U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 09:46 PM

8 posts, read 40,423 times

Advertisements

Hi ,

I'm purchasing a home and the house has gas range. I'm thinking about converting to an electric range cause I think gas range is very expensive to pay monthly gas in northern virginia. I don't know if I have the information right. Does anyone use gas range over electric range and think electric range is less expensive to use ??
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 10:08 PM

588 posts, read 2,492,139 times
You need to know the cost of gas per BTU and the cost of electricity per kwH in your city to make an accurate comparison.

This site has some pretty good information on calculating costs.

There was also a previous thread on the subject.

Operating costs aside, for convenience and flexibility, you can't beat a gas range.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:06 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,068,533 times
Default They are not the same animal.......

Many natuaral gas companies charge all sorts of fees beyond the basic price of the fuel. So do some electric companies. If the stove is your own gas use it is a no brainer, the electric is probably going to be cheaper.

For example, my gas company, only about 60 cents of every dollar actually buys fuel. The rest goes for monthly user fees, taxes, more fees, more taxes, transportation charges, more taxes, more fees.

Most of the electric bill goes for power.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:55 AM

952 posts, read 1,862,113 times
We have a gas range, which I really like. It was especially handy this fall, when we were out of electricty for 4 days. We were still able to cook with a gas range, wouldn't be able to do that with an electric one. I don't think the costs are that much different.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:26 AM

2,214 posts, read 1,635,779 times
We have an electric range, though both my wife & I prefer gas. Within the year we'll probably Craigslist the electric and buy a new gas range.

Gas stoves are more expensive to buy, but unless the local company charges outlandish prices, they're cheaper to operate.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:51 AM

19,879 posts, read 36,379,125 times
I wouldn't have an electric range. Very much a cook, used to be a personal chef so used all sorts of stoves, won't have electric in my house. Yes, I'm a control freak about my cooking!

Plus, no power for a week out in the boonies with no way to leave (trees bending down and touching the quarter mile drive), gas cooking and gas heat are almost literally lifesavers.

That being said, here in our part of Texas, anyway, gas is cheaper. Your mileage most certainly may vary.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:51 AM

10,936 posts, read 14,584,566 times
I recently bought a nice 5 burner gas range with large oven for less than $600. 1 power burner, one simmer burner, one large oval for the griddle.

We use natural gas for heat, hot water and cooking. During non-heating months, we rarely use more than 2 mcf of gas per month for hot water AND cooking. Based on current rates of about $13.80 per mcf, thats $30 a month for both..

We estimate the stove uses less than .5 mcf per month, or about $7 a month. And we use the stove and oven a lot. My wife is a stay at home mom and cooks every day..

Even if an electric range used half the energy of a gas range, I wouldn't switch for one second.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:23 AM

7,099 posts, read 23,885,607 times
It will depend on a lot of things. I have a gas range and I suspect that at the present time, it costs more to use than an electric.

However, I think it's worth it. I have cooked on an electric stove, and while I can do it just fine, I like the gas range much, much more.

My dream kitchen would have a gas range top with an electric oven and gas broiler.

We are in an area with frequet power outages. That's when I give thanks for my gas stove.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:56 AM

5,292 posts, read 20,697,476 times
The cost of operation does not differ enough to make a difference to most. But the cost of replacement is worth looking at, especially if the house is not already wired for an electric stove/range. Normally it would use a 220 circuit so the service, breaker, and wiring must exist or be installed.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:03 AM

2,214 posts, read 1,635,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The cost of operation does not differ enough to make a difference to most. But the cost of replacement is worth looking at, especially if the house is not already wired for an electric stove/range. Normally it would use a 220 circuit so the service, breaker, and wiring must exist or be installed.
That's a good point.

Running a gas line, or wiring for 220, are both expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House