U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-07-2009, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan and Sometimes Orange County CA
15,819 posts, read 32,425,087 times
Reputation: 11868

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Can't you go to your city offices and ask about registered contractors that are bonded and insured. If a contractor can't give you a bid on what you want;he is probably a jacklegg as they are called. I never would sign without a firm contract;references.Also be leary of anyone who wants the money all upo front. Check witht eh BB also for compalints.
Not a city. Contractors arre licensed by the state. Some states requrie the contractor to put up a bond that can be used to cover damages in some situations, except that the bonding companies rarely pay. Bonding is not as important as insurance. For insurance you want to ensure that they have workers comp if they have employees, liability insurance and on big jobs, builders risk. You can usually check withthe state licensing board for complaints as well.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2009, 12:22 PM
 
547 posts, read 1,104,956 times
Reputation: 534
I hear you!! I am in the middle of building out my 2nd floor. I didn't want it to be a nightmare so I took things slow and made sure I had the right team (licensed & insured subcontractors) beside me. I began looking for them beginning Nov 08 and just hired my last subcontractor this week.

Here were my rules:

If I call you to come set up a quote and you are late without calling or don't come on time, I don't hire you.

If you don't show up with a copy of your license/certificate of insurance and at least 3 referrals for recent and past work done, I don't hire you. (this is asked for when I set up the bid appt.)

If I don't receive a quote/bid when you told me I will get it, I don't hire you.

I am to the drywall part of my project and so far this formula for hiring sub-contractors has weeded out the flakes and let me land some of the best.

I suggest that you keep going until you find the right contractor. It took me months of many bids and lots of non returned calls BUT I am so glad that I took my time to make certain that I started my project out with the right people.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2009, 04:37 PM
 
22,275 posts, read 17,441,633 times
Reputation: 9052
They only thing I can add is this. Anyone can get three "good" references. Ask for some where the job did NOT go prefect. It happens to us all. I just when back and put a liner in a well, the next morning after the folks called. These are the people you want to talk to.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2009, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
15,735 posts, read 15,873,340 times
Reputation: 14067
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyerbuyerpantsonfire View Post
I have been trying to get estimates for pricey work I will have done after closing. Some contractors don't call me back. One gave me a quote then added that it factored in that I'd be signing up for other services (a year contract). Another gave me a quote not including anything I asked (and I was specific) and I was told "we figured we'd start off with this and then you can add work after that." Yet another gave me a quote, I said OK, now a week later he doesn't return my calls to make an appointment.

Is this business as usual homeowners?? I've rented up until now so I don't know!
I wish I had an answer. I am PO'd with the lack of professionalism I have received about showing up to provide estimates, installation times etc. (I posted same in house forum). In the current era of cell phones there is no reason for someone to miss an appointment by an hour w/o a phone call.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan and Sometimes Orange County CA
15,819 posts, read 32,425,087 times
Reputation: 11868
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I sure hope you are a liar.....oops I mean Lawyer because I say you are wrong but dont know where or care to look up the facts.

Where is my friend Driller1 ? She would know the answer to this I'm pretty sure.
Sorry, he or she is correct about specific performance.

Yes I am a lawyer. My practice area is construction contract law.

I have been practicing in this area of law for over 20 years.


The remedy for breach of contract is damages excpet in special circumstances as described.

However, in this situation, there is rarely enoguh mony to justify hiring a lawyer and suing over it. You need to be careful up front. IN some states (CA is one) you can get considerable help from the state contractors license board. IN other states (MI for example) the license baord will nto really do anything for consumers.

Most states have very specific rules about contracting with homeowners. Some have a period of time in which you are allowed to change your mind without defaulting on the contract. If the contractor has not started work, and has not turned down other jobs, then they will be hard pressed to prove any damages if you cancel before they start. However if they do not keep their end of the bargain, (incluuding showing up on time and performing quality workmanship) you can fire them. You will have to pay for the work that they completed.


In some states, you do not have to pay the contractor if they do not have a license. In fact, in California, you can pay an unlicensed contractor and then sue them and make them give all the money back, even if they did the work properly.

It is a nasty law. The message is do not do construciton work in CA if you have no license.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 05:39 PM
 
43,017 posts, read 50,400,919 times
Reputation: 28787
In my area, it's very hard to find contractors because they simply do not need the work.

The region has an almost zero uneducated immigrant populatio and the cost of living is low.

As a result, the limited people with the skills don't need to earn much money to make ends meet.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 05:42 PM
 
43,017 posts, read 50,400,919 times
Reputation: 28787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I wish I had an answer. I am PO'd with the lack of professionalism I have received about showing up to provide estimates, installation times etc. (I posted same in house forum). In the current era of cell phones there is no reason for someone to miss an appointment by an hour w/o a phone call.
They clearly aren't concerned with your needs. There's enough money to be made elsewhere or your job would be top priority.

I always thought I'd make a fortune if I went into construction simply by providing decent customer service.

Sadly, I don't have the skills so I'll have to stick with professional office career instead.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
Reputation: 9661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Sorry, he or she is correct about specific performance.

Yes I am a lawyer. My practice area is construction contract law.

I have been practicing in this area of law for over 20 years.


The remedy for breach of contract is damages excpet in special circumstances as described.

However, in this situation, there is rarely enoguh mony to justify hiring a lawyer and suing over it. You need to be careful up front. IN some states (CA is one) you can get considerable help from the state contractors license board. IN other states (MI for example) the license baord will nto really do anything for consumers.

Most states have very specific rules about contracting with homeowners. Some have a period of time in which you are allowed to change your mind without defaulting on the contract. If the contractor has not started work, and has not turned down other jobs, then they will be hard pressed to prove any damages if you cancel before they start. However if they do not keep their end of the bargain, (incluuding showing up on time and performing quality workmanship) you can fire them. You will have to pay for the work that they completed.


In some states, you do not have to pay the contractor if they do not have a license. In fact, in California, you can pay an unlicensed contractor and then sue them and make them give all the money back, even if they did the work properly.

It is a nasty law. The message is do not do construciton work in CA if you have no license.
I don't know why you opened up a post so old it has Dinosaur footprints on it. I saw your answer to me earlier and don't know why I might have sounded mean to you or why you answered me so long after my post. Now I am receiving REPs for this antique post as well as questions on my advice. Whatever the case.....peace man. I got no problem with Lawyers. We have always seen eye to eye and your advice is good.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2014, 03:15 PM
 
2 posts, read 658 times
Reputation: 10
Default Yes, you're all right.

I have to agree with everyone on here. It's been like this for the last almost 30 years at least. Currently someone I closely know won't replace a contractor who's had to do everything over more times than he could count, because at least this fellow admits when it's his fault and doesn't insult the homeowner or argue like most of them do, to boot.
The thing that's puzzled me is why there has been no increase in visible promotions for any training schools for plumbers, masons, carpenters, or electricians--; or why more families have not realized that it would be a good option to consider training their growing sons or daughters in these skills even if they have to do research to learn it enough themselves first, since this would be such a lucrative career option. It's strange why no mass of takers has rushed (or even crept) in to fill this vast gap.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2014, 05:55 PM
 
2,304 posts, read 3,657,999 times
Reputation: 3426
Lets see here, this thread started in 2009 and the last post was in 2010. Ya really think the OP is still around waiting for an answer?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top