Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 04:56 PM

126 posts, read 454,209 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any experience with interior ceramic paints? I heard about this product on a home improvement radio talk show, but the show host didn't have any information on it.

I googled it and found some links that sell a product that you can add to the paint. Supposedly, it will block heat exchange in the painted surface up to some undefined percentage. Now, being in Texas with a west facing wall, I AM VERY INTERESTED in anything that will keep heat out.

The websites I've read are long on hyperbole and short on stats. So I'd like to get some real information -
  • Has anyone used this product?
  • Would you recommend it for interior use?
  • Is there any validity to their claims?

Thanks for your feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:23 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vseale View Post
Has anyone had any experience with interior ceramic paints? I heard about this product on a home improvement radio talk show, but the show host didn't have any information on it.

I googled it and found some links that sell a product that you can add to the paint. Supposedly, it will block heat exchange in the painted surface up to some undefined percentage. Now, being in Texas with a west facing wall, I AM VERY INTERESTED in anything that will keep heat out.

The websites I've read are long on hyperbole and short on stats. So I'd like to get some real information -
  • Has anyone used this product?
  • Would you recommend it for interior use?
  • Is there any validity to their claims?
Thanks for your feedback
I dont get it. What does interior ceramic paint even have to do with heat exchange? What are you asking?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:04 PM

126 posts, read 454,209 times
According to the website I've looked at, the additive blocks heat from moving in or out of the wall. Supposedly, it's the same active ingredient in radiant paint barrier.

I just wanted to check if anyone here had actually used this and found it worked/didn't work.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:21 PM

855 posts, read 2,396,329 times
I was considering one of these additives a couple of years ago. Our garage gets hotter than hades in the peak of summer and I was mulling over painting the roof sheathing with it inside.

I found a report that was pretty cool(I made a funny) towards the prospect of it having long term benefits and after a bit of re-searching, found it.

http://www.energyideas.org/documents...R/Insuladd.pdf

Sherwin-Williams makes a paint with similar claims but I think their additive is microscopic metal flakes. I believe it's called E-barrier.

I've been bitten by the search bug. I also found this:

Radiant Barrier Paint Vs. Foil Radiant Barrier - AtticFoil.com

Granted that site is pushing a different product, but I've actually used a variant of that radiant barrier called Reflectix and found it to be effective.

That site also referenced this report:

Evaluation of Thermal Emittance for Interior Radiation Control Coatings - RIMA-I (http://www.rimainternational.org/technical/ircc.html - broken link)

It sounds as though there are some that may be effective if they can be had.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:19 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
All I can say is I been in the construction trades for 3 decades and I never heard of anything like that. There are all kinds of scams out there which are not required to prove their claim. They are products out there for half a century like "tune up in a can" for your car as well as special pills to make you young or even more pills to make a man bigger.

All have one thing in common. Their advertising is designed and crafted to part you from your money.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:01 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Is it Venetian plaster? If so, isn't the plaster like porcelain which would make it a combination of clay and glass? We have a few experts in this topic in this forum so maybe someone knows the answer.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,442 times
I work for a company called Nationwide Chemical Coating and we produce several varieties of ceramic paint. The paint actually contains ceramic borosilicates as well as ceramic pigment. The result is an incredibly durable as well as insulating and soundproofing coating. Check us out on the web at Nationwidecoatings.com

Old 04-17-2009, 02:20 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
It is rather difficult for me to get a firm brain-grasp on how a layer of paint could have a soundproofing effect. I'm also having difficulty with the assertion that any coat of paint could have an appreciable effect on the properties of a home's insulation. It sounds plausible that a ceramic paint could be durable, but I just don't know. How much? $80/can? More? If so, I'd rather buy Enzyte.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,341 times
Default Ceramic paint answer

Hey there everyone,
We are all in this energy saving quest together....some have time/resources to check things out...others dive in...eventually. I live in Roseville Ca just outside of Sacramento...it was 105 on Friday...and it's only May. :=) Been looking at ceramic paint from Hy-Tech sales and Insuladd for over a year. Finally purchased 5 gal of the roof elastomeric paint and 1gal of the wall paint. For emperimental pursposes and to put this issue to bed of. To test things, we took 4 2'X2' sheets of sheetrock material, painted two of them on one side(one facing the sun, the other the other the ground) each with one coat, one both sides two coats, and one no paint as the control.... We've been taking measurements for 4 days now and on this simple experient...we are seeing an temp variances from the 'non-painted' control piece of 30 degrees! Yup, that is the roof paint with two coats. I would encouragement anyone to purchase a can of this stuff and do your own tests... I have a stucco house with grey concrete roofing(just begging the sun to come heat my roof all day/night!) and I'm looking for some relief of cooling costs. With an IR temp gun, I measured my upstairs NW facing siding on our bedroom...on a 85degree day at 5pm...it was 153 degrees! When the sun goes down, and the AC comes on, the inside is cooler than the outside and IN COMES THE HEAT...the ceramic paint will in theory resist the flow of heat. (ask yourself why the shuttle uses ceramic heat tiles to prevent meltdown.) With this recently acquired data, I think I'll be paint the inside and outside of my home with this stuff. On my garage doors, I'll be using the paint AND foil products out there. This stuff works. For Desertsun41, Heat exchange is the wonderful effect of heat passing from the siding, to the plywood,through the insulation,(all through conduction) then through the air(via convection) then back onto your ceiling insulation by conduction, then into your house and by convection...making you and yours sweat like crazy. Since ceramic does not conduct heat very well, there is no heat exchange...in theory. As for the soundproofing aspect of this paint, they claim the ceramic beads are spherical and hollow with a vacuum inside...hence no sound can pass through a vacuum ala 1st semister physics class where you suck the air out of a bell jar with an alarm going off...eventually you cannot hear it though you see it bouncing along...
Sorry for long post!
Cheers everyone!
Go America!
EB

Old 05-19-2009, 04:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
We used ceramic paint int eh kitchen for durability, nothing to do with heat. Think about it, a ocat of paint is something like 1/10000th of an inch thick. Even if it did have some insulating qulaities, do you think it would really make any noticable difference? Someone is trying to sell you on a gimmick. I do nto think that you can make ceramic paint by just dumping an additive into regular paint.

Ceramic paint is expensive, smelly and hard to use. We had to use eight coats to get good coverage, but then we were using Cobalt blue (very deep colored paints are runny and hard to apply). The painter said that he should have quoted us three times the price it took him a lot more effort than he expected. We painted most of the rest of the kitchen, but we knew that the blue would be a bear so we left it for the pro.

If you are going to spend that kinf of money, just upgrade your insulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House