U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you wear your shoes in your home?
Yes I wear my shoes in the house 48 30.38%
No I take them off when I get inside. 110 69.62%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 06:13 PM

257 posts, read 908,046 times
Default Do you wear your shoes in the house?

Do you take your shoes off when you come in or do you wear them?
Do you ever worry about what you have possibly walked through and what you are bringing into your house?
Do you put your feet up on the couch with your shoes on?
Do people with babies who are still crawling wear outdoor shoes inside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 06:16 PM

26,362 posts, read 53,793,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellabella View Post
Do you ever worry about what you have possibly walked through and what you are bringing into your house?
Yes, I take them off if they are dirty (like muddy). No otherwise.
Yes.
No.
Yes.

Do you use a towel to turn off the faucet in a restroom?
Do you jog against traffic or with it?

Old 04-15-2009, 06:17 PM

Yes to the towel for the tap and I don't jog lol!

Old 04-15-2009, 06:22 PM

5,375 posts, read 6,795,281 times
I've been thinking about this. I've often thought that the Japanese custom was a very good idea. My carpets are old, very old, and need replacing soon. I've been thinking of enacting a rule that nobody will wear shoes after I get my new carpets (probably later this year).

Do you use a towel to turn off the faucet in a public restroom? ... How about this: Do you use a paper towel to open the door when you exit? And if a trash receptacle isn't handy, do you just toss it in the restroom, and figure it's their poor design and they can pay for their janitors to pick it up?

Inquiring people want to know!

Old 04-15-2009, 06:29 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,550,107 times
I'm not Asian, but the custom of taking off one's shoes before entering the home makes all the sense in the world. I've done so for years. My shoes go in as far was the wooden landing behind my front door. The shoes go off; the indoor slippers come on, or I'll walk in my socks.

Also, if I need to step out into the backyard, the indoor slippers come off; the outdoor slippers come on.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:31 PM

I am from Canada and we take our shoes off, but I am moving to LA soon. We lived in Texas and everyone wore their shoes in my house, which kind of bugged me but I didn't want to be a B about it. So I didn't know if it was a local thing or if I will have to figure out how I want to deal with it.
We went to China town in Toronto, DH had to use a bathroom and it was so gross he didn't even want to wear his shoes in the car....he spent 15 min. wiping them off though....it was a nasty bathroom!

I do use a towel for the door and just find a bin to toss it in.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:46 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,390,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellabella View Post
1) yes, i take off my shoes and leave them just inside the front door every single time i enter my residence. i also ask the same of any guests - no exceptions.

i was raised in a household where this was standard practice. to do otherwise seems unnatural to me.

2) yes, i do. i've spent quite a few years living, working, and/or going to school in dense urban neighborhoods with very dirty sidewalks (animal waste, garbage, chewing gum, random liquids and stains) so i have always been conscious about where i step. even when exercising caution, sometimes you accidentally step in something rather disgusting.

3) no.

4) i don't have kids, but regardless, i would never wear shoes indoors under any circumstances.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:51 PM

26,362 posts, read 53,793,335 times
Too much of a hassle to take my shoes off and on each time I come in the house, especially on the weekends when I am working around the house. We have hard flooring just about everywhere and we clean it regularly. That's our trade off.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 PM

23 posts, read 55,913 times
No, no, sometimes - but I try to put a magazine underneath my shoes, n/a.

I work as a real estate agent so I'm in and out of a lot of houses. I've come to realize that a house does stay much cleaner without shoes - but it's just not for me. It can be a dilemma when you put your house on the market since some buyers are uncomfortable at the thought of taking off their shoes - and uncomfortable buyers aren't inclined to get enthusiastic about your house. We try to provide booties if possible. Truth be told either option makes me nervous since it's way too easy to slip on wood floors or stairs in particular in socks or booties. Different story of course in your own home where you can have inside shoes and outdoor shoes.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:26 PM

63 posts, read 217,564 times
Will always take my shoes off. You never know when you step on dog poo or pee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House