U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:50 AM

2,919 posts, read 7,319,036 times

Advertisements

Just bought a new dresser from the store last week and it smells to high heaven. Not so much inside the drawers as from the finish. Kind of smells strongly like wet dogs. I wouldn't say it's a glue smell as I'm sensitive to the new glues (carpet, wall, etc). It's a nice piece of furniture otherwise. I tried scented furniture polish and opening doors to the outside to air the place out. What can I do to dissapate the fumes so I can stand sleeping in the same room? And how long will it last?

I've always had older antiques to date and never had to deal with this problem before. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 12:04 PM

170 posts, read 296,384 times
Formaldehyde maybe? Is it laminate or hardwood?
I would call the store you bought it from, they may have had similar complaints and could give advice.

Is it giving you a headache or anything?

Old 02-16-2009, 12:43 PM

2,919 posts, read 7,319,036 times
I don't think it's formaldehyde, at least not as I've smelled in the hospital. I took out the flyer and it's made of hardwood solids and cherry veneers (Louis Phillipe Collection). I've had furniture custom made from solid cherry wood before and know that can sometimes be irritating though those pieces didn't smell quite the same as this either.

No headaches or other symptoms. Well now that you mention it it may be giving me a scratchy throat. It's just not a pleasant smell that I wish to go away. The guy at the place we bought it is a total wierdo and I doubt would have any suggestions.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 02-16-2009 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-16-2009, 02:47 PM

12,126 posts, read 14,261,641 times
Could be off-gassing from the veneer glue...

Old 02-16-2009, 02:58 PM

2,480 posts, read 3,023,732 times
How about charcoal or crinkled up black & white newspaper.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:20 PM

8,827 posts, read 23,258,677 times
If you don't have to use it right away, maybe put it in the garage or similar for a couple of weeks and see if it will finish outgassing there.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:52 PM

43,861 posts, read 27,772,927 times
Maybe it was stored someplace where there were dogs security dogs around and one could have peed on the box or the furniture itself. I figure if rat poop can get in the peanut butter.....anything is possible. I have no idea what you could do to fix it. Maybe return it for another item.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:00 PM

17,217 posts, read 20,217,975 times
I've heard that ground coffee placed in the drawers will absorb bad odors. I feel for you, I bought a rattan set of furniture for my 3 season room and the shelf unit smells like BO. I have a chair out there from Pier One that stinks too. At least they're where there is good air circulation.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:42 PM

11,758 posts, read 27,341,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Just bought a new dresser from the store last week and it smells to high heaven. Not so much inside the drawers as from the finish. Kind of smells strongly like wet dogs. I wouldn't say it's a glue smell as I'm sensitive to the new glues (carpet, wall, etc). It's a nice piece of furniture otherwise. I tried scented furniture polish and opening doors to the outside to air the place out. What can I do to dissapate the fumes so I can stand sleeping in the same room? And how long will it last?

I've always had older antiques to date and never had to deal with this problem before. Thanks
I'd ask for an exchange or refund. That is unacceptable.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:55 PM

3,362 posts, read 10,448,398 times
Was it in a flooded area, like Katrina or Ike? It may be mold or mildew in the cracks a crevices. I heard of people getting furniture that looked new, was new but had been in a flood area. You may not be able to get rid of the smell. Return it and buy somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House