U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:41 PM

177 posts, read 649,524 times

Advertisements

shingles should be in the 50 to 60.00 range and labor about the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 06:16 PM

192 posts, read 619,523 times
It can depend a great deal on the roofer. Four years ago I had to re-roof my current house, and I got estimates that were "all over the map" for removing the old roof and putting an OwensCorning Oakridge ProShadow 50 roof on a house with a roof area of about 2400 square ft.

The lowest bid was $5000. This came from a company who did a "drive-by" estimate (never even walked the roofs) and dropped the estimate into my mailbox ("You don't even need to be home for the estimate!"). The estimate form specified that all their jobs are done in a single day (tear-off and re-roof) and that the full amount must be paid in cash. I subsequently saw their trucks doing other roofs, and found out from other homeowners that the company hires day laborers for most of their crew.

The highest bid was $26,000. This was from a company acknowledged to be the best within at least 75 miles. They do roofing for high-end custom builders as well as homeowners. They use all copper flashing throughout as well as full ice/water shield under the shingles. They fabricate their own trims and special flashing instead of using premade stock items that might not fit perfectly. They guarantee their work for the life of the home, period. Looking through their job portfolio I was amazed at the quality of the work this company did.

The other bids came in at (if I recall correctly) $10,000 from a one-man-and-a-helper contractor ("Reilly the Roofer") who tried to talk me into using the roofing brand that he "was used to installing" instead of what I wanted; $14,000 from a company who wouldn't supply me with a copy of their liability insurance policy or their agent's name, even though their estimate form said "Fully insured"; and $16,500 from a third company who has been in the business for 3 generation locally and seemed very knowledgable; their crews are all documented, insured, full-timers.

Although I really wanted to have the $26K company do the work, my budget wouldn't allow for it. I went with the $16,500 bid.

Keep in mind that this was done in the pre-Katrina era. Building materials' cost (or at least what contractors are charging customers!!) have increased considerably since then, because of the high demand for supplies relating to Gulf Coast rebuilds and repairs. I'm sure that my $16.5K roof would cost at least $20K to do today.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:13 PM

2,830 posts, read 8,873,451 times
In my ignorance I thought the only areas affected by the high costs of roofs are those of us in Florida. I didn't realize it affected other states as well.

Back in 1995 we had our roof replaced for $14,000 (tile) today it will cost us between $40 - 55,000. Metal roofs run around the same and more. So much for Farmers Jones tin roof. May the force be with you.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:48 PM

3,020 posts, read 16,526,629 times
They used the Katrina event to jack up prices of everything. The wisdom on the street the demand would stay up for 2 - 3 years. Some manufacturering got ramped up to meet demand but prices when wild.

I got stung a bit on buying replacement windows. Had my order in and the price was sealed in, delivery times also when crazy, had been getting a shipment in 20 days, last ones took 60 days.

Once they get them prices, probably never going back down, just like a one way street, only goes one way.

Everywhere is affected. In a way, they are killing the Golden Goose, lot of projects probably get cancelled due to high costs. Especially some rehab projects, houses just don't get bought, makes zero sense in many areas.

Demand in China is driving some product's price things like copper, metals, cement, etc.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:47 PM

5,701 posts, read 17,286,449 times
Had the roof replaced (2005) 1,800 SQ FT plus for $8k with architectural shingles. The cost is determine locally and is best to use a local company....Also ask for references and see if you can inspect the work....

Old 04-11-2007, 06:54 AM

609 posts, read 2,646,218 times
Here is w quick tip, when inspecting a roof job before hiring a contractor.

Look at the ridgelines, this is where the gables meet. Check to see if the line of tiles comming down is perfectly straight.

After our hurricanes of the past three years roofers came out of the woodwork. There were alot of "shlocks" doing roofing and lots of leaky roofs.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 82,229 times
Smile just got an estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
First you have to have a good idea of the total square feet of the total roof.

