U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 12:04 AM

5,365 posts, read 8,540,320 times
Default How Much Is A New Roof Going To Cost?

It's time. I live in a 100 year old 2 story home and the shingles have just about outlived their usefulness. I'm guessing that the area of the hip roof is about 800 sq. feet and am fairly certain that the underlying boards are in good enough shape to stay put. I haven't done this kind of work before except on a small porch roof and will have to hire someone to do it. I'm not too worried about finding a reliable roofer as I know a few, but what can I expect this to cost? Should I consider steel or are asphalt shingles good enough? BTW, we get plenty of snow around here. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 02:21 AM

2,909 posts, read 10,105,942 times
Id say about $5000 to replace the tiles/shingles. To replace the whole roof could be tens of thousands

Old 03-06-2007, 02:54 AM

1,318 posts, read 4,038,173 times
You should post this in the VT forum - prices are a local thing!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:07 AM

9,342 posts, read 16,164,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Id say about $5000 to replace the tiles/shingles. To replace the whole roof could be tens of thousands
OMG, now you're a roofing expert!

Elfyum is right- it's a very regional thing. I've had roofs replaced in three areas of FL in the past 6 years and all prices were quite different. None needed additional wood replacement- which can be a wild card, as, until the old shingles are removed, it's impossible to estimate.

I love the metal roofing and it is considerably more durable than everyday shingles. However, something that I never considered is the impact they have in a house fire. The home next door to my aunt caught fire a few months ago and it had a metal roof. The firefighters told her that the metal roof prevented the flames from catching the large oaks and, so, protected her home. However, it also hindered the firefighters' efforts to wet down the house via the roof. The entire house had to be demolished.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:03 AM

5,365 posts, read 8,540,320 times
Hey thanks for the replies. Perhaps I'll take this to the VT forum as suggested. But brace yourselves - I, too, was thinking that re-shingling would run in the $5k range.

Also, hereinfla, I used to work for a major insurance carrier and they wouldn't touch homes with metal roofs - fires being the biggest reason. But that was in the late 70s. Today, I'm seeing a lot of new construction with these roofs, but possibly as a condition with the insurance companies that cover them these houses are equipped with sprinkler systems.

Last edited by square peg; 03-06-2007 at 11:11 AM..

Old 03-06-2007, 11:03 AM

9,342 posts, read 16,164,004 times
I paid under 3k in Tallahassee less than 3 years ago for 1600 sf house and under 4k for 1600 sf in Jax six months ago. Got my mom's done here at the same time and it was $2600 for 950 sf. All had irregular roofs. But Florida is-Florida!

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Hey thanks for the replies. Perhaps I'll take this to the VT forum as suggested. But brace yourselves - I, too, was thinking that re-shingling would run in the $5k range.

Also, hereinfla, I used to work for a major insurance carrier and they wouldn't touch homes with metal roofs - fires being the major reason. But that was in the late 70s. Today, I'm seeing a lot of new construction with these roofs, but possibly as a condition with the insurance companies that cover them these houses are equipped with sprinkler systems.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:19 PM

3,020 posts, read 16,301,091 times
First you have to have a good idea of the total square feet of the total roof.

Then is the roof going to be stripped or gone over the top? A bundle of new shingles figure $20, bit high but for estmating. Three bundles are a square. Square is 100 square feet. Divide your total square footage of roof by 100, multiple by $60. Gives you approximate materials cost.

Labor can be all over the lot. Figure $200 per square for low ball estimate.

That allows you to come up with your own lowball estimate. Get local estimates to see what it really will take.

Note: Roofers typically take into consideration height of roof, type of access, type of roof in making an estimate. The amount of cutting involved will vary the costs. Hips cost more than flat roofs. More labor, more waste.

In general a well experienced, well equipped roofer will have the lowest costs. The hardest part of the job is getting the shingles up on the roof / stripping the old layers. A roofer who uses a supplier with boom trucks saves a lot of costs.

Also note the same roof will cost different depending on a particular contractor work load and the season. In lean periods a contractor tends to bid cheaper to get work. The other consideration is quality of materials used. Be sure high quality shingles are used. Usually today that means Architectural style shingles rated at least 25 years. Get addresses of former jobs and go to see the work. Talk to owner. It pays to pay extra for the best shingles available. Read the contract, fully understand when the job will start and project time. Get start date in writing.

I have little experience with metal roof. You can do the same estimates by pricing a unit of metal roofing. A good contractor will have source of better quality materials at cheaper prices than found in a normal home improvement center.

The better roofing contractors will probably only do roofing but all types to include rubber, metal, tar / gravel, asphalt, etc. Many also will do gutters, drains, best to have that done at the same time if required.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Status: "You cant have any pudding if you dont eat you meat" (set 4 days ago)

10,718 posts, read 10,566,599 times
cosmic, excellent post and information!!! thank you (im going to need a roof soon, also)
one question...if a typical roof, has one layer of shingles, im hearing another layer can be placed on top of the old layer.
also, how much would i save, if i ripped the shingles off the roof myself?? (ballpark)?

Old 03-11-2007, 07:22 PM

3,020 posts, read 16,301,091 times
Yup, most places allow two layers of shingles. Some places even allow three. The modern shingles don't weigh as much as in the old dazes.

I don't know how you would work that out. Your typical house is like one day to strip, call it 3 - 4 man days. Give it $300 per man day, so say $1000 as some type of mean value, that is the value to the roofer, not what he might bill. Most of a roofing job is in the labor / profit, not materials.

Your typical roof is 15-20 square (100 square feet in a square). Typical materials cost is maybe ~$600 - 800 in today's cost.

The problem with stripping it is a pretty highly coordinated affair. They normally strip one half, (one side), immediately reshingle that half, then do the other half. Reasoning is set up, ladders etc is only done once and it gets the roof water tight agan quickly. Don't have to mess with tarps, etc.

I doubt any roofer would want anything to do with a deal where he did not perform all the work. To much chance of things getting snarled up, his workers standing around waiting, they want to get in and out quick on any job based on a standard way of doing things.

You might strip a roof yourself and then have the roofer do it but then it would probably require a good tarp job, over night, while waiting, etc. As a contractor I would have nothing to do with such a job.

The stripping part is the hardest part, nasty work. But usually you do it all or nothing. Roofing is tough work and they earn every dime of it. Nothing in it for the roofer to allow somebody else to do part of the work. Plenty of potential problems, legal, coordination, misunderstanding, quality control, etc.

Last edited by Cosmic; 03-11-2007 at 07:30 PM..

Old 03-12-2007, 11:06 AM

2,447 posts, read 5,095,647 times
I had my roof done last summer. I am in CT, so the prices in VT may be similar. I have about 1,000 sf of roof with no steep angles. They ripped off two existing layers (plus had a dumpster and disposed of everything) and put on architectural shingles, as well as replaced flashing. The whole thing cost about $8,500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House