U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-10-2009, 03:07 PM

11,442 posts, read 8,067,448 times
Default What plaster to use to finish a rough concrete basement wall?

The house basement wall is rough concrete that I want to smooth then paint with interior paint. I’ve done several small patches with plaster of paris, but that stuff hardens so quickly I can only mix a small batch and have to work very fast. Then I still need to sand for a smooth surface. Is there anything similar to plaster of paris with a slower hardening time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-10-2009, 05:49 PM

19,874 posts, read 13,243,510 times
I'd parge it with concrete, it's been a while but the basics are this...

There's a screen mesh specifically for this. Note the screen needs to be installed the right way, if you look at the screen you'll see its angled. When you mount it on the wall the outside edges should be pointing up e.g. if you run your hands from the floor to the ceiling it will be smooth. If you run them from the ceiling to the floor it will be rough. The screen provides some structural integrity and an easy way to apply the concrete.

I forget the exact ratio Portland to sand but it's probably about 1:2 . First lightly wet the portion of the wall down you're going to work on so it's damp with hose. Apply the concrete with downward motions so it will easily ooze into the screen. You don't have to make it perfect it athis point, concrete has a very long drying time. After you get a few feet done you can go back to where you started and smooth it some more, repeat until it's as smooth as you want. If the concrete starts to get dry and it doesn't want to work anymore apply a thin mist of water...

Addtionally instead of making it perfectly smooth you can let it dry a little then get wet sponge and go over the entire surface, this will give it a rough sand paper like surface... or is that what you're trying to cover up?

We live where the basement can get damp so this would be the only option for us.

Unread 03-10-2009, 06:23 PM

3,184 posts, read 8,997,999 times
You can buy a bag of pre mixed (just add water) patching plaster, and trowel it on.

Unread 03-10-2009, 06:24 PM

10,428 posts, read 26,344,647 times
I think coalman is talking about stucco or some form of skim coating with that material. Just like they do with blue board.

I have to say no. There is no plaster material type of anything to skim a block wall smooth. In the desert where I recently left all property line walls were made of cinder block. They simply sprayed them with a stucco type material then painted. It hid the grout lines but it still had a rough like surface.

The correct way to accomplish what your trying to do is liquid nail and nail furring strips 16OC to the wall and apply green drywall. You can also put half inch thick foam insulating boards between the furring strips which are basicly 1 X 2s.

You could use water proof basement wall paint which is very thick but they all have a sand finish. The thick paint will fill in small imperfections.

Unread 03-10-2009, 06:28 PM

Your going to get a few dozen suggestions to skim the wall with plaster or spackle. Just know that all cement and cinder block walls sweat. Just like a cold glass of water in the humid summer. This wetness will disolve any kind of plaster material quicker then the govt can extort money from you.

So if there were a skim material it would HAVE to be portland cement based. Good luck with that.

Unread 03-10-2009, 07:37 PM

19,874 posts, read 13,243,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I think coalman is talking about stucco or some form of skim coating with that material. Just like they do with blue board.
Actually it's called parging as I said, least that's what my foreman called it "back in the day" when I worked on a a construction for few years 2 decades ago. I'm sure it's quite similar to stucco if not the same thing. It's actually quite common in this area to finish off basement walls or the top part of the foundation that sticks up above the ground. Anywhere you might have moisture. Basements where I live are prone to be damp so you're not going to be finishing them off nice.

You could probably even skip the mesh part if you have block walls, where I live all the foundations are rock so you need the mesh because the surface is so uneven.

Having said that its not that hard to do and you can get some really good results with a little practice. Concrete is actually a really good material to work with.

Unread 03-10-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Actually it's called parging as I said, least that's what my foreman called it "back in the day" when I worked on a a construction for few years 2 decades ago. I'm sure it's quite similar to stucco if not the same thing. It's actually quite common in this area to finish off basement walls or the top part of the foundation that sticks up above the ground. Anywhere you might have moisture. Basements where I live are prone to be damp so you're not going to be finishing them off nice.

You could probably even skip the mesh part if you have block walls, where I live all the foundations are rock so you need the mesh because the surface is so uneven.

Having said that its not that hard to do and you can get some really good results with a little practice. Concrete is actually a really good material to work with.
Just goes to show us that as many lifetimes one might be involved in something one still cant know everything. So goes your suggestion of Parging. I never heard of it so I looked it up always striving to know everything. Parge the ugly out of your concrete wall by Bill Leonard Issue #57

It seems parging is everything I already suggested using a stucco type finsh with a portland cement base. I just had no idea it had a real name. Now I know.

Thanks for that tip anyway coalman. I learned something.

Unread 03-11-2009, 08:18 AM

3,184 posts, read 8,997,999 times
Patching plaster is also portland cement based material.

Unread 03-11-2009, 09:15 AM

5,019 posts, read 8,268,506 times
We used this with good results:

QUIKRETE® - QUIKWALL® Surface Bonding Cement

Unread 03-11-2009, 09:35 AM

10,669 posts, read 22,262,023 times
Many Florida homes are concrete block. Parging or Stucco is an exterior treatment. Sweating and moisture issues make furring strips and drywall more practical for the interior, except inside garages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House