U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2009, 05:33 PM

3,475 posts, read 4,880,521 times
Default Concrete cost?

I called a local concrete contractor for a estimate. I want to expand my driveway to put a parking spot next to my garage. Also I want to pour concrete for my backyard patio. Total square footage of concrete is about 700 sq. ft and he quoted me about $3.5 per sq. ft. I then asked how much more if I make the concrete as stamped concrete? He said oh a lot more, gotta add cost of dye, sealer, stamp mold, & lifter, etc., but did not give me a final quote.

Is that about the right ballpark based on your experience? I know each locality maybe different, but I hope to get a wiggle test check.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 05:37 PM

2,217 posts, read 407,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I called a local concrete contractor for a estimate. I want to expand my driveway to put a parking spot next to my garage. Also I want to pour concrete for my backyard patio. Total square footage of concrete is about 700 sq. ft and he quoted me about $3.5 per sq. ft. I then asked how much more if I make the concrete as stamped concrete? He said oh a lot more, gotta add cost of dye, sealer, stamp mold, & lifter, etc., but did not give me a final quote.

Is that about the right ballpark based on your experience? I know each locality maybe different, but I hope to get a wiggle test check.

Thanks.
Are you talking $3.50 per square foot with them doing all the work? Because Ready-Mix itself isn't that high.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:17 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,070,422 times
Quote:
He said oh a lot more, gotta add cost of dye, sealer, stamp mold, & lifter, etc., but did not give me a final quote.
This guy is a terrible salesman.

anyhow,

you need about 4 1/2 yards if you're pouring a 2" slab, which is typical for driveways. I haven't bought concrete by the yard in several months, but it seems like it was about $80/yd at that time. average cost for 2" slab here is $1.00 per sq. ft.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:42 PM

2,217 posts, read 407,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post

anyhow,

you need about 4 1/2 yards if you're pouring a 2" slab, which is typical for driveways. I haven't bought concrete by the yard in several months, but it seems like it was about $80/yd at that time. average cost for 2" slab here is $1.00 per sq. ft.
2" thick for driveways? I've never heard of pouring concrete less than 3.5" for driveways.

Are you talking fiberglass reinforced, or wire mesh, or rebar, or a combination of those?

Old 01-09-2009, 11:42 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,999,550 times
Quote:

Thanks.
You have some data missing.

How much grade work and slag is necessary for preparation ?
What type of reinforcement is figured (as already mentioned) ?

Standard thickness is 4". Anything less you are getting robbed. 700 sq ft is an 8 3/4 yard pour. Depending on the answers to the above couple questions, $3.50 a sq foot is not bad.

Not seeing anything and off the top of my head this is what I would figure:

8.75 yds/fiber - ~$800.00
Prep labor - ~$400.00
Slag/gravel - ~$100.00
Concrete finishing labor - ~$600.00
Roll of wire - ~$100.00
Cleanup finish grade work/plant grass - ~$300.00

My total is about $2,300.00 and I am probably being a little conservative. Your price was $2,450.00... The dude probably never did a stamp job if he couldn't give you a price.

It is not that much more from a reputable finisher that owns his own stamps ! Some guys charge more just because its stamped. In the end finishing concrete is just finishing concrete. Either use a trial or a stamp... take your pick.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:01 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,070,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
2" thick for driveways? I've never heard of pouring concrete less than 3.5" for driveways.

Are you talking fiberglass reinforced, or wire mesh, or rebar, or a combination of those?
2" for driveways and patios, 4" for home slabs.

i'm not a concrete guy so i can't tell you 'why', only 'how' they do it.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:23 AM

WOW! Thanks for great responses so far! Let me answer some questions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Are you talking $3.50 per square foot with them doing all the work? Because Ready-Mix itself isn't that high.
Yes, $3.50 per sq ft with them doing all the work (setup, prep, pour, finish, etc.)

What is Ready-Mix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post

anyhow,

That sounds very dead-on. I asked a co-worker who've just recently built his house, he had contractor come in but he paid for the materials, e.g., concrete & the woods, himself. It came out about $1.00/sq. ft for the materiels.

I am just hesitant since I have never pour concrete myself before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
You have some data missing.

How much grade work and slag is necessary for preparation ?
What type of reinforcement is figured (as already mentioned) ?
Thanks for a detailed response, Stephan.

