Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:55 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
I didn't say plastic pipes/water lines have been around for hundreds of years. I said plastics will be around for hundreds of years, ya know, water bottles etc.? because they don't deteriorate like metals do.

And PEX has been around for 35+ years (in Europe) and PVC 50+ years.

And all plastics used for water lines are rated NSF Standard 61 for use with potable water, so no, they don't leach whatever some gossip artist said they probably do or can.
Plastic pipes won't last for hundred of years. Hell, the house that it's in won't last that long. You also mentioned that you had copper pipe that had pin-hole leaks after 3 years. If that's the case, it wasn't put in right or it was connected directly to gavanized steel pipe. If it's done right, it will last for 50 years or longer. Plastic pipe doesn't have that track record and we'll never know for sure until it's been around that long.

PEX and other plastics may have been around for a while but many building departments haven't allowed it to be used until recently (a decade or so) and there are some areas that don't allow it to be used.

And yes, plastics can leach chemicals into the water. Plastic (Not) Fantastic: Food Containers Leach a Potentially Harmful Chemical: Scientific American OK, I know this is a different type of plastic, but the chemicals used in plastic can leach out. Running hot water through plastic accelerates the leaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 01:47 PM

286 posts, read 1,481,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Plastic pipes won't last for hundred of years. Hell, the house that it's in won't last that long. You also mentioned that you had copper pipe that had pin-hole leaks after 3 years. If that's the case, it wasn't put in right or it was connected directly to gavanized steel pipe. If it's done right, it will last for 50 years or longer. Plastic pipe doesn't have that track record and we'll never know for sure until it's been around that long.
You're right copper or plastic, the house won't last that long.

Actually you must not know how water quality and other things besides galvanic action attacks copper tubing water lines but how could it be put in wrong to cause pin holes except too much flux?

BTW, flux and improper reaming of tubing ends are the two primary causes of pin hole leaks.

It was a new house with only copper, no galvanized. It was owned by an attorney and he called me in to help find the cause(s). That was after 3 large expensive leaks over 6 months in the dining room (2 leaks) and the kitchen (1 between the other two) ceilings and multiple plumbers looking at it with no ideas of what was wrong.

I told him of all the possible causes; high DO, CO2 content, bacteria of various types, electrical grounds on the tubing or a bad ground electrode on the building, or a bad or no ground on the water heater and low pH acidic water which he had, etc. etc.. He didn't believe me on many of those causes and after an electrician checked everything electrical and added another ground rod and found no problems we parted ways but...

No, not all copper lasts problem free or without pin hole leaks for 50 years. You don't have to believe me but you can look it up real easy with Google for "pin holes" + "copper tubing" typed exactly that "...." way. Or Click on (BTW 990 hits)
"pin holes" + "copper tubing" - Google Search

Quote:
PEX and other plastics may have been around for a while but many building departments haven't allowed it to be used until recently (a decade or so) and there are some areas that don't allow it to be used.
That is due to the politics behind plumbing codes.

Quote:
And yes, plastics can leach chemicals into the water. Plastic (Not) Fantastic: Food Containers Leach a Potentially Harmful Chemical: Scientific American OK, I know this is a different type of plastic, but the chemicals used in plastic can leach out. Running hot water through plastic accelerates the leaching.
LOL you're right again on both counts but remember, NSF Standard 61 says PEX, PVC and CPVC water lines do not, and PEX and CPVC are both approved and used on both hot and cold while PVC is cold only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House