U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-18-2009, 09:08 PM

18 posts, read 82,852 times

Advertisements

Can I pain an electric baseboard with spray paint and stain? Or would this cause harm or a fire when heater gets hot?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 10:12 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,242,678 times
oh that is an excellent question.

i would think you should be fine as long as you use a high-temp paint. you can buy it in spray cans, most likely at your local automotive parts store. its used to paint engine blocks, etc. . .

another option might be powder coating. if you have someone in your town that does this, ask them for a price.

i get stuff powder coated every now and then, and small parts are very inexpensive.

of course price varies by area, but in my neck of the woods, having the baseboard heater cover powder-coated would probably cost around $35-$40, and it'll look like a million bucks when finished.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:15 PM

23,267 posts, read 17,639,241 times
Paint acts as an insulation when applied to any heating element which is commonly done to large radiators so no I wouldn't suggest it even before considering if it was hazardous or not.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:54 AM

2,979 posts, read 7,690,983 times
I'm not knowledgeable about how paint jeopardizes efficiency (does seem probable, but to what extent I don't know), but for me the visual appearance of radiators and baseboards came first - I know, I know, perhaps my priorities were skewed.

Anyway, we've painted steam radiators, electric baseboards, and hotwater baseboards with the same latex paint we used on mouldings and trims in the particular rooms. Right or wrong, that's what we did and without any negative consequence.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:39 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,761,343 times
I owned a home for 10 years with electric baseboards-they were painted when we got there and I painted them as we painted rooms over the years, with the latex we used. Never had any problems or bubbling or smell. (fyi, paint with them OFF lol.)

I mean, yes they get hot but-you use latex on the outside of the house and it gets really hot in summer and doesn't burst into flame.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:16 AM

23,267 posts, read 17,639,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I'm not knowledgeable about how paint jeopardizes efficiency (does seem probable, but to what extent I don't know), but for me the visual appearance of radiators and baseboards came first....
Just did a little research and I may be wrong about the efficiency it's not going to require more energy to heat with it however the more paint you add the less heat it will produce. You're reducing how much heat it can transfer to the room.

If you really want to clean it up find somewhere local that does sand blasting and take it there. It will look like brand new when you get it back. Some of those old radiators are quite decorative but you can't see the detail through the 50 layers of paint on them..

Old 05-08-2011, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 8,795 times
the coalman is missing one important issue. With electric baseboard heat, the heat transfer takes place at the fins inside the unit, not through the painted surface. The old style cast iron radiators would be effected, but not the slant fins within the electric baseboard heaters.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:04 PM

733 posts, read 2,851,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronarella View Post
the coalman is missing one important issue. With electric baseboard heat, the heat transfer takes place at the fins inside the unit, not through the painted surface. The old style cast iron radiators would be effected, but not the slant fins within the electric baseboard heaters.
According to the Kent Mechanical Engineers Handbook published in 1925 - my Bible for the antique steam and hot water systems in a commercial building and my home - painting cast iron or steel radiators has an infinitesimal effect.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:11 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,826,985 times
We have one room over the garage that has two long baseboard electric heaters and when I re-did the room I used a high-temp spray paint and sprayed them. Still heat the same and no issues after a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House