Not much grade work is required. The house is on a flat land with a slight slope away from the house for drainage. Slag? Don't think we have those here in N. Alabama. It's red sticky soil and 12 ~ 24 inches below that are limestone rocks.

I did ask about reinforcement, rebar, wire mesh, etc., he said not required for driveway & patio. So it will be just wood for the concrete setup.

Quote:
Standard thickness is 4". Anything less you are getting robbed. 700 sq ft is an 8 3/4 yard pour. Depending on the answers to the above couple questions, $3.50 a sq foot is not bad.
Good question. I did not ask about how thick he'll pour. I'll be sure to ask.

So you're saying a 4" thick for driveway & patio as well?

Quote:
Not seeing anything and off the top of my head this is what I would figure:

8.75 yds/fiber - ~$800.00
Prep labor - ~$400.00
Slag/gravel - ~$100.00
Concrete finishing labor - ~$600.00
Roll of wire - ~$100.00
Cleanup finish grade work/plant grass - ~$300.00

My total is about $2,300.00 and I am probably being a little conservative. Your price was $2,450.00... The dude probably never did a stamp job if he couldn't give you a price.

It is not that much more from a reputable finisher that owns his own stamps ! Some guys charge more just because its stamped. In the end finishing concrete is just finishing concrete. Either use a trial or a stamp... take your pick.
Wow! Thanks for a detailed breakdown! Yes, he quoted me a price for $2,500. I'll need to get a different quote from stamped concrete guys.

Thanks again folks, what you all said gave me a wam & fuzzy on the quote. There are a few things I"ll need to clarify with the quote as well as getting additional quotes, but looks like it's on the right ball park.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:36 AM

That's right... you guys do pour 2" slabs down south. I'm from the north and always have been. Never done anything less than 4". Drives usually 4" - 6" with the approaches 6" minimum.

Don't understand the science behind why you would walk on 4" of concrete and drive a vehicle on only 2"

Old 01-10-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:

What is Ready-Mix?

Thanks for a detailed response, Stephan.

Not much grade work is required. The house is on a flat land with a slight slope away from the house for drainage. Slag? Don't think we have those here in N. Alabama. It's red sticky soil and 12 ~ 24 inches below that are limestone rocks.

I did ask about reinforcement, rebar, wire mesh, etc., he said not required for driveway & patio. So it will be just wood for the concrete setup.

Good question. I did not ask about how thick he'll pour. I'll be sure to ask.

So you're saying a 4" thick for driveway & patio as well?

Wow! Thanks for a detailed breakdown! Yes, he quoted me a price for $2,500. I'll need to get a different quote from stamped concrete guys.
Ready-mix is concrete.

Slag? Sorry for my northern rust belt terminology. I did all my construction work in OH. Gravel/crushed stone is what I should have said. The grass/dirt has to come out and some base (gravel/crushed stone) has to be put in. Then your concrete on top of that.

Now, you being in the south... things may be very different for concrete work there. Obviously you guys like to pour 2" slabs. That's a no-no in the north but customary in the south. And maybe you guys pour right over the dirt with no base ?! Not sure now.

Reinforcement goes in the concrete in the form of wire mesh, rebar and fiber mix. Wood is not reinforcement. I think you misunderstood him a bit. Probably using wood for forms. (and charging you for it)

From what you have said so far and what I have gathered of concrete in the south, get a different quote ! If it is figured a 2" slab with no reinforcing and gravel for base with probably minimal to no prep and cleanup work, it becomes more like what Southgeorgia said... I personally wouldn't pay anything over $1.50 a foot in a situation like that. And that's being super generous IMO ! And don't forget, I know no real details of you project either... You may have some extenuating circumstances that change things significantly.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post

From what you have said so far and what I have gathered of concrete in the south, get a different quote ! If it is figured a 2" slab with no reinforcing and gravel for base with probably minimal to no prep and cleanup work, it becomes more like what Southgeorgia said... I personally wouldn't pay anything over $1.50 a foot in a situation like that. And that's being super generous IMO ! And don't forget, I know no real details of you project either... You may have some extenuating circumstances that change things significantly.
Sounds like a good suggestion. No extenuating circumstances that I am aware of. I talked to this guy over the phone and he wouldn't be aware of any if I didn't tell him (since I was not aware of any).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House