U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-04-2010, 08:29 PM

5,604 posts, read 9,525,629 times

Advertisements

Why would your neighbors have a fire if it's 70 degrees outside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 09:28 PM

23,271 posts, read 17,639,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Why would your neighbors have a fire if it's 70 degrees outside?

Cold morning? In my area it's not unreasonable to have a 40 degree morning and see it up into 60's or 70's by afternoon. Typical wood fire might burn for 4 or 5 hours.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 PM

124 posts, read 176,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
This is just totally untrue. Property rights means that you owe your city property taxes. There are very many limits to what you can do on your own property, so many that I won't even bother to list ANY.
I think a lot of the problems that house heating fires cause is the result of poor burning habits, like a fire that isn't hot enough to fully combust the wood, or even people who burn wet wood.

Another problem is chimneys that aren't high enough. My neighbor's chimney is only a few feet from my house, so any time there is a fire over there, the smoke blows into my house before it reaches the atmosphere. That's not a problem when it's cold out and all of the doors are closed, but it IS a problem when it's 70' out and the middle of a sunny day and I'm trying to do things without being enveloped in a cloud of smoke.
Perhaps in your state, there are more limits to what you can do on your property. However, in Maine, that is the opposite.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:00 PM

124 posts, read 176,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Paranoid much? Not saying.....just asking!
No, I am not paranoid. My husband and I simply work hard to afford nice things in life, a home where we can do as we would like, and nice vehicles and a good private school for our children. And every time someone starts to complain about things that are so trivial it feels like a smack against all the sacrifices to make those things happen. I live in a great state where people tend to mind their own business. I also come from a long line of typical "crusty" New Englanders. We aren't much for interference. There are things my neighbors do that irritate me, but never would I think to complain about it about their home because it's their property.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:16 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,441,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerwoman View Post
No, I am not paranoid. My husband and I simply work hard to afford nice things in life, a home where we can do as we would like, and nice vehicles and a good private school for our children. And every time someone starts to complain about things that are so trivial it feels like a smack against all the sacrifices to make those things happen. I live in a great state where people tend to mind their own business. I also come from a long line of typical "crusty" New Englanders. We aren't much for interference. There are things my neighbors do that irritate me, but never would I think to complain about it about their home because it's their property.
I pretty much agree with everything you wrote here....and come from some crusty NE stock myself. Believe it or not, I really wasn't attacking you, just letting you know that a whole lot of us WA residents (at least in MY part of the state) are very much like you folks up there. I did, however, take offense to your WA resident comments. We are live and let live folks (for the most part) and yeah, we do have a few people in our town who can't seem to just leave people alone....whine about woodstoves because they don't have one, complain if a neighbor's house isn't up to par because it might lower their property values IF they should choose to sell it (even though they're not considering it). There are nasty, butt-inskys everywhere. Like I said, for the most part, at least in my part of the state, we have a tendency to mind our own business. Keep if out of my yard, don't keep me up all night and you're fine. You leave me alone, I'll leave you alone. You pick on me or my family, I'm comin after you like a pit bull! LOL

Have a great day!

Old 01-13-2011, 02:57 PM

84 posts, read 177,694 times
Apologies, I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm having this problem too. I usually love the smell of a wood burning fireplace and we used to own one. However, this is our first winter at our new house and our neighbor's smoke from his fireplace is coming into our home. He has two wood burning fireplaces he uses at the same time and our homes are really close together. I also think we have a draft problem with our windows/doors. It's an all around mess!
I'm 7 months pregnant and I have a really bad cold/congestion/cough. The smell of both of his fireplaces going at once is sending me over the edge. I can't go outside to escape it, I can't stay in and hide from it, and I really don't feel like leaving my house. I sympathize with the OP. It's not like I catch just a "whiff" of the smell, my whole house smells like a smoke pit. Like I said, I normally love this smell. I just don't like to marinate in it in my own home.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:43 AM

15 posts, read 79,079 times
Default Sorry

@Chai - So sorry that you have to go through this. I was in your shoes 2 years ago. I now have a 1.5 year old and am still fighting for clean air. I'm allergic to it and it causes my ear to fill with fluid. Sucks, because it affects my balance. My neighbors are burning a dirty stove. I was forced to purchase an air filter. It ran me $300 (with $150 annual replacement parts), but works to clean the room that I'm in at the time. I just move it with me if I need. My daughter gets it in her room overnight. I can't believe that my neighbor's keep burning, when it is ruining my quality of life.

FIGHT!

Old 02-10-2011, 06:50 AM

15 posts, read 79,079 times
@Miamiam-
The reason this thread was started is so that people who live near folks who use outdated equipment or burn incorrectly can have support. Using your property includes being sure that the toxic **** from your property doesn't invade your neighbor's property.

There is a HUGE problem with ignorant people burning wood. They have no idea how to ensure a safe byproduct = no byproduct.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:22 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,938,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedMama View Post
@Chai - So sorry that you have to go through this. I was in your shoes 2 years ago. I now have a 1.5 year old and am still fighting for clean air. I'm allergic to it and it causes my ear to fill with fluid. Sucks, because it affects my balance. My neighbors are burning a dirty stove. I was forced to purchase an air filter. It ran me $300 (with $150 annual replacement parts), but works to clean the room that I'm in at the time. I just move it with me if I need. My daughter gets it in her room overnight. I can't believe that my neighbor's keep burning, when it is ruining my quality of life.

FIGHT!
I guess you need to buy a few more air purifiers.

If it is ruining the quality of your life, fix your place up to not allow drafts or move.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:27 PM

7,890 posts, read 5,818,413 times
So this is where the trolls hang out!

I have no problem with wood smoke now but I used to get it from my neighbors when I had a house.

The smokey smell would start at about 11pm and at first I used to think my house was on fire. But when I opened the door, the outside air was all smokey and it was not coming from my house.

Those houses were close together, maybe that was it.

My solution was to move close to the ocean and in a RICH area where people don't use wood stoves. Once in a while I can smell that nice fireplace aroma, but only if I am outside, not in the house.

I'm in an apartment too and that helps--no woodstoves in an apartment.

I still love camping and campfires and toasting marshmallows. I just don't want to forced to breathe smoke in my own home -- asthma is bad enough without that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House