U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,042 times

Advertisements

I have a question. Can you contact your local gas company and have them remove gas lines leading to your home if you don't want anything to do with natural gas and you are the sole owner of that property? Please email me with answers at [email]ronnie_schrecengost@yahoo.com[/email]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 11:59 AM

80 posts, read 111,868 times
The gas company has an easement for those pipe. They can do what they want on your property.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:57 AM

4,561 posts, read 22,632,345 times
The gas company only has control over the piping that comes to the meter. They do not have control over the piping AFTER the meter (except to shut off the meter if they detect leaks).

The short answer is the gas company will come out and remove the meter and cap / lock the service pipe if you choose to terminate service. However, they will not remove any pipes that go into your house after the meter.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:17 AM

80 posts, read 111,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
The gas company only has control over the piping that comes to the meter. They do not have control over the piping AFTER the meter (except to shut off the meter if they detect leaks).
Actually, they generally own all the pipe (including after the meter) up to the last 90 in the line, right before entering the house.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:04 PM

15,208 posts, read 11,097,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttimes1 View Post
Actually, they generally own all the pipe (including after the meter) up to the last 90 in the line, right before entering the house.
My experience is the gas company will not do any work past the meter. You have to have a certified plumber for installation inside the house.
You pay the plumber....you own the pipe....

Old 02-13-2015, 06:57 PM

621 posts, read 859,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
They do not have control over the piping AFTER the meter (except to shut off the meter if they detect leaks).
That's kind of a grey area from discussions I've read. Condemning a gas fired appliance not fit for operation and disconnecting/capping off, from what I've read, is allowed by the AHJ or utility company, but not a contractor. Fine print legalize that is routinely ignored.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:09 PM

15,208 posts, read 11,097,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
That's kind of a grey area from discussions I've read. Condemning a gas fired appliance not fit for operation and disconnecting/capping off, from what I've read, is allowed by the AHJ or utility company, but not a contractor. Fine print legalize that is routinely ignored.
The utility company WILL "pin" the meter if there is leak.....

Old 02-13-2015, 08:40 PM

621 posts, read 859,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
The utility company WILL "pin" the meter if there is leak.....
I'm not arguing the matter of how eager utility companies to disconnect. My point was that contractors in some locations don't have the authority to simply disconnect/cap a w/h or furnace that is kaput.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:59 PM

22,165 posts, read 25,371,892 times
Underground gas pipe needs to be wrapped in a special tape.
You never loosen gas pipe you always tighten.
I don't know the code for depth to bury gas line.
Shut it off at the street/meter
Don't smoke

Old 07-06-2015, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,645 times
When connecting natural gas from a house to your BBQ grill can you use standard Teflon tape or does code require YELLOW Teflon tape? If yellow Teflon tape is required can you tell me what code is used? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House