U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2009, 08:34 PM

314 posts, read 662,654 times
Default Clear product to coat & protect painted wood?

Have just finished rebuilding an outside deck. The harsh FL sun and standing rain cause the wood to rot after just a few (usualy 5 or less) short years. We use paint designed for decks but it's of little help. Is there a product that I can apply *after painting* that will further protect the wood? Possibly a clear poly of some type?

ETA: Not possible to use a stain as we have lots of millwork and bannisters that have to *frequently* be repainted white to remain clean. It drips onto the decks and porches...reason we use paint for all outside flooring. They can be retouched where white paint drips.

Oh people...don't buy an old Victorian house!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 09:29 PM

10,427 posts, read 28,431,756 times
There are many products on the market claiming to be the best. Screw them all.

What you want to look for are the new generation of synthetic clear sealers. The second thing you must look for are the magic words "UV resistant". If it is not synthetic and UV resistant then DO NOT BUY IT !!

Another word of warning, and do not let anyone tell you other wise. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT pressure wash the deck. If you must clean it before sealing then use a product that is an oxygen bleach and follow the directions on the bleach.

You will get posts that follow that will recomend Thompsons Water Seal. This product has been around for at least 20 years that I can remember. And like any product advertised on TV, it too is designed to take your money and not perform. If the TV says it works then it must right? Nothing on TV works.

Use those guidelines and you will find the right product.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:00 PM

3,347 posts, read 9,773,494 times
I second the UV resistant synthetic clear sealers. I live in South Texas and have the same problem with heat and sun. Except Texas is better.
I've also used exterior polyurethane. It comes UV resistant. You can get either clear gloss or semi gloss. the semi gloss makes the pain look best, clear gloss is too shiney.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM

5,069 posts, read 5,559,655 times
There's an almost 30 year-old house in Texas that as far as I know has wood that's never been treated or painted. The wood has "aged" and I wonder if it is too late to treat with this UV resistant synthetic clear sealer.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:42 PM

Awww...thanks. Thompson's Water Seal it is!

Just joking!!! I wrote down exactly what you people recommended and WILL NOT bring home anything else. Because my local home improvement stores lack employees who know their products, I am so thankful for you and your advice. Seriously!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:17 AM

7,397 posts, read 10,426,364 times
I have heard good things about Spar Urethane.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:01 AM

8,010 posts, read 20,627,850 times
The best performing UV resistant clear coating for durability will be an industrial outdoor rated polyurethane, rather than the "box store" level of product.

You will pay more for this type of product up front, but the payoff will be in it's performance and durability and protection.

There's also another family of industrial UV resistant products, which are pigmented "paints" (coating, in the trade) ... so you'll have a white deck coating that will wear well and be UV resistant without a topcoat. These are "polyamidoamines" based coatings, but again ... they're industrial. You see them all over your area on tank farms and similar storage facilities, or water towers. I know of at least three companies that make these products in the SouthEastern USA for professional use, but they don't target small retail sales ... so you won't see them in a "box store" or local retail "paint store".

What you need to do is head over to a professional level paint store ... perhaps theres a Sherwin Williams Industrial/Commercial store in your area, or an ICI/Devoe, or other major industrial paint supply house. Visit with one of their counter people about the problem you're having with the current paint you're using, and they should be able to advise you about an industrial quality coating that will be compatible with whatever you've put down now.

You'll hear a bunch of advisories about how much you'll need to use safety gear ... a particle mask, gloves, protective clothing, eye protection, etc ... which is really only common sense when using any of these products. It's the difference between the stuff that is going to work and the cheap stuff sold at the "box store" where most folks want cheap, easy, convenient ... and get poor performing products for their convenience.

There should be no problem with you buying the products, although you won't get the deep discount from the "suggested retail" price that a pro contractor would receive. Pay the price and the sales tax and you'll get the product that you want. The price will generally be several times per gallon what you've been used to paying at the box store ... but that's the cost of performance.

PS ... "spar varnish", even the UV rated stuff from some of the specialty manufacturers ... is typically good for about 18 months in the FL area before needing recoat work. Take it from someone who used to build and maintain wooden boats ... and it's not very happy when walked on with regular street shoes with dirt and debris to abrade the surface.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:26 AM

10,427 posts, read 28,431,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
The best performing UV resistant clear coating for durability will be an industrial outdoor rated polyurethane, rather than the "box store" level of product.

You will pay more for this type of product up front, but the payoff will be in it's performance and durability and protection.

There's also another family of industrial UV resistant products, which are pigmented "paints" (coating, in the trade) ... so you'll have a white deck coating that will wear well and be UV resistant without a topcoat. These are "polyamidoamines" based coatings, but again ... they're industrial. You see them all over your area on tank farms and similar storage facilities, or water towers. I know of at least three companies that make these products in the SouthEastern USA for professional use, but they don't target small retail sales ... so you won't see them in a "box store" or local retail "paint store".

What you need to do is head over to a professional level paint store ... perhaps theres a Sherwin Williams Industrial/Commercial store in your area, or an ICI/Devoe, or other major industrial paint supply house. Visit with one of their counter people about the problem you're having with the current paint you're using, and they should be able to advise you about an industrial quality coating that will be compatible with whatever you've put down now.

You'll hear a bunch of advisories about how much you'll need to use safety gear ... a particle mask, gloves, protective clothing, eye protection, etc ... which is really only common sense when using any of these products. It's the difference between the stuff that is going to work and the cheap stuff sold at the "box store" where most folks want cheap, easy, convenient ... and get poor performing products for their convenience.

There should be no problem with you buying the products, although you won't get the deep discount from the "suggested retail" price that a pro contractor would receive. Pay the price and the sales tax and you'll get the product that you want. The price will generally be several times per gallon what you've been used to paying at the box store ... but that's the cost of performance.

PS ... "spar varnish", even the UV rated stuff from some of the specialty manufacturers ... is typically good for about 18 months in the FL area before needing recoat work. Take it from someone who used to build and maintain wooden boats ... and it's not very happy when walked on with regular street shoes with dirt and debris to abrade the surface.
Listen to sunsprit. He/she improved my post with more detail. It's nice to get some intelligent answers for a change.

Yea !!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:29 AM

7,397 posts, read 10,426,364 times
Quote:
Come to think of it, the fella who wrote about it was in SoCal- quite different from Florida.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:48 AM

I'm really impressed with the info all of you have provided.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House