Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 09:31 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,674 times

Advertisements

I’m going to finish the basement of the home I just bought. I was wondering how difficult and expensive (for a professional) it will be to install a wood stove. If the wood stove won’t work, how about a natural gas fireplace? Just curios for some ballpark ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 09:56 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Not that a wood stove won't work- but it would require a substantial amount of chimney pipe to create draw. But a direct vent/ gas only fireplace can be a lot easier- and cleaner!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:32 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Material cost for insulated or mullti-wall stainless steel flues can be high (on the order of a couple bucks an inch or more). Sometimes Tractor Supply has it for less. The flue needs to extend at least a couple feet above the top of the ridgeline. Ballparking, a pro might install a simple job for $8/inch, but the variables are so great that figure could be worthless. Figure $800+ for an EPA compliant decent wood stove. If you got done for under $2500 I'd be surprised.

Gas would be much less expensive all around. If you are looking for heat, a simple in-wall gas heater is relatively inexpensive. If you are looking for a design element and open fire look, costs rise.

Propane sinks and natural gas rises, so I wouldn't install a propane gas log system in a basement, but that is just me. People put propane furnaces and water heaters in them all the time.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:55 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,674 times
I love gas fireplaces. My only thought on a woodstove would be for emergency backup heat. I live in an area that has cold winters and is earthquake prone. I'll have to think about if it's worth the extra cost for the peace of mind it adds for the remote chance.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:19 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
If you do a wood fire place, make sure you have someone that knows what they are doing when they install the chimney. Years ago my parents had one put in and they did a bad job. It was bad enough that they pretty much had to gut the room the fireplace was in because of water damage.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:49 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
My town requires a license and inspection of any woodstove installed.
I'd like one for the sight of fire and to warm my great room on cold nights. Don't like the look of a gas fireplace, and already have gas heat.
I'd like to have some heat source that doesn't depend on electric. December's ice storm left me cold and dark for three days, and it was 45 degrees when the heat kicked back in. (Natural gas, electric blowers).
I have an unerring sense for the expensive- I love soapstone contemporary stoves. Might have to back off on that.
I'm not going to have a stove until I stop working full-time third shift. I look forward to settling in for the evening with a woodstove, the trees and moon outside, the rescue mutts dozing happily. (Right now, I crawl out of the low-ceiling warm bedroom, and dash to the night shift- no time to enjoy a woodstove).

Old 01-13-2009, 05:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
One thing to consider is that insurance companies don't like wood stoves very much and you could see a big increase in your premium--they do spot checks of homes and will see the vent even if you don't tell them. A gas fireplace would be a better option--and better for resale.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:31 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Get a vent free gas heater. Friend put one and it dropped his heating bill significantly.
What I miss is just the plain old open fireplace. You stand there with your back to it, getting warm and toasty. Then you start to walk away and realize how much heat the back of your jeans hold! lol

Old 01-13-2009, 10:14 AM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
I just ripped out the gas logs and pipes from our fireplace in the house we bought a year ago. That nice, big, 40 year old solid brick raised hearth fireplace wants WOOD baby!!

A nice pile of burning white-oak is just 1000% more inviting than the hiss and repetiveness of gas. And next year I'm putting in a nice woodstove. Maybe a jotul or a soapstone model.

Nothing, and I mean nothing beats that warm you all over feeling like a woodstove.

(Plus- women like real men who use their WOOD, not gas.. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House