U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:06 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,208,948 times

Advertisements

My bathroom faucet was dripping. I had my handy Dad look at it over Christmas. It is a Delta faucet with the cartridge system. We called Delta and there is a lifetime warranty on the faucet so they sent a new cartridge. I installed the new spring and cartridge yesterday and now the the handle won't turn off the water (I have it turned off under the sink). Any guesses on what I missed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 10:18 AM

227 posts, read 676,657 times
What model Delta is it.

If it had a ball assembly, springs, and black washers you will need to remove the handle. Inside the cap there is a ring with slots, you will need to turn that clockwise to tighten down cam against ball assembly and springs. Just try above a 1/2 turn at a time. You will be able to test prior to installing the handle.

Last edited by ESPLUMBING; 01-18-2009 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: add text

Old 01-18-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPLUMBING View Post
What model Delta is it.

If it had a ball assembly, springs, and black washers you will need to remove the handle. Inside the cap there is a ring with slots, you will need to turn that clockwise to tighten down cam against ball assembly and springs. Just try above a 1/2 turn at a time. You will be able to test prior to installing the handle.
I don't know the exact model off hand but it is about 14 years old. The cartridge unit looks somewhat like a spark plug. It has a plastic ring around the middle that drops into the "hole" from the handle. The brass part that is attached to the sink itself has some notches to accept the cartridge. The cartridge is in that properly (the plastic tabs are in the notches). It has a brass fitting that goes over that to hold it in place. Is this what you are talking about?

Old 01-18-2009, 01:31 PM

3,020 posts, read 16,526,629 times
Default Is the hot and cold different

I know it sounds weird but some of those the hot and cold replacement cartridge is a different model number of part. They are not interchangeable and it will leak if you get the wrong one in the wrong side.

Did you check for that at the store? Lot of times it is even difficult to tell by looking at them. The display data sheet will list them as different parts.

Can drive you crazy because it seems you have done everything right.

I'm assuming you have a seperate handle for both hot and cold side. If you have it all combined in one, many times it doesn't work because you got the control ball in backwards. The lil holes in the ball have to point in a particular direction.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
I know it sounds weird but some of those the hot and cold replacement cartridge is a different model number of part. They are not interchangeable and it will leak if you get the wrong one in the wrong side.

Did you check for that at the store? Lot of times it is even difficult to tell by looking at them. The display data sheet will list them as different parts.

Can drive you crazy because it seems you have done everything right.

I'm assuming you have a seperate handle for both hot and cold side. If you have it all combined in one, many times it doesn't work because you got the control ball in backwards. The lil holes in the ball have to point in a particular direction.
Ok, I guess I need pictures--I figured it out. I put the rubber seat thing in first and the spring on top of it-I just switched that around and now it works--duh. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:39 PM

227 posts, read 676,657 times
After reading your last post, I see it is a two handle faucet. Glad to see you resolved your issue.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 31,722 times
Default hot water faucet running

My hot water bathroom faucet (hot and cold are seperate) will not turn off.
I cannot leave the house, worried about a flood. what is ithe simple solution?

Old 07-26-2009, 03:49 PM

3,020 posts, read 16,526,629 times
Default Take it apart..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotgdplumber View Post
My hot water bathroom faucet (hot and cold are seperate) will not turn off.
I cannot leave the house, worried about a flood. what is ithe simple solution?
Turn off the water, take it apart, see what might need to be replaced.

Huge variations in how they are built. In simple situations just the washer needs to be replaced. Others it is some type of cartridge or ball / seals that is washerless. In those cases in helps to take the old one with you to get a replacement, if you don't know the exact model. Just make sure that don't get lost or you can be so SOL.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:03 PM

27,215 posts, read 20,644,600 times
Default Is this the kit you got?

https://hdsupplysolutions.com/wcsstore/B2BDirectStorefrontAssetStore/product_images/ThdsMroUs/49/498212.jpg (broken link)

It only goes in one way. You'll notice tabs on the side of the plastic piece and on the ball it has a slot in the side which fits into the tab sticking out in the housing.

Edit: Never mind I see you figured it out. Good going. Just for the future if anyone else sees this thread plumbers grease makes the handle turn easier and it will help prolong the seals on single handle delta faucets.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

It only goes in one way. You'll notice tabs on the side of the plastic piece and on the ball it has a slot in the side which fits into the tab sticking out in the housing.

Edit: Never mind I see you figured it out. Good going. Just for the future if anyone else sees this thread plumbers grease makes the handle turn easier and it will help prolong the seals on single handle delta faucets.
No, the "kit" I got looked like a large spark plug, drop it in an forget it type deal--yes, I got the faucet fixed but thanks for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House