U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-27-2009, 09:11 PM
 
42 posts, read 667,539 times
Reputation: 54

Advertisements

Does anybody have any idea about the shipping container house? It uses the used container to build houses. I want to know how much I have to spend on a single container if I ask a contractor to do it for me.
If you know the answer, please let me know. Have a good day!











Last edited by fortune-tellers; 03-27-2009 at 09:55 PM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-28-2009, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
11,699 posts, read 26,955,280 times
Reputation: 14407
Used containers are a couple of thousand, depending on scrap costs and the condition. The costs start building up if you want insulation, decent floors and walls, etc. In most cases, the idea is more of a novelty than a sensible solution. A used travel trailer can be had for a similar amount, complete with bathroom, kitchen, heater, windows, and AC.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2009, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
5,081 posts, read 7,695,565 times
Reputation: 2236
The metal container will do a great job of letting heat in during summer and letting the cold in during winter. Don't forget to take into account the cost for covering up the metal with something else to keep the sun and wind off it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2009, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,427 posts, read 29,739,460 times
Reputation: 9642
Harry I cant believe those containers cost that much do they?

But if so then your suggestion of an old travel trailer should be a better option since you would have most of the things like bathroom, tables, fridge etc etc to start with. Oh and windows. Who wants to cut out windows from solid steel sides? How many areas would permit one to erect one of these?

We had a thread going here on just this subject about 6 months ago if one felt like doing a search.

Some tornado prone areas are making container shelters with earth berms on each side of them for residents to escape damaging wind.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2009, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Knoxville
3,331 posts, read 10,780,081 times
Reputation: 3338
I think those things go for about $20K new. Several years ago (I guess a couple decades now) I bought a few for a company I was working for. Since it was in So CA it was close to the shipping yards, and there were lots to pick from.

The problems that I found looking at used ones was the basic condition (rusted or damaged. They usually use them until they are worn out. The other was the stuff that got spilled or leaked on the wood flooring inside some of them. Who knows what kind of toxic chemicals might have been stored in them.

On TV the other night there was a show about houses built out of these things. To me it was just a gimmick. First of all, they are not very wide. They have no insulation, and any modifications require cutting torches and welding.

If the idea was to find a low cost building material, it might fill the bill, but probably not after all the needed work was done. And unless you were close to a large source of these things, the cost of trucking them and using a crane to move them around might eat into the savings pretty fast.

If you wanted a unique building go for it.
Still needs a foundation, and pretty much everything would have to be specialized such as plumbing, electrical, interior finish, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2009, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
11,699 posts, read 26,955,280 times
Reputation: 14407
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Harry I cant believe those containers cost that much do they?

But if so then your suggestion of an old travel trailer should be a better option since you would have most of the things like bathroom, tables, fridge etc etc to start with. Oh and windows. Who wants to cut out windows from solid steel sides? How many areas would permit one to erect one of these?

We had a thread going here on just this subject about 6 months ago if one felt like doing a search.

Some tornado prone areas are making container shelters with earth berms on each side of them for residents to escape damaging wind.
Minimum price will never fall below scrap price for the metal.

There are places without building codes, so they are legal sometimes.

The way a lot of the oldtimers made tornado shelters was to bury a car/van/bus. Kinda clever when you think about it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Vermont
4,725 posts, read 9,127,529 times
Reputation: 1934
I think its neat. travel trailers contain all sorts of stuff I wouldn't want to be exposed to permanently(formaldehyde anyone?). It doesn't take much to cut a few holes and insulate. howevr, this would never be even close to allowed here, even as a SHED.

Then again, a brand new "mobile home" doesn't cost much either....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 02:45 AM
 
42 posts, read 667,539 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Used containers are a couple of thousand, depending on scrap costs and the condition. The costs start building up if you want insulation, decent floors and walls, etc. In most cases, the idea is more of a novelty than a sensible solution. A used travel trailer can be had for a similar amount, complete with bathroom, kitchen, heater, windows, and AC.



Travel trailer is different from this type of container home. I want something inexpensive as well as it shows my "character." I have done a deeper research in the past a few days. Actually, to build one like this, it can cost as much as $180/ft. A 40 feet long, 8 feet wide, and 8 1/2 feet tall container could be expensive to build. But some sell it for $8000 to $12,000/each(40' container, but it looks unattractive).
Well, it is still my "dream home." The advantages of this type of housing is you can add as many container together and you can also increase the size of this type of house whenever you feel like it.

Last edited by fortune-tellers; 03-30-2009 at 03:15 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 02:52 AM
 
42 posts, read 667,539 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Minimum price will never fall below scrap price for the metal.

There are places without building codes, so they are legal sometimes.

The way a lot of the oldtimers made tornado shelters was to bury a car/van/bus. Kinda clever when you think about it.
Even New York State allows it! I hope all 50 states allow this type of housing.



Last edited by fortune-tellers; 03-30-2009 at 03:31 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 02:58 AM
 
42 posts, read 667,539 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I think its neat. travel trailers contain all sorts of stuff I wouldn't want to be exposed to permanently(formaldehyde anyone?). It doesn't take much to cut a few holes and insulate. howevr, this would never be even close to allowed here, even as a SHED.

Then again, a brand new "mobile home" doesn't cost much either....
A brand new mobile home is not the same as the shipping containers. The shipping containers can be piled up like you see in the container port. Mobile home cannot be piled up at all...So if you wanna to increase the size of this type of housing, it is achievable if you use the shipping containers. Mobile home is very limited.








Last edited by fortune-tellers; 03-30-2009 at 03:21 AM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top