Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,876 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I live close to Phoenix (AZ) where as summer temperature can go as high as 115 degrees and sometimes even higher. My house has a south facing slump block(Masonry_Slump) wall (28ft X 8ft) that turns into a heat sink as the outside temperature reaches 90 degrees. There is no insulation or drywall whatsoever on the inside. I as looking ideas that can be applied to the outside of the wall so as to reduce the amount of heat that penerates the wall? Thanks!

James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 07:26 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Out of curiosity, why are you looking at something for the outside of the wall? I'm thinking you'd want to preserve the look of the outside, and put insulation on the inside.

I guess I don't really have much for suggestions, other than that I think I personally would lean toward insulating and sheeting the inside.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:51 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,996 times
I have to go to work right now so this will be short.

Check out " Trombe wall" and "solar chimney". And how they can work together to make use of heats natural tendency to rise for ventilation. .

Heres a link for "solar chimney"

Solar chimney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-27-2009, 01:41 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Brick is a terrible insulator. It's like a sieve for heat that is always transferring in the wrong direction.

Do you have any windows on that wall? Treating or replacing the windows will make an enormous difference immediately. I think that some people will actually clad their houses with a foam-under-foil barrier then stucco over the whole thing (seen some done to look like adobe). Seems to work fairly well.

If you don't mind having the ugliest house in Arizona you could always paint the brick with a radiant barrier, but that would really be hideous and it's debatable how effective it would actually be.

There may not be an acceptable, effective and inexpensive solution here...

Old 03-27-2009, 03:46 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,271 times
Viewing the AirVol website it looks like these are hollow blocks - or at least the larger ones are. Can you pour in some block fill insulation?

Old 03-27-2009, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,876 times
Cecilia_Rose, thanks very much. I reviewed the online docs on "Trombe wall" and "solar chimney" but it seem a bit too complex and possibly very expensive.

jimboburnsy, I do have a window which I have insulated it well enough and as such it is not much of a concern. I like your idea of "foam-under-foil barrier then stucco" and wondering how is it done. Do I first create and attach a wooden frame to the wall then then attach the foam and foil? What goes next before applying the stucco?

The slump block is indeed hollow on the inside and years ago I had a contractor inject foam into the blocks but that did not help much. I feel applying reflective paint will have the same effect.

Please let me know if have any other ideas? Thanks very much for your responses.

James

Old 03-28-2009, 05:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Do you have any landscape options to cut the amount of sun that reaches the house? Around here people use trees to do that but not much grows in Arizona.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:29 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,788,317 times
Anything to keep the sun from hitting that wall... not sure of mesquite type shrubs would do it because who knows if they could survive in the desert. Maybe some tall cactuses to partially shade it? Keeping the sunlight from hitting the wall is probably your best bet, without changing up any attribute of the wall itself by adding insulation or anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House