U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-19-2009, 03:20 AM

167 posts, read 1,016,997 times
Default Ants and Spiders - how to stop them entering your home?

How to stop these unwanted visitors in the home?

I have never seen any bug or any insect in my home when I used to live in Canada. Now that I moved to a warmer place, I see them a lot. Any ideas for insect proofing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 11:17 AM

3,651 posts, read 5,453,556 times
There are a ton of bug sprays out there that should do a good job (although none are full-proof). Go to your nearby home improvement store and browse, and ask the guy who works that area.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:53 PM

3,293 posts, read 10,411,264 times
Bug spray and do it yourself.
A routine pest control service.
Napalm.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:01 PM

1,643 posts, read 3,248,237 times
I use a hand crank spreader with terazizide around perimeter of house,preferably before rain 2-3 times a year.Takes a couple years to work but it will cut down on critters.Very effective over the long haul.I do same with all ant hills as I see them.Also spray door entry's.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:04 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,554,748 times
Spring is here and the bugs are definately coming out! What we do is buy those bug sprayer containers and spray the inside and outside of our house (on the floor around all the edges and baseboards) and spray especially good at the doorways. They aren't too expensive.

I'd give that a try before calling any exterminator. And if ants are really bad they make special ant killer things you can place around your house. You can buy those at walmart or any store.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:03 PM
f_m

2,290 posts, read 5,147,425 times
I've used the granules for ants that you sprinkle around the perimeter of the house, this kind of stuff is at Home Depot/Lowes. Seems you have to do it every few months.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:09 PM
NCN

14,084 posts, read 12,018,864 times
I sprayed down my patio and found the bug problem changed considerably. I think most bugs were coming through my sliding glass door. I also buy things to plug in the wall inside the house that give off a high pitched sound that irritates bugs and mice. We are just two adults. They say they are safe for small animals and children, but I would not have these with a baby. How would we know they don't bother small babies and children. I can't have bug sprays in the house because of allergies, so the plug ins work for me. One place that sells them is Lowe's.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:24 AM

3,196 posts, read 3,290,763 times
be careful. ... if you have dogs or cats, make SURE they don't touch the poison with their paws. Best way to do this is to not let them into the treated area for at least a few days. The poison spay MUST dry 100% before you let animals near the area.

Also, if you have black ants, you may have termites. Black ants hate termites and attack them whereever they are. So if you have black ants call a termite guy. Don't wait termites are pretty cheap to treat if you get them early. If you wait, termite repair can cost a jillion dollars.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the warmer USA. Warmer weather brings out the bugs.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:26 AM

228 posts, read 595,460 times
We live in Texas and have weep holes in our brick. We bought screen and filled those holes and that cut down on a lot of critters entering our home via these holes. I also spray Bengals all around the baseboards and especially any place that critters could come in ...use it every 3 months and dont have any problems...Dot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House