Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:23 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,281,693 times

Advertisements

After Hurricane Ike I had my fence replaced -- one side at a time. The wood on the side fences is fine but the wood on the back fence started warping almost from day one. Some tops of the boards turn inward and others turn outward. The fence installer comes out regularly to repair them (by re-nailing the tops, I think) but they just warp again.

I asked him what could be causing this and he said it might have been a bad load of wood. Could that be true? If so, what's my recourse? The fence is less than six months old and, the way things are going, the upkeep will be so tedious that I may end up replacing the entire back side.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 03:38 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,483,446 times
The new treat wood fencing I have noticed is coming from mill much wetter than the old. I think that the wood needs to be stacked properly so as to dry out before making the fence.Even then they must be support right to not warp as bad ;person I like three horizonal supports with the top and bootm not to far from the end of the fencing.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:44 PM

Thanks, texdav. Is this something the fence installer (who is also my yardman -- he owns a landscaping service company) should have done? He did put an additional support board across the top of the fence last week, but that will only prevent the warping in that direction. Two more boards have already started warping in the opposite direction.

The support boards are the same one all three fences (back and sides) so I doubt that's the problem.

I dont want to cause my yardman any more trouble and inconvenience if this is something that was out of his control. But I also hate the idea of paying to have a new fence put up if he should have dried it out more properly before installing the fence.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:32 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,184,090 times
Boards will bend and twist when they dry out. The fence boards were probably not sufficiently dried before they were used.

Since the boards used on your fence job are not likely from the same trees, you could have some dryer than others. It also could be how the sun hits the fence.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:22 PM

23,517 posts, read 69,907,878 times
Pressure treated wood is commonly served wet. The concept is that when it is nailed in place, the structure will limit the amount of warping and shrinking. Some of it does more of this than others.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:44 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,091,677 times
maybe he's using headless nails

Old 03-01-2009, 11:11 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,836,314 times
There is no such thing as a bad load of wood unless they are full of knots that wood in time crack on it's own.

Wood has not been allowed to dry properly over time before selling to the consumer.

Have seen 2/4 studs warp after installation in a house.

Visit any lumber store and pick up a 2/4 or 2/6 etc and feel the weight or dampness and you will know the wood is GREEN. PASS and do not buy.

Problem with construction today is the demand for material needed for rebuilding homes damaged in storms like Katrina. The price of plywood jumped sky high right afterwards all over the US. Flimsy excuse to raise prices.

Sorry for the fence problem...only recourse is dry wood for repairs. The guy who did your work should have known better. Steve

Old 03-02-2009, 12:12 PM

Thanks, Steve! I thought he should have known better but I wasnt sure.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:23 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,179,979 times
texdav is correct about them being sold to wet... You never want to use it until they have dried out...

I have some 2x4x10 and 2x4x8's drying in my garage right now. Two of the 2x10's are curling, I was in McCoys and told them about it and they told me to bring them back and they will replace them.

I remember when you could buy them and they were dry. But not anymore....

Old 03-02-2009, 12:41 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,483,446 times
I haven;'t seen Kiln dryed treated lumber in sometime.In fact ;a friend of mine who is a cabinet maker and knows wood said some of the fencing he sees isn't any pine he has ever seen.Also be sure and use the right fastener with the new type treated because it will eat some cheaper galvanized nails. Maze is one that is double dipped hot galnvanized naius. I have heard they are one of only two american nail manufacturers left.Some of the mexican hot dip are pretty much junk from test.Even some of the coated screws are not good for the new treatment chemical I am told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House