Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 08:11 AM

304 posts, read 1,430,740 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Our house we purchased last year is way overdue for new carpeting...it is 21 years old and has the original carpeting!

Anyway, I really like the look of frieze carpeting, but I was wondering if anyone here has this type of carpeting in their home and if they have found pros/cons with it. Does it seem to wear well? Is it easy to clean?

We have 3 young boys so there is a lot of foot traffic here! No food is allowed outside the kitchen, but there is always the possibility of a spill or mess to occur by accident.

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 11:54 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times
We have it and are really satisfied with it. It's holding up well even in the high-traffic areas. It's very easy to clean, also. The brand we got was Mohawk.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:00 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,612,649 times
Hi

We have frieze carpeting just in our family room. I think it looks pretty sharp in there. Not sure I'd want it all over the entire house though.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:46 PM

345 posts, read 203,583 times
My entire family has allergies. I learned a long time ago that carpet is the nastiest convention man ever created for living. Buy tile and throw rugs if you have to have something. If you have ever lived on vinyl and used a mop at the end of the week, I don't care how clean you are, take a look at the water. That is what is in that carpet from week one. A vacuum doesn't take it out. In one year,you are living in dust mites and filth. Now if you don't believe me, take a gander atthe floor when you pull that 21 year old carpet. For the sake of those kids, pull it up fast and paint the floors if nothing else. Does any of them have the sniffles constantly or scratch a lot?

Old 03-18-2007, 09:04 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,132 times
The Frieze carpet is nice. A friend of mine rents several houses and this is the carpet of choice in his houses. He says it wears very well with kids and pets.

But I'm one of those people that likes bare wood floors. My entire family has allergies and carpet is such a dust/mite and 'everything else' collector.
If you pull the carpet up yourself I highly suggest a dust mask.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:38 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Default frieze

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefs fan View Post
Hi,

Our house we purchased last year is way overdue for new carpeting...it is 21 years old and has the original carpeting!

Anyway, I really like the look of frieze carpeting, but I was wondering if anyone here has this type of carpeting in their home and if they have found pros/cons with it. Does it seem to wear well? Is it easy to clean?

We have 3 young boys so there is a lot of foot traffic here! No food is allowed outside the kitchen, but there is always the possibility of a spill or mess to occur by accident.

Thanks for any advice!
we just got frieze carpet in our family room about 4 months ago. 2 young boys here so wear was a major criteria here too. love it so far, seems to be wearing well. we made sure it was a type that could withstand traffic.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:35 AM

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

I understand about concerns with carpet in general. We have already replaced a portion of the carpet that was in the breakfast nook with laminate flooring (that looks like slate tile), and the padding under the carpet had practically disintigrated to powder! Fortunately our kids don't seem to suffer from allergies (knock on wood).

I have certainly considered installing hardwoods throughout the first floor, but we have dark stained woodwork and I think wood floors would darken the rooms even more...which is something we are already trying to remedy. We have a hardwood entry and it looks like a dungeon in there. I know I could go with lighter stained wood floors, but then I would feel compelled to change the woodwork...something which I don't have time for right now! So, carpet isn't my first choice, but I think it is the best option for us right now.

Heather and Tahiti: what brand of frieze do you have?

Old 03-20-2007, 08:46 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I put a nice fat frieze from Shaw in the house I just sold. It had the Softbac, which is nicer under your foot, even after installation. I went with a chocolate brown. No kids in my house but I do have a dog, 2 cats, and a husband none of whom are inclined to wipe their feet before they come in the house.

The only drawback I found with that carpet was that it took FOREVER to find an earing when it got dropped.......

Old 08-04-2007, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 17,947 times
Default Considering carpet too

We live in Hawaii and are replacing our carpet too. Found a Lowe's brand Frieze we like the looks and feel of. The style name is "Charlotte" and I am wondering if anyone out there has experience with this particular brand and style. We live at a higher elevation (1700') and even our summer evenings are quite cool. Carpet is our definite choice but we are still trying to decide whether to go with this one or a shorter length strand. Aloha! D

Old 08-04-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deidre Robbins View Post
We live in Hawaii and are replacing our carpet too. Found a Lowe's brand Frieze we like the looks and feel of. The style name is "Charlotte" and I am wondering if anyone out there has experience with this particular brand and style. We live at a higher elevation (1700') and even our summer evenings are quite cool. Carpet is our definite choice but we are still trying to decide whether to go with this one or a shorter length strand. Aloha! D
Deidre,

We ended up going with a frieze carpet for our family room; we have had it for about 2 months now and are pleased with it so far. We did get it from Lowe's, but it is Mohawk brand. We went with the upgraded carpet pad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House