U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-15-2009, 04:42 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,746,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Well the farther you get away from the Northeastern Pennsylvania area the more it costs. Locally it starts around $160 delivered in bulk. Many in far out of the way places will get it by the tractor trailer load which is good for many seasons, the one guy in Maine got it for about $250/ton last year.

1 ton of coal = 1.2 cords of wood....

Fuel Comparison Calculator for Home Heating

There's other benefits as well, minimal burn time on most coal stoves is 12 hours, stokers are automated so that really depends on the size of the hopper and ash pit but anywhere from 2 days to weeks if you went through the trouble to set ti up right.
Big difference is that wood is renewable and anthracite isn't , plus wood is eco friendly as the trees gobble up CO2 as they grow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 08:17 PM

21,331 posts, read 14,671,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
It is actually very bad for kids with asthma and can lead to chest complaints.
Health Effects | Burn Wise | US EPA
If you have smoke in your house I'd be more concerned about other things besides asthma such as CO levels. Most people burning wood are doing it in sealed wood stoves and there really shouldn't be much of smoke smell in the house. Certainly you're going to have some because you need to load it but even a little bit of smoke is pretty powerful smell.

Having said that doesn't that medical study I linked too at least peak your interest?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Big difference is that wood is renewable and anthracite isn't , plus wood is eco friendly as the trees gobble up CO2 as they grow
There's an estimated 6 billion tons of recoverable anthracite in NEPA. At current production rates it could last for thousands of years. If 20 million households started using it you could heat them for about 70 years. 6 billion tons sounds like a lot but comapred to soft coal deposits it's small fish in a big pond.

As far as CO2 and comparing it to other fuels anthracite has the highest CO2/BTU output of any fuel... however when you factor in all the variables like processing and efficiency it's far better source to heat your home than electric or oil two primary ways people heat their homes in the Northeast.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:03 PM

4,816 posts, read 5,478,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
There's just something inviting about a big ole woodstove and a brick hearth that you can step up on to get warmed up. It's just downright cozy.
Definitely! I also agree with the comments on wood.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:51 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,062,916 times
We have spare-the-air days during winter when burning wood is prohibited, but the usual offenders don't pay attention and burn anyway. There is no enforcement.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
We have spare-the-air days during winter when burning wood is prohibited, but the usual offenders don't pay attention and burn anyway. There is no enforcement.
Whacko liberalist idea? Did they ever bother to think that heat has to be made up elsewhere such as using oil or electric? You're just moving the pollution form one source to another and to top it off since wood is going to be a local product I'd be willing to bet much more pollution.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:30 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,062,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Whacko liberalist idea? Did they ever bother to think that heat has to be made up elsewhere such as using oil or electric? You're just moving the pollution form one source to another and to top it off since wood is going to be a local product I'd be willing to bet much more pollution.
I guess I must be a wacko liberalist to not want my neighbors to burn their fireplaces on days when the ozone is high or there is an inversion layer which traps all the smoke locally. I don't make the rules. Still, I'd rather that my neighbors burned some natural gas on those days instead of flaunting the law and burning their wood all day long. *COUGH COUGH*

Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 AM

7,915 posts, read 4,745,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
I guess I must be a wacko liberalist to not want my neighbors to burn their fireplaces on days when the ozone is high or there is an inversion layer which traps all the smoke locally. I don't make the rules. Still, I'd rather that my neighbors burned some natural gas on those days instead of flaunting the law and burning their wood all day long. *COUGH COUGH*
Well, perhaps then, out of the goodness of your own heart, you could purchase your "inconsiderate" wood-burning neighbors a back-up gas furnace, pay to have it installed, and ensure that they have a supply of said gas for when they aren't allowed to burn their woodstoves for heat? Does it ever occur to some of you folks that wood heat is still the only "affordable" heat source for them. It is for our family. Fortunately, we live a few blocks from the Pacific Ocean and always have a breeze clearing away the smoke.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:38 PM

6,271 posts, read 11,770,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Well, perhaps then, out of the goodness of your own heart, you could purchase your "inconsiderate" wood-burning neighbors a back-up gas furnace, pay to have it installed, and ensure that they have a supply of said gas for when they aren't allowed to burn their woodstoves for heat? Does it ever occur to some of you folks that wood heat is still the only "affordable" heat source for them. It is for our family. Fortunately, we live a few blocks from the Pacific Ocean and always have a breeze clearing away the smoke.
and that makes it ok for others to suffer due to smoke pouring over and into other's homes? I think not. Myself and others are not responsible for our neighbors expenses. I feel it's my responsibility to ensure I don't infringe on my neighbors;as such I keep my yard clean and manicured,do not allow my dogs to bark and making sure if I have a fire that it doesn't blow into someone else's home. Wish I could say the same for my wood burning neighbors as they also have dogs penned next to my privacy fence and the dogs bark non stop all the while smoke from their chimney is pouring over all the neighborhood and their yard looks like crap.. Ahh.......I just love good neighbors
It may be fortunate for YOU that you live near an ocean and the breeze clears away your smoke; others may not feel that fortunate.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:03 PM

7,915 posts, read 4,745,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
and that makes it ok for others to suffer due to smoke pouring over and into other's homes? I think not. Myself and others are not responsible for our neighbors expenses. I feel it's my responsibility to ensure I don't infringe on my neighbors;as such I keep my yard clean and manicured,do not allow my dogs to bark and making sure if I have a fire that it doesn't blow into someone else's home. Wish I could say the same for my wood burning neighbors as they also have dogs penned next to my privacy fence and the dogs bark non stop all the while smoke from their chimney is pouring over all the neighborhood and their yard looks like crap.. Ahh.......I just love good neighbors
It may be fortunate for YOU that you live near an ocean and the breeze clears away your smoke; others may not feel that fortunate.
You're right DreamWeavin...I don't live in your neighborhood and am not living under the same circumstance as some here. I do, however, have a crackhead/drunk/disability check laden trailer park next door that gives me just as much grief as your neighbors give you. LOL I guess we all have our own undesirable neighbors to deal with, eh? Different situations, but no less irritating. Oh...and we are property owners/taxpayers, etc., as are all of the adjoining neighbors.....do you think we can do anything about it? Nope! We simply have to gripe and moan, call the cops when 3 a.m. traffic gets to bothersome and throw rocks at their animals that come into our yards to do their business...cuz ya see, the trailer park has no place for their animals to potty....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House