Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 12:54 PM

112 posts, read 849,180 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious if anyone has purchased furniture out of state and had to pay sales tax? I contacted this company www.Furniturelandsouth.com and was told they always charge sales. They're all the way in NC while I'm in VA. Anyone have experience with them and their service? I know exactly what I want and they have the item. I'm just confused as to why if it's being delivered out of state that I'm paying sales tax. Wouldn't they just keep that portion as profit? I'm asking since I've purchased furniture in the neighboring state of MD and if it's shipped to another state, there's no sales tax. I even paid in the store.

Anyone have a similar experience with this company or been in the same situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 01:14 PM

897 posts, read 2,817,071 times
I love FLS. I have purchased almost all my furniture from them and Boyles. Most of those purchases were made while living in NC, and thus we paid sales tax. To the best of my memory when we were living in GA we did not pay sales tax. The sales tax thing is probably on a state-by-state basis.

Have you asked them (FLS)?

Old 03-24-2009, 01:18 PM

112 posts, read 849,180 times
^Yes, I talked to a designer from there when I was looking for a quote. He mentioned I had to pay sales tax which I felt was odd. They're only located in NC so I'm not sure how they're charging out of state taxes.

But overall, your experience has been well with FLS? Since you're formerly from the region, are their prices competitive? Thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 01:43 PM

897 posts, read 2,817,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espressoo View Post
^Yes, I talked to a designer from there when I was looking for a quote. He mentioned I had to pay sales tax which I felt was odd. They're only located in NC so I'm not sure how they're charging out of state taxes.

But overall, your experience has been well with FLS? Since you're formerly from the region, are their prices competitive? Thanks
From what I remember VA/NC and NC/SC have done their over the border sales tax thing quite oddly - probably alot to do with competion with sales - I really don't know why. Kind of like the Lottery - folks were so used to going over the border into VA to buy tix and then SC got the lottery, NC finally gave in to keep the dollars from leaving the state.

I have always thought they had great prices. Would always shop around and compare prices locally - even around NC. They have long standing customers from all over the US and internationally - which I think says alot. I had some pieces delivered to GA (ATL) and the prices were better through FLS and the delivery was excellent. I currently live in OH and would not hestate to order from them again when I'm ready to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House