U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:39 AM

593 posts, read 2,146,665 times

Advertisements

Our vacuum just gave out in a huge blast of dust this weekend, so I'm on the hunt for a new one.

Of course it'd be nice to have a Dyson, since they are so cool looking, but the smart half of my brain is telling me not to drop $400 on a vacuum when $200 of that is going towards flashy ads on tv.

I'm really looking to spend less than $200. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best vacuum in this price range?

I live in a 2-bedroom apartment w/ wall-to-wall carpeting, and I don't have any pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 11:52 AM

4,948 posts, read 15,286,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
Our vacuum just gave out in a huge blast of dust this weekend, so I'm on the hunt for a new one.

Of course it'd be nice to have a Dyson, since they are so cool looking, but the smart half of my brain is telling me not to drop $400 on a vacuum when $200 of that is going towards flashy ads on tv.

I'm really looking to spend less than $200. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best vacuum in this price range?

I live in a 2-bedroom apartment w/ wall-to-wall carpeting, and I don't have any pets.
Some of the higher end sears brand kenmores are good.
they also often go on sale. You can go to the sears on line store and read the reviews from people that do have them. Sometimes bestbuy has a good price on dyson also.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:59 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,167,593 times
I can't tell you how much they cost because I inherited mine, but I love my Oreck. It's light weight, efficient, and easy to use. Most regular sized vacuums are way to heavy for me to use.

I also bought a $15 Bissell non-electric push thing for quick cleanups.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:45 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,097,000 times
I bought a Bissel Cyclone from Walmart for under $100 a couple years ago and I'm quite happy with it. Its bagless and has a clear catch container so you can see what you are picking up - very motivating. I tend not to buy "high end" any more as I have found they break down just as quick and are usually very expensive to repair. So, I buy cheaper and just plan on replacing vs. repairing when the time comes - all appliances. Thats just me. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:55 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,725,183 times
All I can say is; good choice not buying a Dyson! we bought ours about 4 years ago and are NOT happy with it at all. We went off our Consumer Reports Review when it was time to puchase a new one and were pleased with what we had read. Well, our experience has not been very good.
They advertise that they "never lose their suction", well,it is because there is no suction to loose!
Terrible.
We called them a few times and they said to clean out the filter inside (it is bagless) so have done that every so often.
Our next purchase will not be a Dyson!

Old 04-06-2009, 01:20 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,131,968 times
mine is the $99 from Lowes, I believe its the Eureka(red one) that have the auto cord reeling feature. I'm so happy with it. my wife bought the expensive canister type, uber quiet electrolux, while its very good it cannot beat mine especially for sawdust/clippings of different materials in loopcarpeting (i have indoor projects). my wife is soo ticked off she researched her vac for 6 months while I just bought mine (for the 2nd flr) because it has the same color as ironman.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:30 PM

9,242 posts, read 18,084,252 times
Sears Kenmore Progessive HEPA Bag line is about the best bang for your buck that you can get. Back when I bought mine they offered a "soup'ed up" version for around $350 (same as now) and a no-frills version of it for $230 (seems to be discontinued now), both used the same motor and case but the soup'ed up version had 3 buttons for lo-med-hi selection and was direct drive vs. the no-fills version had one button that cycled thru the different settings and was belt driven. I bought the no-frills on sale for around $180. Looks like the only place you can get it now is ebay...

Looking it up online now, it appears as though they've re-engineered the no-fills version, so I would stay away from that one now, reviews look bad. You mentioned your budget of $200 but their soup'ed up Progessive is now $250 on sale. You really can't beat this vacuum. 4.5 starts out of 5 with 200+ people reviewing it.

Kenmore Progressive Upright Vacuum with Inteli-Clean System, Slate Blue - 35923 at Sears.com

The HEPA bag system is the best thing since sliced bread. Forget bagless. Seriously. When I open mine up and take the bag off the inside is as clean as it was when we first brought it home. The version I've linked to is the higher end bagged unit and if I am not mistaken doesn't use a belt (mine does) it uses another motor to turn the brushes (hence, direct drive) so really the only thing you will be replacing is the HEPA bags, which while not cheap, are EXTREMELY effective. I can't stress them enough. I have a dog that sheds quite a bit and even her hair isn't a match. If I have to buy another one (hopefully not!) I will be buying that direct drive version that I've linked to only because mine isn't offered any more.

You can't go wrong with that vacuum!

Old 04-06-2009, 01:49 PM

1,249 posts, read 4,085,949 times
My Kenmore Progessive (top of the line) just died...3 years young...I have a small dog who doesn't shed, so I vacuum a few times of week, but I was disappointed that the vacuum only last 3 years...I think I paid around 300-325.00 for this vacuum...I am not hard on vacuums either...so it's definitely the quality...My mom and grandmother's Hoover's lasted for 20-30 years...with normal maint. like belt and brush updates...this is unreal...

I ordered the new Hoover Windtunnel Canister from Bed Bath Beyond {in store}, I had a 20% coupon and they match a competitor's ad and through in free shipping...so I got a $299.99 vacuum for $199.99...they match the competitor's ad of $249.99, less their 20% coupon. I have the vacuum about a week now...it's good, I have had Hoover before, so we will see how this one holds up...not going back to Kenmore until they clean up their act. The only downside to the Hoover Canister is that the floor brush and small turbo nozzle don't store on the vacuum...I was used to everything storing on the vacuum, so its a PITA to hold attachments while vacuuming...I like to switch out attachments in each room to get everything, including corners...If I don't like this one, I will return, but will be at a loss as to what to purchase, I will only buy a canister vacuum. I can't afford Miele, or I would have one by now.

The model I have is the Hoover S3670...just came out last year...looks like Miele but not a Miele...Hoover also includes a 3 year warranty, could be viewed as good and bad...Good Luck...

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...=116051&RN=913

Old 04-06-2009, 02:38 PM

48,526 posts, read 76,038,030 times
fOR THAT PRICE CONSUMER REPORTS RECOMMENDS:Hoover wind tunnel U5491-900 @140;the hoover wind tunnel U5786-900@160 or the eureka Bisss smartvac@170.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:54 PM

9,242 posts, read 18,084,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
My Kenmore Progessive (top of the line) just died...3 years young...I have a small dog who doesn't shed, so I vacuum a few times of week, but I was disappointed that the vacuum only last 3 years...I think I paid around 300-325.00 for this vacuum...I am not hard on vacuums either...so it's definitely the quality...My mom and grandmother's Hoover's lasted for 20-30 years...with normal maint. like belt and brush updates...this is unreal...
Can you tell me what failed? I am interested to know, ours is going on 2 years now, so far it's been awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House