Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Town with a great school system for special needs child, extra resource time, academically good

Old 03-09-2007, 03:05 AM

44 posts, read 163,745 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I've had it with Fairfield, CT, prices on everything - taxes, utilities, etc.

So I'm tempted to pack it all in and move SOUTh, or somewhere where it is warm now, rather than 20 degrees or so.

But where to go??? I have a 9.5 year old son with special needs, so I need a town with a great school system that will accommodate him with extra resource time, etc.

Suggestions?

Patty in CT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 07:11 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Good luck to you.
I just want to add it's funny how Fairfield can be rated one of the best cities by Money Magazine for 2006 yet you want to leave. It only goes to show how you have to take these 'best places' with a grain of salt.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:49 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
There are a million places that are wonderful you could choose. Where is a place you always thought would be nice to live in? Start with researching that.
I've never been to Connecticut, but I've been all over Rhode Island (which I loved!!!), and Massachusetts which was ok, but didn't blow my socks off. Lot's of easterners and New Englanders are moving to North Carolina and it is a gorgeous state, but I think the influx is pretty big right now and it may affect class sizes in parts of the state, etc. You could also try the Midwest.
I'm a transplanted Midwesterner now (used to be Californian born and bred ) and if I had a family, I'd raise kids happily where I am. I live out in the country and one neighbor has 7 kids from 7 to 19 years old and they walk in single file just like the Partridge Family! Then the two kids across the road, super well behaved good kids. They all have fun out in the fields and woods.
I'm sure you'll find your spot, just start with researching those places first you always thought..hmmmm....about.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:50 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
I used to live in Stratford, Connecticut and loved the area...but that was long ago in the 80s during high school. But to answer your question do some serious research on schools down south. I know for fact that many schools in central florida are not good academically (compared to others across the country). The midwest has some excellent schools and you get the warmer weather. Indiana has great schools and decent weather. Areas of TN have good schools (larger cities would be my educated guess). Wherever you decide to move, be prepared for a culture shock. There is nothing like living in the northeast, living elsewhere is vastly different (that is my take on it).

As others have heard me say in these forums, I've lived in 13 states and have met so many different people and seen so much. I know you don't want cold but I will say that by far Minnesotans are the nicest people in our country. When people learned we were new here we were always greeted with "welcome to Minnesota", we finally stopped telling people we were new because after four months of "welcome to Minnesota" we figured we'd been welcomed enough. It is a great state and so many oppportunities here...plus an outstanding academic record for our schools! And if we want to stay warm, we just hang out by the fireplace during the winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House