Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:45 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times

Advertisements

The BEST thing that ever happened to me is having a laundry room on the second floor, next only to the front loading washing machine. Gone are the days of a million trips to the basement from the second floor. I don't iron most of hubby's shirts but the only way to keep them looking decent is to take them out immediately after the dryer buzzes, hang them on hangers and run my hands through them while warm. That gets rid of most of the wrinkles, enough to make them decent to wear. When our laundry was in the basement, I had a clothesline down there to hang the hangup clothes, but hubby would leave his shirts down there for a long time, till I felt that it got dusty anyway! Plus, now that the laundry is up on the second floor, I don't have to empty the dryer as quickly, and if people run out of undies before I have had the chance to fold them and put them away, everyone can just go and open the dryer and pick one out. I've lost the sense of urgency I always had when it was down in the basement. The extra room it provided for overflow of cleaners, dusters, etc. is heaven sent! The kids are also more inclined to do their own laundry now, since they don't have to lug heavy baskets up and down the stairs...now they just drag them on the floor! LOL! The downside is, I've lost my excuse for the "mild exercise" I always tell the docs I get. Guess I have to invest in a stair stepper to replace it. BTW, it only works for me if all the rooms are on the same level. This is the reason why I did not get the MBR on the first floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 07:54 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
It is a great idea to turn off the water that connects to the back of the washer when you go away overnight. This will protect the washer from the water pressure that is always there and also prevent a flood if the hoses should burst. It's good to check those hoses weekly for bulges, or even replace them occasionally.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:02 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,314,460 times
I will never buy a home where the laundry isn't upstairs. My first place was all one floor, so no big deal. My second place it was on the first floor and it was a pain in the but to carry it down and then back up all the time. My third and fourth place were/are upstairs. Yes, if it busts/leaks it is a major problem, but if you take steps to keep that from happening (like using a heavy duty hose on the back of the washer) I think the chances are slim of a bust.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:28 AM
o2b

13 posts, read 87,930 times
I am currently buying a new townhome with the laundry in the basement! (Ryan homes -- DON'T BUY!) The first thing I'm doing is to move the laundry into a small closet on the third level - where the bedrooms are. From what I understand, if you plan on stacking the new front loaders you should check with the manufacturer. Whirlpool has designed the Duet to allow stacking on an upper level but does not advise it with any other of their models. LG - last I heard cannot be stacked...the vibration will break dishes on the floor below.

I want to grade the floor in the laundry and add a drain in the floor in case of leaks/floods. Does anyone know how to do that? And are there any other pieces of advice anyone can give? Thanks!

Old 10-10-2008, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 12,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
So my new house has a laundry room on the second floor. I thought maybe that was a good thing considering the bedrooms were on the second as well.

Anyway, I was shopping around over the weekend for a new washer & dryer and was told that a front loader was a really bad choice. It has been known to make more excessive noise since its not on a solid foundation, and it tends to flood alot.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? Is there really a disadvantage to having a laundry room on the second floor?
Some of the homes const. today may have a problem,lots depends on the location of the room ,if the laundry set is setting againest the exterior wall you may not have any issues. If you but a set make sure they are level and all 4 feet are firmly touching the floor. Ceramic tile is better because it add to the thickness of the floor.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:06 AM
o2b

13 posts, read 87,930 times
Update to previous post. I did move the laundry to the 3rd floor of the house. I added a drain in the floor, provided an access panel in the back to be able to get to the water shut-off, electric and lint filter. I added quiet-rock to the walls and the ceiling below. I bought a samsung washer and dryer because of their "quiet" technology and for the most part, there have been no problems with broken dishes and the like. Every so often the washer does go off-balance which makes the upper floor vibrate but it's not that often.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 AM

42 posts, read 98,760 times
I don't like to tempt fate, and will not buy a home with a 2nd floor laundry area. We have a big basket in our bedroom and I just have walk up and down the stairs once a week to do my laundry. Is it really that much of a hassle? Not to me, I like working out my buns and thighs I also have peace of mind knowing that there will be zero chances of it flooding or whatever issues that can happen. Risk of costing a few thousand dollars of damage in the future versus a little more so called inconvenience. It's a no brainer for me.

We don't even have a mud room, just a laundry closet off the kitchen. I like it though, I can watch TV or continue cooking while ironing.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:11 PM

151 posts, read 548,285 times
I know this is an old thread but I have a concern.

We are looking at a new construction home and found one we love, the only concern is the laundry room is on the second floor. I asked the builder about a drain and he said that is something that they do not do. The laundry room is on an outside wall and is small with laminate flooring. We love the house and the idea of having laundry on the second floor with all of the rooms but I am worried about a leak. I can intall the auto shutoff sensors, and better hoses, but not having a drain worries me.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
There's no law that you have to have your laundry room where the current laundry room is located.

You should be concerned about laminate flooring. I'd be worried about an overflow.

Washing machines that aren't in the basement need more than a drain. They need to be in a tile tub that surrounds them to capture the water.

But that's no reason to not buy the house. Just install your washer and dryer in the basement!

Old 01-20-2010, 03:34 PM

151 posts, read 548,285 times
Thanks. No basement in the house, just the garage. So the only place is where it is designed to go, upstairs. I guess a drain is not required here in WA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House