Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 09:15 AM

130 posts, read 503,287 times

Advertisements

I am interested in building a workbench in my garage (garage is sheetrocked but not painted). Dimensions would be 9 feet by 2 feet. I would like it to be freestanding so I am thinking of taking a few corner brackets (1200 lb capacity/pair) and drilling these directly through the sheetrock into the studs (studs are spaced about 14 inches apart). I would then run a couple of 2x4s the length of the wall, connecting them to the brackets. Then a couple of layers of plywood on top of those. Finally, I am thinking of running 2x4s (vertically) along the outer edge of the plywood to create a smoother finish and to clean it up.

I would estimate that I would use about 4 corner brackets to support the structure for a weight cap of about 2400.

What ideas/tips would you recommend for this project? Would you recommend lag bolts or screws for connecting to the studs? The other thing I thought about doing (if more weight should be supported by studs) is to drill one 2x4 to the brackets and directly into the studs. Don’t know if this is overkill though…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 09:54 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
I always use mounting points to the wall to stabilize the bench. A 9ft bench seems like a very long work surface to me... I have always done with less, using limited space for other things.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
We just built one and after considering attaching to the wall like you are going to do decided to go with table you can walk all the way around. Best decision I made in a long time. Ours is 4*8 top, the only trouble you might have with smaller one is it might be tippy.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:08 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
K.I.S.S.
KWB Hardware Kit

Freestanding will always benefit you better- cleaning; move it out of the way. Moving; take it with you. Modify it; simply add to it.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:16 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Riley

I have done it two ways:

1. Anchor a 2x4 to the wall at bench height. The back of the bench will anchor to the top of this. Anchor a 1x2 to the bottom front edge of the bench. Anchor a 1x2 to the base of the wall. Mount wall edge of bench to top of 2x4. Brace it level with temporary vertical pieces of wood. Cut 2x4's to angle from the back edge of the bench 1x2 front lip to the 1x2 on the base of the wall. Screw or adhesive the leg ends to the bench top and the 1x2 wall piece. This means the support legs will be at an angle from the front of the bench to the bottom of the back wall. On a 9 foot bench you would need 4 legs. One on each end, two spaced 36in in from the end. You will have to futz with getting the leg end angles correct but only one time then use it as a template for the others. Plenty of storage space under the bench and easy to clean around.

2. Buy a couple of work bench cabinets and put the work bench on top. I used double sided mounting tape between the bench bottom and the cabinet tops. In the opening between the cabinets I have a trash barrel and a few other items. This is my present setup. I used Lowes Item# 339956 base cabinets.

I always put a face piece on the edges of my benches. I also used plywood and polyurethaned the top (several coats) and then I put runner type carpet on top of the bench. I replaced the runner carpet as needed. I suggest you might go 8ft so little to no cutting.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 03-12-2012 at 10:24 AM..

Old 03-12-2012, 01:34 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Finding 9' material for the top may be difficult without a seam.
Woodsmith magazine had a great article on building a workbench. I have made several for my workshop, You can modify the plans to accommodate any size you want. I built mine with the drawers. It's made with common 2x4's and the way its made, the corners and everything else end up doubled, so it is very strong.

I used salvage solid core doors for the top for mine. I found an 8' door for one of them.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:03 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
For what its worth, its issue 66 of Woodsmith.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on Constructing Garage Workbench-p1170498.jpg   Advice on Constructing Garage Workbench-p1170499.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House