Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:42 PM

955 posts, read 3,647,647 times

Advertisements

Can I ask why you let the inside faucets drip? We live in the coldest of cold enviroments and I have never heard of that - if they are interior in a heated / insulated home they should be fine??? As noted the outside facets should have turn off valves - also make sure you blow out any sprinkler systems you have (underground) along with turning off the water - contact the city - they should be able to tell you how to turn off your water!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 02:59 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
Can I ask why you let the inside faucets drip? We live in the coldest of cold enviroments and I have never heard of that - if they are interior in a heated / insulated home they should be fine??? As noted the outside facets should have turn off valves - also make sure you blow out any sprinkler systems you have (underground) along with turning off the water - contact the city - they should be able to tell you how to turn off your water!
All that in a perfect world. Water below 32 degrees WILL freeze. I promise.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:03 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Can I ask why you let the inside faucets drip?
Water in motion, stays in motion!
In principle anyway.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:26 AM

well after living in a very cold climate for over 30 years I have never let a faucet drip and never had a problem - nor have any of my family members that live here - I actually never even hear of interior pipes freezing period - if you keep your home heated, why would they freeze inside if all of your pipes are inside?

Old 01-29-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
well after living in a very cold climate for over 30 years I have never let a faucet drip and never had a problem - nor have any of my family members that live here - I actually never even hear of interior pipes freezing period - if you keep your home heated, why would they freeze inside if all of your pipes are inside?
So, do you think are these posters are lying??? I sure hope you are not a social worker if you really do not understand this.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:04 AM

No don't mis-understand me - I just have never had the issue and am curious to be honest! WOW I guess I don't know why you would take that sort of attitude with me rather then just answering my question.. no need to be rude... I'm not doing any harm... just trying to understand about the interior pipes... forgive me... and WHAT in the world does being a social worker have to do with pipes?? I guess that was not covered in my masters program?

I understand the concept - espeically to outside faucets, but I guess I don't know about the interior if your home is fully heated and there are no exposed pipes - (which is what I am asking about).

For example I found this-

Regional Differences

Generally, houses in northern climates are built with the water pipes located on the inside of the building insulation, which protects the pipes from subfreezing weather. Water pipes in houses in southern climates often are more vulnerable to winter cold spells. The pipes are more likely to be located in unprotected areas outside of the building insulation, and homeowners tend to be less aware of freezing problems, which may occur only once or twice a season.

A dripping faucet wastes some water, so only pipes vulnerable to freezing (ones that run through an unheated or unprotected space) should be left with the water flowing.

Maybe that is why - I live in a northern climate where my home is well insulated and I have no unheated or unprotected space? Please do not bash me for just asking...

Last edited by BusySocialWorker; 01-29-2009 at 10:15 AM..

Old 01-29-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
No don't mis-understand me - I just have never had the issue and am curious to be honest! WOW I guess I don't know why you would take that sort of attitude with me rather then just answering my question.. no need to be rude... I'm not doing any harm... just trying to understand about the interior pipes... forgive me... and WHAT in the world does being a social worker have to do with pipes?? I guess that was not covered in my masters program?

I understand the concept - espeically to outside faucets, but I guess I don't know about the interior if your home is fully heated and there are no exposed pipes - (which is what I am asking about).

For example I found this-

Regional Differences

Generally, houses in northern climates are built with the water pipes located on the inside of the building insulation, which protects the pipes from subfreezing weather. Water pipes in houses in southern climates often are more vulnerable to winter cold spells. The pipes are more likely to be located in unprotected areas outside of the building insulation, and homeowners tend to be less aware of freezing problems, which may occur only once or twice a season.

A dripping faucet wastes some water, so only pipes vulnerable to freezing (ones that run through an unheated or unprotected space) should be left with the water flowing.

Maybe that is why - I live in a northern climate where my home is well insulated and I have no unheated or unprotected space? Please do not bash me for just asking...
Just saying...If you do not understand that some are not as fortunate as you, how can you help anyone?? Your pipes do not freeze, great!!! Other peoples do. Mine do from time to time. I live in an remodeled old farm house. All the pipes are NOT on inside walls, that is just the way it is. All people do not have or want city water. That means their whole system COULD freeze. The little bit letting it drip is pennies compared to the pipes breaking. Precautions have to be taken. I live in northern Michigan.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:08 AM

I understand Driller - I grew up without city water on a farm as well - believe me many in the area where I live are lucky to have indoor plumbing, period, and that is the very least of their concerns. You do not need to remind me that I am fortunate. I count my blessings daily.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I understand Driller - I grew up without city water on a farm as well - believe me many in the area where I live are lucky to have indoor plumbing, period, and that is the very least of their concerns. You do not need to remind me that I am fortunate. I count my blessings daily.
I would not want city water at all. That is not the problem. Any water below 32 degrees will freeze.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:14 AM

I understand - thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House