U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:00 AM

23,265 posts, read 17,639,241 times

Advertisements

First the obvious and most important. Have you cleaned the flue recently?

The second question is what type of stoker is it, make and model?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 14,371 times
The flue has been cleaned recently, and I'm not sure about the make and model. It was in the house when we moved here. Where would I find that info?

Old 02-05-2011, 09:20 AM

The reason I ask is because you said it had auger but I don't believe there is any models with an auger and a bin attached.

I'm assuming the bin is attached to the side and it has a pusher bar that pushes the coal onto bed that holes like this?

Every model differs and I'm not too familiar with these but I do know some times the grate gets packed with fines. The air will get pushed back into hopper.

In any event the cause of this is related to pressure inside the stoker created by the combustion fan, something is preventing the air from flowing freely. It could even be because you don't have a high enough chimney.

My suggestion is to find out what model you have and post your question on my own forum, you'll get the answers you need there from someone more familiar with your stoker.

Energy, Anthracite & Bituminous Coal, HVAC

Old 02-05-2011, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 14,371 times
Thank you. I'll investigate it further. Could you please direct me to your forum?

Old 12-02-2011, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 18,311 times
Default Coal fire in an Alaska stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspoc6 View Post
I just had an alaska hearth coal stove put in. I have tried to keep the fire going for the past 2 days and doesnt seem to catch for too long, and doesnt seem to feed that well. any suggestions?
Hi:
I put together few videos, showing how a stoker stove works, and one video shos how to start a fire in a stoker stove.

The one Video you may be interested in looking at, is the one showing the detailed mechanism, my email is somewhere in the video, just email me with any questions

KoalPilot's Channel - YouTube

Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,489 times
I just discovered the easiest way to start a coal fire in my Franco-Belge coal stove. I bought a Weber charcoal chimney. In the bottom of this you put newspaper. In the top you put a good amount of charcoal briquets. Start the newspaper--out in your driveway. Let it burn down about 15 minutes. At this point, you'll have glowing coals.

Put a layer of unburned charcoal briquets in the bottom of your coal stove. Then carefully shovel (with a stove shovel) the burning coals onto those unburned briquets. Let that burn for a bit and then put a small amount of coal on top. After everything gets burning, load on more coal.

I've tried all the other methods. This method works every time for me--and no smell to speak of. Don't use the match-light charcoal, though. Be careful of embers when you load the burning coals...

Old 09-29-2012, 05:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
We have an older coal stove in our home we are just beginning to use. I have anthracite coal and we've tried to start lighting it, but it needs a very hot flame to burn and continue burning.
We put kindling and small wood chunk "starter" logs in the stove to get things going, but the smoke was pouring out of the front smoking up the house and not giving the coal enough heat to catch.
We then decided to put the coal in the fireplace, get it red hot, and transfer to the coal stove. So far, that does not appear to be working really either--the coal tends to start cooling down.
What's the key to keeping coal burning and starting it burning?

Thanks!
I spent my first season figuring this out but it works-I use a handful of wood pellets on top of the coal with a starter stick broke in half and stuck in the center-I light it with a small torch til its going good then let it go-I also use a piece of metal to block the pile on the grate from falling down into the ash pan and remove the metal once the coal is going strong-also regulate whatever you need to in order to have air and a slow steady feed of coal-this works every time-a bag of wood pellets cost about $5 and usually lasts all winter-good luck

Old 10-07-2012, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,336 times
I don't understand the "gimmicks" that people are using to start their coal fires. A good bed of coals from burning hard wood or charcoal and start adding the coal and you are soon in business. Not a problem ! The only problem here in CT is keeping the fire going in mild weather. When the demand for heat is there coal is a "winner" in my book Scuff; CT

Old 10-07-2012, 11:05 PM

I think the problem Bob is too many people try and rush it and start poking and prodding it. With stoker you don't even need a real big bed but what you have to do is make sure sure you let the wood fire get established and burn down a little. Total Elapsed time here is 10 minutes:

Load some coal on and it's OUT! That's actually the wood smoking, anthracite doesn't smoke.

Turn the stoker on and get some airflowing:

I like the "dancing blue ladies" for pure entertainment value and the best way to get long wispy blue streaks is to load it up with some more coal.

About 10 minutes into this:

Idle about 30 minutes into it:

Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 PM

7 posts, read 13,811 times
I am having an easy time starting my coal stove, I use a bed of match light and add small pieces of coal a little at a time then once it is all coal burning, I fill the chute. My problem is I have to shake it down every couple hours, if I don't, it goes out. I always have clinkers and have to knife the dickens out of it to break them up so they fall thru the grate. I have been told a coal chute should last at least 12 hours without fuss, I am lucky to get 4-5 without poking it. I cannot figure out what to do. I have been playing with the back lower draft and have not come up with a solution. This is the 2nd year with the stove and I am ready to switch out my heat source.
Any help would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House