Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 09:36 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,292,781 times

Advertisements

I am renting a house that has a Heritage above-ground pool with a porthole, about 12x36 or maybe even 12x42. It's not been kept up so I'd like to drain it, clean it, and refill it... but I can't find anyone that knows if it has a drain! Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,850,967 times
You can always use a long hose, suck the first slug of water out of it (like syphon the gas out of tank) and it will all drain out.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:41 AM

23,510 posts, read 69,890,838 times
This should be in the house forum, but I'll state up front that draining, cleaning, and refilling a pool is generally NOT the best course of action. Pool water has a bunch of chemicals in it to buffer it and help it. Draining one onto the ground often kills the vegetation in the area - even if the pool water is green with algae! When the water is replaced, those chemicals have to be replaced before the system will start to stabilize and not chew through chlorine.

A more conservative approach is to balance the pH to a slightly acid level, then super-shock the pool, add a flocculant, scrub the walls and floor of the pool, agitate with the pool pump for half a day, allow the dead algae to settle at the bottom of the pool for a couple of days, and then gently vacuum the bottom of the pool to remove it. If the pool is above ground, the siphon trick, leading to a storm drain or graveled area will provide the suction without the stirring action of the pool pump. If you do this right, the water will be crystal clear, yet still have the important buffering chemicals.

You'll save both time and money working this way. FWIW, I wouldn't bother doing this until spring. You'll just be spending time and money on power and chemicals without any real benefit until then.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:29 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,292,781 times
Great advice as always Chick!

Old 05-01-2011, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,348 times
Wink drain nasty pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I am renting a house that has a Heritage above-ground pool with a porthole, about 12x36 or maybe even 12x42. It's not been kept up so I'd like to drain it, clean it, and refill it... but I can't find anyone that knows if it has a drain! Anyone?
>>>>>> they have a small drain on the bottom of the pool ..you can see the screw top from the outside of the pool.. but will have to get inside the pool when most of the water drains and clean the nasty stuff out.. w/ old towels and etc.. then close the drain and refill w/clean water.. hope that helped.. Joan

Old 05-01-2011, 01:21 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,853,077 times
Here are some questions and answers regarding your specific pool on the Walmart site.
Walmart Heritage Heritage Vinyl Blue Port Hole 12' x 36" Liner : Questions, Answers, How To, FAQs, Tips, Advice, Answers, Buying Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House