Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:28 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I don't know if any one has installed a fence to give advice, if so, how did you choose the style? I'm buying a ranch, that looks more like a cape than the traditional ranch, and I'm not sure what style of fence to pick. The front of the home has a lot of stone. A stone wall in one of the driveways, stone retaining wall in the front, etc. I don't want stone around whole yard because I'd like a privacy fence and stone would be a lot of work and I don't like stone walls that are very high. I'd like to pick something that would blend or match nicely.

Also, have you installed your own fence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 02:21 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,299,067 times
I have installed fences before. But I hired it out on my current house.

I chose a wood picket type fence, mostly to match what my neighbor had on one side. In the back of my property, in the wood, I used green vinyl coated chain link, since I didn't want to see a fence from my house (looking into the woods), and because it was in the wood, no one else could see it was chain link.

If I were to do it again. I would choose a metal fence of some type and style. 1. My dogs decided to chew on the pickets, and I had replaced over 400 before I ran an electrical wire on top, shocked them ONCE, and they stopped.
2. Now several years later, the wood is very worn and I see signs of termites in some of the posts.
3. Because we get so much rain here, the fence gets a mossy look to it.
4. The gates don't operate as well, because the posts get loose in the ground and have moved slightly.

I would probably install metal posts and build brick columns around them and have metal fence sections. My house has brick in the front. If it was stone, then I would probably use stone.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I have installed fences before. But I hired it out on my current house.

I chose a wood picket type fence, mostly to match what my neighbor had on one side. In the back of my property, in the wood, I used green vinyl coated chain link, since I didn't want to see a fence from my house (looking into the woods), and because it was in the wood, no one else could see it was chain link.

If I were to do it again. I would choose a metal fence of some type and style. 1. My dogs decided to chew on the pickets, and I had replaced over 400 before I ran an electrical wire on top, shocked them ONCE, and they stopped.
2. Now several years later, the wood is very worn and I see signs of termites in some of the posts.
3. Because we get so much rain here, the fence gets a mossy look to it.
4. The gates don't operate as well, because the posts get loose in the ground and have moved slightly.

I would probably install metal posts and build brick columns around them and have metal fence sections. My house has brick in the front. If it was stone, then I would probably use stone.
Thank you. This is a great response. Excellent point about possible issues with wood. What do you think about vinyl or composite fences? Combining the stone with the fence is a really good idea.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:57 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,299,067 times
I like a lot of the non-wood fence materials. But because of my "girls", I would go with metal, but that's only for the non-chewability factor.
Attached Thumbnails
Choosing and installing a fence-girls.jpg  

Old 03-01-2009, 08:36 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,261 times
I'll be building a new fence when we get moved. I'm personally going with 5' chain link in the back and 4' in the front. I'd rather have a nice picket or victorian fence but I'll be planting flowers around a good portion of the fence so it will blend and I will have next to 0 upkeep on the chainlink and that will make me happy. I've decided I have a lot of other things to do besides worry about fence repair. We have had to dela with rotting wood fence for a while now and when I get older that's not somehting I want to do. I liked the looks of vinyl fencing but I have seen more than a couple with broken places of fence so I doubt it's durability and with the vic metal I would have rust and painting upkeep.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I like a lot of the non-wood fence materials. But because of my "girls", I would go with metal, but that's only for the non-chewability factor.
They're beautiful! Would they chew on composite too? I don't have a dog, so I wouldn't know. The property I'm buying has 0.6 acre so I may, at some point, adopt a small/med size pooch or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I'll be building a new fence when we get moved. I'm personally going with 5' chain link in the back and 4' in the front. I'd rather have a nice picket or victorian fence but I'll be planting flowers around a good portion of the fence so it will blend and I will have next to 0 upkeep on the chainlink and that will make me happy. I've decided I have a lot of other things to do besides worry about fence repair. We have had to dela with rotting wood fence for a while now and when I get older that's not somehting I want to do. I liked the looks of vinyl fencing but I have seen more than a couple with broken places of fence so I doubt it's durability and with the vic metal I would have rust and painting upkeep.
I'll check out what chain link fences look like. I'm not terribly concerned with upkeep as far as painting or staining goes, but rotting wood is not something I would want to deal with.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:49 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,261 times
What about something like this?

Vinyl Decorative Rock Columns - Hoover Fence Co.

It could be done with real rock also.

If the link doesn't post it's hooverfence and the fence is vinyl columns

Last edited by misplaced1; 03-01-2009 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: poor typing skills

Old 03-01-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
What about something like this?

Vinyl Decorative Rock Columns - Hoover Fence Co.

It could be done with real rock also.

If the link doesn't post it's hooverfence and the fence is vinyl columns
Thanks for the link and the idea! As I mentioned, we have quite a bit of stone in the front of the house and I was trying to figure out how to incorporate that into a fence. This is very helpful. The fence I will get will be a privacy fence, with similar columns.

Also, the stone in the front looks like it's going to need some fixing up. I also can't tell if it was a DIY (perhaps poorly done) or just in need of repair. It's definately alittle odd.

Here I colored out my agent lol. But this stone is all around.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:04 PM

604 posts, read 4,621,542 times
dh and I installed white vinyl 6' panel fence (about 300') ourselves. HOA mandates this type of fencing only. We did a few panels each day for a couple of weekends. Installation was tedious but not very difficult. Saved thousands of dollars by doing ourselves. Purchased from Lowes and had several pallets of materials/concrete delivered for $75 (well worth it).

Old 03-03-2009, 02:40 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
We put in a wood fence a few years ago. It consists of 4x4 posts, 2x4s and 1x6 fence boards, all pressure treated. Total length of the fence is about 130 feet. We installed it over one weekend with myself and three sons, not including prep work. The prep work consisted of determining property lines and pre-digging all fence post holes. The good thing about it was everyone didn't have to wait around while one person dug the next hole. The bad thing about it was that not all holes were in the right place. That wasn't that bad because it didn't take much to widen the hole.

The process involved finishing off the hole to get the right height, placing gravel in the bottom, then a little soil, tapping it down, then two bags of concrete and finishing off with soil. After the second post was in, the cross braces were nailed in. This was repeated until the end. End posts and corners received 3-4 bags of concrete for extra support. We let this sit overnight.

The next day, we put on the 1x6 boards, cutting them to match the uneven ground. The area was sloped so we stair-stepped it down with each new section about 6-8 inches lower the the previous one. Definitely order extra because even though we did this, we ended up using every board.

We live in a wet climate so the only problem we've have is that green algae is growing on the fence. It needs to be power washed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House