Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 09:34 AM

546 posts, read 2,203,377 times

Advertisements

I heard that one of the swiffer products causes liver cancer in dogs and cats, and I think the product is swiffer wet jet as shown as this below link:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

however, does anyone know if this below product does the same harm to pets? It’s just the wet cloth for the swiffer mop/sweeper that Costco sells currently:
http://www.hectorshardware.biz/shop/product.asp?dept_id=100301&sku=619478&

I thought they might be the same, as the ingredient on the wet solution might be similar or the same..please advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 09:39 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,485 times
You know you're not supposed to cross-post duplicate posts?

Old 03-27-2009, 02:51 PM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,241,519 times
Duplicate posts nor not - Swiffer wet mops are no danger to pets. That story is an old urban legend.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:14 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
snopes.com: Swiffer WetJet Pet Danger

Old 03-28-2009, 12:26 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
There has been quite a bit of interesting news about snopes itself lately. So it could be a good idea to try and verify your concerns with some other independent source(s). I don't really know much about the swiffer issue but common sense tells me that too many toxic chemicals around just isn't a good thing for animals. I have parrots for instance, and what may not harm a cat or dog can kill a parrot in a few moments. Be on the safe side. Clean with proven safe products. Sometimes I can't believe all these disposable type cleaning things like mops etc. What happened to soap, water and a mop! (well of course, marketing is what happened.........) No way can you convince me that a flimsy swiffer will get a really stuck on dirty spot clean that easily!

okay sorry. rant over.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:11 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
KonaKat, could you provide a link to the "quite a bit of interesting news about snopes"? Because I've followed up and done my own research in past on things that they've covered and finally stopped when I was consistently able to verify their conclusions (which are in the true, false, maybe, or undetermined categories).

I know there are people who would LIKE to discredit snopes because they take all of the fun out of being scared and titillated by the various "warnings" that run around out there, and some who would love to believe they're on the take or something, either because of the aforementioned "you're spoiling all my fun" reaction or because they're the people who write the hoaxes themselves (those need to get a life), but I'd love to see whatever news you're referring to if it's valid.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:36 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBB View Post
Duplicate posts nor not - Swiffer wet mops are no danger to pets. That story is an old urban legend.
Regarding liver cancer, yes -- but if you use it around parrots (or other pet birds), there can be a danger, since they have such sensitive respiratory systems.

And if you have parrots, please, be careful with any non-stick cookware. Overheated PTFE (Teflon, SilverStone) outgasses, and this compound will kill a pet bird within minutes.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:40 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
I have parrots for instance, and what may not harm a cat or dog can kill a parrot in a few moments.
Amen. We're so careful since our parrots came into our lives -- no more candles, Teflon and SilverStone pans replaced with stainless or aluminum, the door to their room being closed when we use cleaning products. But they're worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House