Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 01:29 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times

Advertisements

LOL!!! Been looking at houses w/ my parents for their near future move. OMY.

1. The agent was the owner and required a 2 hour notice of all showings. Okay, so they want some time to straighten up. NOT! Walked into a dungeon. Not a single blind, shutter or drape was open in that house. Coffee grounds all over the kitchen countertop and floor. Dirty dishes in the sink. No lights on anywhere in the house. Not a bed was made, home to 4 kids two of which were teens and those rooms were a pit, could not even see the floor. From the pics on the website the backyard looked nice and green. HA! That "green" was actually CONCRETE! They had poured concrete all over the entire backyard and painted it green . And the owner was THE AGENT.... yikes

2. House was being sold because of a divorce. He was still living there and the only furniture in the family room was the huge tv, a recliner and side table w/ the remote laying on it. LOL!!! Master bath & bed was a pit w/ dirty underwear laying all over.

3. Listing description said all updated. Updated kitchen w/ top of the line appliances. Fresh paint and carpet, etc. Sure, in 1985! It was a custom home w/ two master bedrooms and bathrooms and one small spare bedroom. Great backyard but the layout was HORRIBLE and the description was WAY OFF!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 09:55 AM

41,939 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Some bizarre stuff: A vacant home with an avocado green kitchen, where the refrigerator had been unplugged. Unfortunately, there was food still in it. This house also had standing water in the basement, pitted and cracked paneling, and a wall of mirror squares.

A 1950s-era split level had a purple bathroom, which was cool with me, but in spots the tiles had apparently cracked or fallen out, and were replaced with blue tiles. The bath vanity had been duct-taped together, and the kitchen sported scorch marks and soot on the walls above and to the sides of the wall oven.

Another house with a different color of paneling in every room (and tarantulas on the sunporch), and another with spray-on sparkly and iridescent stuff on the ceilings and walls.

A vacant house, where both the toilets were clogged.

The one we bought has several home-improvement projects gone wrong, several others unfinished, and instead of stripping and staining the woodwork when the owner refurbished the dining room, he applied stain over the existing paint.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:05 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,715,196 times
We are househunting ourselves and last weekend, we looked at a house that was just a complete nightmare. Now, I'm not picky by any means ... a shoe here, some papers there. I can see beyond, plus, I understand that people still live in the home (I wish that people who came to my house were as understanding), but the house we looked in, wow! We couldn't even get into the basment. It looked like the agent told her to clean up the clutter and she literally chucked everything down the basement stairs! The basement was HUGE and could have been easily organized. The house was less than 5 years old too. Then the upstairs bonus room was the same way! Things just chucked everywhere. It was sad and I flat out asked the agent if the seller was going through a divorce. She said YES!!! I could tell that someone who was depressed was selling.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:32 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,980,836 times
Default house hunting horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
We have been house hunting for a bit, and we have seen some crazy stuff. I'm interested in the weird things others have seen.
So whats the worst thing you have seen? The type of thing that makes you wonder "what were they thinking putting their house on the market like this?!"
My wife and I saw a house in a nice Western NY neighborhood which from the outside looked great. Once we went inside though, it was in major disrepair (bad floors, counters, carpets, cabinets, sinks/bathtubs etc). It looked like perhaps 30 years ago the place was awesome and used for hosting family gatherings - but it was so neglected we couldn't believe the owner didn't want to give any concessions or lower the price from what was essentially market value for a "good condition" home in its nice neighborhood.

The huge basement was formerly finished and was obviously awesome at one time with a huge wooden bar and pool table and extra bedroom and bathroom. Unbelievably though, the flooring was ripped up, walls and ceiling were coming down, and there was a huge crack in the foundation wall with water streaming in quickly... But that's not the worst of it.. the owners had created a little run-way for the water against the basement wall; a little "gutter" which led the water around two corners to the sump pump ... guided literally behind the walls of sheetrock (which were of course rotting)! It was as though they just said... oh well we have a natural spring here... let's just guide the water to where we want it rather than stop it by fixing the foundation crack. Nevermind home inspection or any real repair.

*sigh* it was sad because it was a very nice house at one time, but I guess the owner just didn't care to keep it up.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:14 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,580 times
I am househunting too. The worst I have seen so far is a house where all four people in it smoke. Apparently the house was last decorated around 2003. The lady selling the house must have recently removed a couple of toss cushions from a very nice chair and you could see the cushions outlines
(lol). There was also cat and dog hair everywhere (we're talking mounds folks) and the people work from their home so you can just imagine. It was advertised as "recently renovated".

Old 04-03-2007, 01:16 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,862,680 times
paint......spilled in the garage followed by little foot prints all the way up to the upstairs. Apparantly the little kid had messed with the paint and got it all over the place. The owner told me it could be easily cleaned. Did I mention it seemed like the paint had been there for weeks?

Old 04-03-2007, 09:57 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,008 times
I was bit by a "free range" gerbil once whilst house-hunting.

True story!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:02 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,211 times
We are currenetly house hunting. Last month we looked at a house while the owners were home. While looking at the basement we found a door. When we opened it we found an apartment with a man in his boxers! Nice of the homeowner to tell us. Even the real estate agent didn't know!

Old 04-06-2007, 11:26 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,794,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
LOL!!! Been looking at houses w/ my parents for their near future move. OMY.

1. The agent was the owner and required a 2 hour notice of all showings. Okay, so they want some time to straighten up. NOT! Walked into a dungeon. Not a single blind, shutter or drape was open in that house. Coffee grounds all over the kitchen countertop and floor. Dirty dishes in the sink. No lights on anywhere in the house. Not a bed was made, home to 4 kids two of which were teens and those rooms were a pit, could not even see the floor. From the pics on the website the backyard looked nice and green. HA! That "green" was actually CONCRETE! They had poured concrete all over the entire backyard and painted it green . And the owner was THE AGENT.... yikes!
This house wasn't in St. Louis was it? We had a house in the city that was like that. Green concrete grass.. How tacky!

Old 04-07-2007, 11:14 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,715,196 times
How about house showing nightmares! We've had 4 showings in 6 days (not bad for the first week) and our second showing were these older ladies who should not have been even looking at our house (we live in a subdivision full of young couples and little kids ... our house in on a cul de sac aka neighborhood playground). Their comment was that our house looked "worn" and "not sharp". Well duh! If we manage to sell, our home will have had 7 children living in it. It's not dull btw .. fresh paint, carpeting and hardwood flooring ... puhhhhleaaase!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House