Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 16,088 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I moved into base housing about 5 months ago. Ever since, the carpet (cheap, I'm sure) is eating my vacuum up with some sort of carpet fuzz. I've done a bit of research, but now I'm really irked. The vacuum is making a funny noise and by the time I turn it off, anything it has "pulled" (which is just fuzz) is left behind for me to pick up.

What on earth do I do? I'm replacing the belt today, but I know it's going to happen again. Is there anything I can do to stop the fuzz?

Hair spray the carpet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 07:16 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,362,418 times
I am having the same problem. We purchased a new house with the standard carpet and everytime I vacumn I have fuzz left behind to pick up, let alone I have to unclog the vacumn everytime. The hose gets completely filled up with the fuzz and I have to work to get it out and then I usually take the bag and pull out what I can.

It has calmed down some but I am still getting it 8 months later. When we sold our last house we put down cheap carpet (builder grade) to sell but it didn't fuzz up like we have now.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:13 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,612,984 times
is the carpet brand new? I seemed to remember a lot of fuzz when the carpet was brand new. they told us to vacuum a lot then. Now, it is so old, there is no fuzz to be had!!!lol

Old 05-22-2008, 08:57 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,843,434 times
a lot of that fuzz has to do with manufacturing the carpet, it will go away eventually. The fuzz are fibers that didnt quite make it into the weaving process. I know that this doesnt make your life better, but wanted to let you know what it is.
Really good quality wool rugs do the same thing, just so you know it isnt a quality issue.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:37 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,078,849 times
Before we built homes on our own, we cleaned homes after new contruction, and let me tell ya, that kind of cheap carpeting with the never ending fuzz took out three perfectly good vacuums. I even rented a heavy duty one, and it also became filled with fuzz. I agree that it will eventually stop coming up. I started using a stick vac, because with it I could sweep all the surface fibers without getting all the fuzz, but then you don't get as deep a clean.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:42 AM

136 posts, read 514,133 times
We lived in a rental and the carpeting constantly got little fuzz balls on it in the kids room where they played a lot, it was cheap I am sure. It always did that and it wasn't brand new. Now in our house we got all new carpeting and the first month or so there was some fuzz coming up but it is fine now. So, unless your carpeting is fairly new it will probably just shed like that until you have it replaced.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:15 AM

275 posts, read 1,542,600 times
Default This is why I love this site...

I was just complaining to my dh about this issue this weekend. We just moved into a new house and I experience this everytime I vaccum. It is very frustrating but at least I know that it will stop eventually. We've only been living there for 1 month now.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:00 PM

699 posts, read 2,885,914 times
Make sure you have your vacuum set on high for a while. Trust me it does calm down after a while and then you can place your vacuum at the normal setting.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:14 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,933,809 times
It's not the quality of the carpeting, all grades of carpeting do this. I am in a new home, my upstairs is carpeted , and almost 1 year later, I still get carpet fuzz, mainly from the areas that are not used....but the first couple months, I was changing the vacuum bag alot. It's normal. You may want to attempt to clean the carpets with a industrial machine or an outside service, that may take away more fuzz than just vacuuming, just a suggestion...not sure though

Old 05-30-2008, 06:02 PM

324 posts, read 1,702,510 times
My carpet is almost 2 yrs old and I too still get the fuzz. I've gone through 2 vacuums in the last 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House