or take away less.
Yep, this is the best way. I know, from experience, LOL. And I must not be alone in this; otherwise, they wouldn't have TV series based on bringing in the big guns to get folks' houses in order so they can take it from there!

My home has NEVER been even remotely as bad as the homes on TV. I do love watching BBC's "How Clean is Your House?", though. The cleaners offer some really great tips! Unless you have a lot of time or a regular maid service, I think a lot of people do best with having professional cleaners come in once or twice a year to do a systematic clean and tackle the quirky jobs. It makes it much easier, then, to keep a house tidy.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:05 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,358,294 times
teatime, I'd love to watch that show "How Clean is Your House?" I'd never even heard of it until I read your post. I googled the show and found that it's on the Lifetime Channel. Since you're in Texas, could you tell me when (day and time) it comes on in your area? I have Comcast and cant find it in the TV Log. Thanks!

Old 12-28-2008, 05:40 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,904,124 times
Acutally I would like a system to keep a brand new house clean.

How often to surface clean and deep clean.

Do you quick clean wet areas (kitchen, bath) daily?
and quick vacuum main living spaces daily?
make up bed daily (of course)
and use a swiffer to swiff surfaces in main living room.

But how and how often do you dust the base boards and corners for cobwebs? How often do you clean the stove and fridge?

I hate to clean and is frankly a terrible housekeeper. When my mom warned me to learn to "keep house" as a young teen I retorted that I was going to become a lawyer and would hire a housekeeper.

So here I am about to buy a new house and want to keep my house as nice as the day I get it.

I am pretty good with my car now 3 years old.

I am thinking that a totally clean or brand new place would be easier to maintain clean than to try to get an old home that needs lots of updates to look clean that has DECADES of grime and dust in corners, bottom of baseboards and heating ducts .

Old 12-28-2008, 05:49 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,401,256 times
You could have construction debris though with a new home for a little while. You just have to see how long it takes before it get's dirty. Every home is different and the amount of people, pets, carpet, furniture, air filtering system, infiltration of outdoor air...etc all determine how fast dust builds up or doesn't.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:33 PM

18,948 posts, read 43,421,357 times
My biggest headache is pet hair, it seems like I have to clean it constantly. I can vacuum the whole house and the very next day I can see dog hair tumbleweeds rolling down the hallway. I couldn't even sit on the floor and wrap Christmas gifts without having dog hair stick to the tape . I hate to say it, but when my two dogs get old and pass away I won't be in any hurry to get another one.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:51 PM

15,128 posts, read 27,669,144 times
I also am overwhelmed - plan is just do ONE room a day. Do ONE bathroom - then you try to keep it up because it looks nice. Then, do another bathroom or a bedroom, whatever: then have motivation to keep it up because it looks nice. It's overwhelming to tackle a whole house - try the one room at a time approach (I actually only have it working in 1 bath and 1 bedroom currently - but baby steps).

Old 12-29-2008, 11:35 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,979,764 times
I am challenged to keep a clean house also. I go back and forth on whether to clean daily or once on the weekend. Then I over analyze
about whether to do one task daily or one room daily.
My husband just agreed to do the vacumming weekly so I am coming up with yet another cleaning schedule that factors in that I don't have to
vacuum . I am going to mop on Sat and try to do the other Mon- Fri.

Does anyone have daily schedules that work well???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House