Then is the roof going to be stripped or gone over the top? A bundle of new shingles figure $20, bit high but for estmating. Three bundles are a square. Square is 100 square feet. Divide your total square footage of roof by 100, multiple by $60. Gives you approximate materials cost.

Labor can be all over the lot. Figure $200 per square for low ball estimate.

That allows you to come up with your own lowball estimate. Get local estimates to see what it really will take.
hi Cosmic:

Thanks for your time and excellent information. I'd like to run this by you for your feedback.

I live in Florida and just got a roofing company to come out and give me a quote. The company's been in business 40 years, it's all family owned and they've had 0 complaints listed against them in BBB. I like their attitude and fact they've been established so long.

Here's the deal they're giving me. The roof area measures 26 square (though the actual ground area is a little under 2000). I guess you have to take into account slope, eaves, etc.?

In any case, he's quoting me $5,850.00 for complete re-roofing, debris haul-away, new vents. They're not going to re-roof the flat top porch connected to the house, but he is willing to put new flashing and caulk in because there's a very small leak there when it rains, for no extra charge.

How does this sound to you? By your calculations, it seems fair but I wanted your expert opinion.
Regards,
Ron

Old 04-19-2007, 12:51 PM

3,020 posts, read 16,526,629 times
Default Wee tad high

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderon View Post
hi Cosmic:

Thanks for your time and excellent information. I'd like to run this by you for your feedback.

I live in Florida and just got a roofing company to come out and give me a quote. The company's been in business 40 years, it's all family owned and they've had 0 complaints listed against them in BBB. I like their attitude and fact they've been established so long.

Here's the deal they're giving me. The roof area measures 26 square (though the actual ground area is a little under 2000). I guess you have to take into account slope, eaves, etc.?

In any case, he's quoting me $5,850.00 for complete re-roofing, debris haul-away, new vents. They're not going to re-roof the flat top porch connected to the house, but he is willing to put new flashing and caulk in because there's a very small leak there when it rains, for no extra charge.

How does this sound to you? By your calculations, it seems fair but I wanted your expert opinion.
Regards,
Ron
Typical way of doing it is materials are 1/3 of the price. So take the top end of your architechural type shingles. Something in the $1500 - 1700 range for materials. Make the job worth $5100. If you figure disposal separate say $300 - 400. You got like $5400 is a fair price. I also used to add 2 - 3 % on every job to buy / repair / replace tools etc. So he has like a 7.7% over mark. But all in all a fair price. A wee tad high the way I would figure, but nothing too argue about if he is a good contractor. Well within the zone for the best price you will probably get. That extra could be for insurance, those costs had just gone out of sight. Being Florida, might even be worse. The insurance companies sure know how to make money.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 74,955 times
I have a 12 yr. old home of 2400 sq.ft. A neighbor and trusted friend says that these homes in the neighborhood have roofs that usually begin to go bad after about 12 years. I notice a brown (what looks like) leak stain in my dining area. This friend went up to the roof to locate a possible nail that may have caused this,but did not find it. I will go up the attic and try to find this problem. He did notice that the underlying paper was not a 30lb.,but there were some "pitchy" points.He did say that the roof was laid down good though. How much should I expect to pay for a new roof. I live in middle Tennessee. Thanks for being there. Gustavo

Old 11-09-2008, 07:28 PM

3,517 posts, read 8,675,167 times
I'm in MD. I just had my roof done in July by an excellent roofer. I have about 860 sq ft under a hip roof plus a 2 car garage. He charged $5000 for a complete tear off, new flashing, felt, edge drip, and ridge vents. Another $200 for architectural shingles, and $100 for upgraded ridge vents. I also had him put in an attic fan, dryer vent, and replace my 2 crummy skylights with low-e glass Velux lights for a total of $6000. I watched the work and he did a great job and cleaned up very well. It looks great and my leaks are fixed.

I went around and asked for recommendations. He also had high praise on the internet rating sites. From my research, I think I got a fair price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House