Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 02:41 PM

584 posts, read 2,140,286 times

Advertisements

Was going to put decor items above the kitchen cabinets on wall. Anyone have experience with this? Do they get really greasy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 02:43 PM

399 posts, read 703,054 times
They do get dusty like crazy. I have fake flowers up there and dare not take them down for the dust. No really, I've removed them so I can clean regularly there. It get's dusty like anywhere else and depending on how much you use grease that will fly too. Best of luck! JMO

Old 08-31-2012, 05:19 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,625,631 times
bg

I had a cat that knocked a dish we had displayed on top of a cabinet. Knocked it onto and cracked the glass top stove.

Be careful if you have a cat.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:09 PM

311 posts, read 632,446 times
When we remodeled the kitchen we added outlets above the cabinets that's controlled by a switch near the counter. We have a variety of light up ceramic pieces up there and can easily turn them on. We also ran a set of Christmas lights along the edge for lighting, the cord can't be seen from the ground. We did the Christmas lights during the holidays but ended up leaving them there.

It does get dusty and one of the cats has knocked pictures down from up there before.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:41 PM

491 posts, read 2,284,815 times
Dust, yes. Grease - should not get greasy if you have a good exhaust fan and use it when you cook.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:44 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,005,673 times
I have Sneakers Mother's glassware and my Grandmother's glassware above my kitchen cabinets and yes they do get very dirty however, we don't use them and take them all down at least once a month to clean them. That will be ending soon though because Sneakers is getting me clear plexiglass to put up around the glassware so protect from the dust and yuck. This way we can display glassware that means a lot to us as both his Mother and my Grandmother have crossed over, we are not left with wasted space and they are high enough to be protected from our cat who cannot get to those cabinet tops.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:06 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,424,023 times
I don't understand why many people don't build a kitchen that has the cabinets go all the way to the ceiling (with a soffit). Gives you much more storage space, (and the things you use rarely can go in the top shelves, and there is a thing called a step-stool to reach them).
Look at all the old houses that have cabinets (I have one from 1876, with 14' ceilings, and in the pantry the cabinets go all the way to to the top).
Having too much cabinet space is equivalent to the saying "too rich or too thin".

Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 AM

13,259 posts, read 22,690,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
bg

I had a cat that knocked a dish we had displayed on top of a cabinet. Knocked it onto and cracked the glass top stove.

Be careful if you have a cat.
That space is also designated elevated kitty racetrack for us. It seems to help to offer them something Up High as a substitute for actually hanging out on the kitchen counters.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:36 AM

5,640 posts, read 24,870,568 times
We keep some glass pieces on top of the cabinets. We clean and re-oil the cabinets once a year and clean the tops so the pieces all get cleaned up then... they pick up a little film up there.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,687,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Was going to put decor items above the kitchen cabinets on wall. Anyone have experience with this? Do they get really greasy?
Dusty. Crazy dusty. It's a pain to clean but only needs to be done once or twice a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I don't understand why many people don't build a kitchen that has the cabinets go all the way to the ceiling (with a soffit). Gives you much more storage space, (and the things you use rarely can go in the top shelves, and there is a thing called a step-stool to reach them).
Look at all the old houses that have cabinets (I have one from 1876, with 14' ceilings, and in the pantry the cabinets go all the way to to the top).
Having too much cabinet space is equivalent to the saying "too rich or too thin".
My house has 15' ceilings. I would not want cabinets going to the top. And no step-stool will reach the top shelf at 14'. I have tall cabinets, but there's no way I'd want that wall filled to the ceiling with cabinets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House