U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-13-2009, 01:44 PM

11,490 posts, read 25,992,256 times
We find it to be fine. DW has a bit of "princess and the pea" sensitivity, and found that after a couple of years the regular mattresses were not supporting as well. We started with plywood between the mattress and box springs, went through another expensive mattress, and decided to try the foam. I don't hear the complaints that I used to. One of the reasons we tried the foam was we had a custom couch made that was designed so we could both lie down to watch tv if we were so inclined. Both of us could fall asleep on that and wake up feeling refreshed. The key is to find the correct foam density. Cheap foam isn't dense and will sag. Foam that is too thin will have you bottoming out on the platform. Any slits or breaking to the mattress into pads will destroy the integrity of the surface and cause a pocket that you slide into. We discovered this while van camping using pads.

Everyone is different though, and the only way to tell is to try for at least a month. I would scream if I had to sleep on a tempurpedic foam. Can't stand the way that stuff feels.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 02:13 PM

618 posts, read 2,169,845 times
Costco - Up to $400 OFF Ara Memory Foam Mattress Collection

^^^This is the one we're looking to get from Costco. They deliver it to the house and we can't really "test" it beforehand.Not bad for $999 King size or $1299 w/platform. It's 13 inches thick with a few different density layers of foam. It comes with an optional platform, if ours wasn't going to work. I think we have the option to return it if not satisfied. I really hope we don't need to do that.

Well, our pillowtop which we loved for the first 6-12 months, has grown 2 big indentations in it. I'm hoping the foam bed will be a better experience.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:44 PM

4,684 posts, read 7,283,306 times
My sons bed is a foam mattress that sits on top of wooden slats. The slats do function as a source of ventilation, but not neccesarily it's primary function.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:08 PM

43,862 posts, read 26,699,854 times
Short of it getting a little hot while laying on it, people used foam mattresses in campers for years. I never heard of any moisture problem and I live in a state where moisture actually IS a problem. If it did pick up any dampness, you could always air dry it outside or use a hair dryer blower.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:13 PM

8,310 posts, read 21,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
I have a platform made of either plywood or particle board. Not sure which, really. It is covered by some kind of laminate, such as the less expensive counter tops are covered with. I'm thinking of buying a foam mattress to place on top of this platform, but I've heard that the foam can't be placed directly on top of wood because of moisture issues.

I've read one account where the foam mattress was placed on a wood floor and it damaged the floor because of the moisture.

Has anyone here placed their foam mattress on a flat/non air circulating platform? I had the platform custom made with drawers underneath. If I could keep it, I probably would.
I have serious, serious doubts that you will have any problems whatsoever from placing a foam matress on a laminated plywood or OSB platform. Serious, serious doubts.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Status: "Fall leaves, apple cider, YIPEE!" (set 7 days ago)

996 posts, read 2,743,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I do love my 100% foam pillow. I could not put my head on anything else, but how does a foam mattress support your back???? Especially if you have a bad back?
Those memory foam mattresses REALLY DO WORK!

My DH researched it and decided tempur pedic mattress was the next great thing. I was skeptical because unlike my DH, I have a bad back.

We couldn't agree on the mattress issue so our solution was he get a twin size tempur pedic and I would get a twin size quality mattress and we would just push the 2 together.

7 years later, I am sleeping on the tempur pedic when my back hurts too bad and he feels sorry for me and switches. Right now, he is suffering because he is on the other mattress which one of the pillowtop mattresses.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:01 PM

3,988 posts, read 8,358,869 times
I used a foam pads for years.

On the floor it would collect moisture under it. If the floor had not been vinyl tile it would have molded and been damaged.
On a raised platform there was no moisture under the pad.

In my cab-over camper, especially in cold weather, moisture collected under the pad.
This was due to condensation caused by temperature differences.
Insulating the surface that the pad set on cured the problem.

The same principle may have been involved with the pad directly on the floor as it was a raised foundation with a crawl space and very little or no floor insulation, but when it was on the raised platform, all surfaces were at room temperature so no condensation took place.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:11 PM

618 posts, read 2,169,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

On the floor it would collect moisture under it. If the floor had not been vinyl tile it would have molded and been damaged.

AHA!! This must be what I've read about from another person in a review.

I'm glad to hear the rest of your reply about it being raised and room temp etc.. This is what mine would be. I guess it might have been on a floor right over a crawl or something to make the mold/moisture conditions. I tried looking for that very review but can no longer find it.

I still feel safe(r) with all the replies posted here. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:47 PM

21,636 posts, read 25,212,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
Those memory foam mattresses REALLY DO WORK!

My DH researched it and decided tempur pedic mattress was the next great thing. I was skeptical because unlike my DH, I have a bad back.

We couldn't agree on the mattress issue so our solution was he get a twin size tempur pedic and I would get a twin size quality mattress and we would just push the 2 together.

7 years later, I am sleeping on the tempur pedic when my back hurts too bad and he feels sorry for me and switches. Right now, he is suffering because he is on the other mattress which one of the pillowtop mattresses.
LOL and I agree. Tempur Pedic mattresses (and that's a brand name and there are plenty of equally good and less expensive variations available) are infinitely superior to regular foam. The concept was originally developed by NASA for the comfort of personnel on space missions.

It's probable that the reference the OP posted used JUST a foam pad with no covering and never moved the damned thing. If that nasty thing lay on a varnished wooden floor for a long time it's not unlikely that the plain foam broke down over time and basically got stuck to the floor. Yuk!

You'll have no problem using a foam mattress on a platform bed but I'd suggest getting a tempur pedic or similar which has a cover on it for best results and most comfortable sleeping. I "flip" mine every week and it's very light so that's no problem even for my rather aged body. Cheers!

Old 02-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Status: "Fall leaves, apple cider, YIPEE!" (set 7 days ago)

996 posts, read 2,743,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I "flip" mine every week and it's very light so that's no problem even for my rather aged body. Cheers!

Now here is where I have to disagree. Our tempur pedic mattress is very heavy, or cumbersome to move let alone flip. I guess because it is maleable.... I can only manage to grip a handful of foam on the corner that is rapidly moving, changing shape (like morphine) and the best I can do is heave the mattress over, falling ontop of it awkardly. I ablsolutely hate to have to move it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House