U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-08-2009, 06:48 PM

162 posts, read 404,754 times

Advertisements

Are plastic pipes bad? Saw a home we liked but never heard of plastic pipes before..any dangers or concerns we should be aware of? Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 07:40 PM

671 posts, read 1,741,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Disneyfans View Post
Are plastic pipes bad? Saw a home we liked but never heard of plastic pipes before..any dangers or concerns we should be aware of? Thanks
depends on the plastic . Polybutylene ( Polybutylene Plumbing - What is Polybutylene?) is not good. My house was built in 94 and I just started having problems last year 3 leaks in the crawl space at $200+ a time . I'm just going thru the class action process to replace . The options are copper - expensive or pex (the new polybutelene) which some people say will need replacing in the future.

If you'r going to get it replaced do so before you move in , takes about a week .

Old 02-08-2009, 07:40 PM

3,460 posts, read 6,436,608 times
Do you mean polybutylene?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:34 PM

3,535 posts, read 6,038,270 times
Poly...not near as bad as plumbing companies and lawyers make it out to be. Usually the problems are from the early era between 1978 and the late 80's. Typically on newer installs, like Steve's, it is due to a J-Hook breaking letting the plumbing hand freely. This lets it act like a hose with the water turned on, and noone holding it. There are exceptions of course, but most poly after 1990 is not very problematic.
PEX is nothing like poly aside from being flexible. It is extremely durable and can expand to twice its size without bursting.

What year is the house?

The bottom line is; all plumbing can be problematic, but I would rank PEX above anything. I have seen only a small handful of problems with it in the 13 years it has been out here, and they were flukes.
1996 was more or less the last year for Poly.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:06 AM

162 posts, read 404,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
What year is the house?
I just checked & the house was built in 2000. (I have clothes older than that!)

Old 02-09-2009, 06:48 AM

446 posts, read 939,270 times
Are polly pipes gray? My house was built in 1996 and has white pipes with copper connections wherever a turn junction is. Wondering if I will be headed for problems as well.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:50 AM

19,701 posts, read 31,516,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis View Post
Are polly pipes gray? My house was built in 1996 and has white pipes with copper connections wherever a turn junction is. Wondering if I will be headed for problems as well.
Yes, polybutylene is gray-blue.

Your white pipes sound like PEX to me.
Maybe your home was replumbed before you bought it?

Old 02-09-2009, 06:57 AM

446 posts, read 939,270 times
I sure hope so Mike....I know my house was built towards the end of the poly days so maybe it was replaced. We are the second owners and bought in 2003. The inspector didn't mark anything about it.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:00 AM

19,701 posts, read 31,516,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis View Post
I sure hope so Mike....I know my house was built towards the end of the poly days so maybe it was replaced. We are the second owners and bought in 2003. The inspector didn't mark anything about it.
I know you have a camera or two around.
Shoot a few pixels and post 'em, for a full diagnosis...

I have seen poly with enough paint overspray on it to make me think it was something else at first.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:20 AM

635 posts, read 1,878,355 times
Looks like this has been mostly covered by the prior posts, but the major claim against poly piping is in regard to the fittings. The earlier installations utilized plastic fittings between the pipe sections, and these would fail for a variety of reasons. Most of the later installations with the metal fittings held up, although there are also some issues where crimping wasn't done well.

The new PEX solutions so far seem to be good.

As mentioned poly is always blue-gray in color, and PEX can be anything from white, red, blue, etc. You should be able to see the material type clearly printed on the tubing as well.

If you have PEX installed, I wouldn't be concerned.

We have an old home and I would have liked to have installed copper, but the costs were just too high. Many plumbers just don't want to work with it anymore. And actually, especially in a retrofit, PEX makes things so much better as it is less intrusive as it can be bent around obstacles, etc. Plus as mentioned, PEX will expand(to a point) when under stress such as freezing, where copper will fail.

Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House