Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:42 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

We tried to use a three way cfl bulb in our three way lamps. They didn't even last a month. We switched back to the regular 3 way bulbs. Most of the time we leave it at the 30 watt setting. My wife can read on that setting or the next one up. My father-in-law and I have to read at the high setting. I love having the cfl in the nightstand lamp. It's a bulb that's suppose to put out the light of a 40 watt bulb. What's good about this is you're not instantly blinded when turning on the lamp at night since it must warm up.

Another downside to CFL bulbs is they cannot be used with certain types of timers and adaptors (dusk till dawn switch for example). They're useless when used outside in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 02:15 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,053 times
[quote=southgeorgia;6947336]

don't be fooled.

those high cost TCP full spectrum bulbs (that i sell and install) are identical to those you find for 1/10 the cost @ Wal-Mart. Why? Because they are repackaged TCP bulbs. Shhhhh.

Might be true for what you're familiar with but not necessarily true . Obviously I've got some from the local home center etc etc etc as well. If you put them side by side and both on for the same amount of time,stand back and look at them ... a blind person can see the difference in the spectrum output.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:18 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
They're useless when used outside in the winter.
I'm in NC and they work fine w/my outdoor fixtures.....

Old 01-11-2009, 02:37 PM

290 posts, read 1,181,170 times
We replaced our often used (like hallways and top of kitchen sink and breakfast area) bulbs with CFLs and left the less often used (like bathrooms) with normal bulbs. It took some time to get used to them but now they seem to fit ok. No flicker noticed. All of them are 15Watts (equivalent to 65W).

I wish night lights are made with CFL bulbs. Each one of our night lights consumes (if I remember correctly) 7W and we have 8 or 9 of them. I saw the LED ones at HD the other day, but a little expensive compared to normal ones.

Anyways, some countries have recently outlawed incadescent bulbs... People simply can't buy them anymore. Yeah, I know it is extreme, but my personal opinion that this is needed to help reduce overall energy consumption. ie part of a solution... For example in my house, I replaced 14 65W incadescent bulbs with 14 15W CFL bulbs. That is a difference of 700W ... if everyone did something similar it can add up considerably. Sure, it doesn't work for everyone. I understand. However it is an eye opener when you see how it adds up..

Old 01-11-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacePlease View Post
We replaced our often used (like hallways and top of kitchen sink and breakfast area) bulbs with CFLs and left the less often used (like bathrooms) with normal bulbs. It took some time to get used to them but now they seem to fit ok. No flicker noticed. All of them are 15Watts (equivalent to 65W).

I wish night lights are made with CFL bulbs. Each one of our night lights consumes (if I remember correctly) 7W and we have 8 or 9 of them. I saw the LED ones at HD the other day, but a little expensive compared to normal ones.

Anyways, some countries have recently outlawed incadescent bulbs... People simply can't buy them anymore. Yeah, I know it is extreme, but my personal opinion that this is needed to help reduce overall energy consumption. ie part of a solution... For example in my house, I replaced 14 65W incadescent bulbs with 14 15W CFL bulbs. That is a difference of 700W ... if everyone did something similar it can add up considerably. Sure, it doesn't work for everyone. I understand. However it is an eye opener when you see how it adds up..
The problem w/flourescents is the price tag up front....it scares people off mostly. However if people calculated that they would pay themselves off in about 6-9 months, you'd get better sales of them IMO...

LED's will be the next flourescents in about 10 yrs IMO......

Use less energy than flourescents, but much more expensive and more limited...

Old 01-11-2009, 07:21 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
I have purchased a sufficient quantity of incandescent light bulbs to last me for the rest of my life, the life of my children and grandchildren.

I will not, ever, intentionally use CFL bulbs.

If someone gives me one - I merely toss them in the trash

Old 01-11-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I have purchased a sufficient quantity of incandescent light bulbs to last me for the rest of my life, the life of my children and grandchildren.

That sounds rather odd...why would you do that?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
That sounds rather odd...why would you do that?
I don't like the CFL bulb. I believe them to be totally unnecessary. They are a waste

Old 01-11-2009, 08:04 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

Assuming you're not joking, why is that?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Assuming you're not joking, why is that?
CFL's are unnecessary

They do not produce quality lighting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House