Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
... to be set around .04-.06...

Coalman may know the right draft requirements for your stove.
Right in that area, we have a loaner manometer program on my forum that a few forum members put together.

Manometer Loaner Program - Venting, Plumbing, Chimneys, Controls, Coal Bins

One thing to keep in mind is some of the older hand fired stoves are very "leaky" and may require manual damper. If you're in a very windy area it might be advisable too. Never use one a stoker stove though.

This topic is like the PC vs. Mac debates you see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 03:12 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
What- the wood vs. coal?

I know in my burning 'tenure' I really never had a problem with drafting and the Dutchwest wood stoves I used. If there was an unusually low pressure system I would get some backpuffing until the flue heated up. Just had to build smaller, hotter fires, that's all.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
What- the wood vs. coal?
Baro vs. Hand Damper when using coal.

Also if you have wood and are reading this no baro on wood stoves, that will create perfect draft in the event of a chimney fire and greatly increase the fire.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 AM

Oh- got it.

I've had one chimney fire with a wood stove. Actually the flue was pretty clean, but there was accumulated loose creosote on the smoke shelf that touched off. And when it touched off- it WENT. Flames shot out the chimney 6ft.+ like a Roman candle on steroids I doubt a baro would have stopped it.

The stove was a freestanding vented into the fireplace via a stainless steel 'flexiliner' that went past the shelf into the first course of tile. I installed a blockoff plate where the steel damper normally rested, so after cleaning the flue the crap would fall down on the shelf, and if you didn't take the time to remove the block-off plate (like my dumb-a*s) it gathered up quickly.

Anyway to make a long story short- I opened the wood stove all the way and shot dry extinguisher up the flue which put it out quickly, then got up on the roof and shot down onto the smoke shelf.

Lesson learned.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I doubt a baro would have stopped it.
Sorry if there was misunderstanding but a Baro on a wood stove is a huge safety issue, if you have a chimney fire it will increase the effects because you have the perfect source for oxygen greatly increasing the intensity of the fire.

You can use one on a coal stove because there is no chance of chimney fire. Matter of fact and not that I'm suggesting it but it will clean the creosote out of a chimney. Actually have to be careful if you have a chimney that previosuly used wood because the creosote will dry out and flake off.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:23 PM

I've never used a baro but I thought it would shut down the inside air feed if the draft was induced too strong, as in the case with a chimney fire.there is no chance of a fire with coal? Maybe with anthracite when burned correctly but my buddy in PA melted a metal chimney from a coal soot buildup fire, lol. He burned nut coal, and not too well at that. Very, very messy in the old WonderCoal stove he had.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:35 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
We have a Baro-T in each stovepipe.

I look at them as just another method to draft more inside air out.

Our stovepipes are sheetmetal, and there is no combustible material within a reasonible distance from either of them. So I really have not been concerned about chimney fires.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
as in the case with a chimney fire.there is no chance of a fire with coal?
There's nothing to burn. The only thing coal produces is fly ash. You have to clean it out usually once a year because it eventually block the chimney but it's not combustible.

Quote:
my buddy in PA melted a metal chimney from a coal soot buildup fire,
If you're firing it that hot you're going to damage the stove. As far as anthracite goes there is no soot, I guess the possibility exists with soft coal but I'm not all that familiar with it. I'm pretty sure it's not that much of concern.

The one concern with anthracite and fire is any combustibles near the stove or flue pipe. Even the flue pipe isn't a big concern becsue it has much lower stack temperatures than wood. When my stoker has been idkling for a while I can touch the flue pipe.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:29 PM

He stopped using nut coal and switched to wood. It was too messy in that stove. Every spring he had to wash the walls down. Very, very messy.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
He stopped using nut coal and switched to wood. It was too messy in that stove. Every spring he had to wash the walls down. Very, very messy.
Well then it was definitely soft coal (nut or chestnut FYI is a size), anthracite is quite clean to use. You'll get some light dust from moving the ashes and the coal but that's it and you'll have that problem with any solid fuel appliance. .

This says all that needs to be said about the way it burns, there's no smoke and that is whether it's idling or full throttle:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House